Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday 14 Jul 22

Tesla Ship Tracker

MORNING CHORUS has arrived at Shanghai South*. I'm not expecting her to depart to Singapore (refuel) until Sunday.
She is due to arrive in Southampton on 15 Aug and Zeebrugge on 18 Aug. As stated previously I expect this ship to be loaded with mostly RHD M3. Why? The itinerary is very similar to MORNING PEACE and the fact that no MY have been produced this month at all. Yes they may be possibly some dribs and drabs of leftovers from Q2 but it was a planned shutdown and the factory car parks were empty at the beginning of the month. MY production restarts with a vengence on Monday.

This is so far the only positively identified Tesla ship but looking at the recent WuWa video of the dockside, I expect the next ship to turn up as soon as MORNING CHORUS departs and I would expect it to head to Zeebrugge (but Koper is also an option).

Over in San Francisco VIKING QUEEN has still not departed to South Korea. I don't know why she has been delayed. The next ship to arrive, GLOVIS CORONA, is making her way up the Pacific coast but won't arrive until Saturday, so there's no rush. Since the Shanghai GF currently supply M3 and MY to S Korea the obvious question is what is it that Tesla are shipping to S Korea? Model S/X? Looking at the latest satellite images of Pier 80, there's just too many cars. I suspect that S Korea will just be a first stop and the bulk of the vehicles M3/MY will continue on to Taiwan. If you know otherwise, let me know!

Links of interest

*Shanghai South has many names - Luchao, Nangang, Hangzhou to name but 3 alternatives.

Maybe the mighty HORIZON LEADER can be another ship of interest .... hopefully she will dock at Luchao as well ?!?

She was already used by Tesla in the past .... hopefully again :)
Yes. I'm still trying to find an itinerary for her and so I'm sitting on the fence about her for the moment, however her anchorage position is a minus point in my opinion - it looks like she is poised to dock at the Haitong terminal.

Last edited:
This thread has now become a daily addiction!

My MY originally had an estimated delivery date of dec 5 - jan 19 but it’s now shifted to 2sep - 30sep so hopefully there might be some on the next shipment! Certainly looked like there were some Ys on the vid or from what I could tell from the footage looking at the thickness of the rear boot/screen or maybe it’s just wishful thinking!

This thread has now become a daily addiction!

My MY originally had an estimated delivery date of dec 5 - jan 19 but it’s now shifted to 2sep - 30sep so hopefully there might be some on the next shipment! Certainly looked like there were some Ys on the vid or from what I could tell from the footage looking at the thickness of the rear boot/screen or maybe it’s just wishful thinking!
Your MY has the same EDD as mine. I'm pretty confident that the car hasn't been made yet and you can rest assured I will be wanting to track its shipment to the UK. I will be looking for a departure from Shanghai at the end of this month/early Aug.

Your MY has the same EDD as mine. I'm pretty confident that the car hasn't been made yet and you can rest assured I will be wanting to track its shipment to the UK. I will be looking for a departure from Shanghai at the end of this month/early Aug.
That will be the ship for me too! The excitement is building. Awaiting your confirmation of a ship with anticipation Mr M! (As are many more of us im sure)

Lots of Irish folks like myself had our EDD pushed back yesterday evening from Aug\Sept to Q1 2023...about 2\3 weeks ago it got pulled in from Q1 to month or two from now, so seeing it go out again is disappointing but going on the fact the MORNING CHORUS is docked now, I'm hoping that it was just an administrative update and will see it go back to Aug\Sept in a couple of days 🤞

Reactions: JOL1
Friday 15 Jul 22

MORNING CHORUS is alongside and I assume is going to take about 4500 cars off the dockside. The latest WuWa video does seem to support my, not unreasonable, claim that this will be primarily a Model 3 shipment. ETA Southampton 15 Aug.

I'm expecting the next ship to not only be primarily Model 3 but also LHD, either to Zeebrugge (I reckon) or Koper. Which ship? I don't know yet and I have been looking.

Over in San Francisco VIKING QUEEN departed 24hrs later than I expected. I have still no idea what she is taking to S Korea.
GLOVIS CORONA will arrive alongside Pier 80 tomorrow. The depressing thing about GLOVIS CORONA is that at the moment she is maintaining over 200 NM off the US coast which means that she doesn't have to abide by regulations restricting discharges into the atmosphere and sea. She could pay to dispose of her toxic waste when she arrives alongside in San Francisco but it's much cheaper to just pump it overboard into the sea out of sight of anyone who cares.

Teslas in their thousands -- mostly Model 3s -- waiting on the docks at Luchao, as seen in the video posted today by Wu Wa; relevant areas marked up:
Screenshot 2022-07-15 at 22.17.19.jpg

Satellite image of the port terminal, dated 14 July, with the same areas marked up:
Screenshot 2022-07-15 at 22.19.57.jpg

MORNING CHORUS moored at Luchao, as seen in the same video posted today:
Screenshot 2022-07-15 at 22.25.36.jpg

Wu Wa's video:

Lots of Irish folks like myself had our EDD pushed back yesterday evening from Aug\Sept to Q1 2023...about 2\3 weeks ago it got pulled in from Q1 to month or two from now, so seeing it go out again is disappointing but going on the fact the MORNING CHORUS is docked now, I'm hoping that it was just an administrative update and will see it go back to Aug\Sept in a couple of days 🤞
My experience as well
Ordered mid June, LR, MSM, Black, Aeros, Ireland

To be honest, it’s expected. In a factory that at capacity is making about 2k cars a day it’s a few days output
Yes but the factory is not running at capacity - the MY line has been closed since the end of last month and only reopened yesterday. It will now be ramping up to produce over 2000 MY daily. I assume the M3 line will continue until its planned shutdown from Monday. When the M3 line reopens on 06 Aug it will be capable of producing over 1100 daily. A 50% increase in GF productivity from next month - simply amazing.
A lot of this increased production will go towards satisfying the demand from the local Chinese market. The delay of the Berlin GF coming online meant that Shanghai was producing MY for the EU at the expense of the Chinese domestic market (and Australia/NZ) and this drew criticism from the Chinese government - the GF was not meant to export at the levels it has been and plans to develop [edit] docks for Tesla exports were shelved before the GF opened. The Haitong RoRo Terminal was prior to the pandemic already operating at 100% capacity (4 ships per day). Slotting in Tesla charters that would take 36- 48 hrs to load tipped the balance and the the RoRo port became notorious for delays, not something that Tesla could tolerate.
Early last year the narrow channel that leads in to the Shanghai South pier was dredged to allow larger RoRos safe access and Tesla have clearly acquired access to more vehicle storage compounds at the port. With a 50% increase in production I would expect to see a commensurate increase in the logistical support and at the moment I'm not seeing that. I am seeing a huge increase in the smaller domestic RoRos which are now almost continually loading at Shanghai South but the sheer numbers involved will also require the continual presence of large RoRos too. As it stands the pier is not designed to handle RoRo traffic at this scale. The pier has long been used by other industries as well, notably the plant that produces large wind turbine blades. Hundreds of cars and stacks of huge wind turbine blades on a narrow pier are not a good mix. Time to dust off those plans methinks, a new pier is required.

Last edited:
I'm keeping an eye on GLOVIS SUMMIT at the moment.
You will recall that at the beginning of the month I tipped this ship as a possible.
She was due to arrive in Shanghai earlier this week but was diverted to South Korea (crew change?) but has since resumed her voyage to Shanghai.
She is now holding in an area well to the east of the normal Haitong anchorages which makes me think she isn't heading there. Shanghai South is a possible destination for her. We know she will be heading to Europe too. Watch this space.....

plans to develop the Luchao docks for Tesla exports were shelved before the GF opened.

As it stands the pier is not designed to handle RoRo traffic at this scale. The pier has long been used by other industries as well, notably the plant that produces large wind turbine blades. Hundreds of cars and stacks of huge wind turbine blades on a narrow pier are not a good mix. Time to dust off those plans methinks, a new pier is required.
I don't remember hearing about plans to expand Luchao Port, or about those plans being shelved. @Mr Miserable , can you provide more details on what those plans were, or a link to the story? Does it involve building a whole new pier? If so, it sounds like a massive infrastructure project, I wonder how long that would take from approval to completion (accounting for China speed).

Reactions: unk45
Friday 15 Jul 22

MORNING CHORUS is alongside and I assume is going to take about 4500 cars off the dockside. The latest WuWa video does seem to support my, not unreasonable, claim that this will be primarily a Model 3 shipment. ETA Southampton 15 Aug.

I'm expecting the next ship to not only be primarily Model 3 but also LHD, either to Zeebrugge (I reckon) or Koper. Which ship? I don't know yet and I have been looking.

Over in San Francisco VIKING QUEEN departed 24hrs later than I expected. I have still no idea what she is taking to S Korea.
GLOVIS CORONA will arrive alongside Pier 80 tomorrow. The depressing thing about GLOVIS CORONA is that at the moment she is maintaining over 200 NM off the US coast which means that she doesn't have to abide by regulations restricting discharges into the atmosphere and sea. She could pay to dispose of her toxic waste when she arrives alongside in San Francisco but it's much cheaper to just pump it overboard into the sea out of sight of anyone who cares.
Will any of these M3s go to Zeebrugge then Ireland after Southampton? And if so how many?
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.