Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday 10 Sep 22

Click HERE to see a wonderful map of the world. Superimposed on it are the latest positions, updated via satellite, of confirmed Tesla ships.

Those ships are:

GLOVIS SUNRISE is in the Mediterranean passing to the south of Sicily and is heading for Southampton where she is due to arrive on Thursday night 15 Sep.

GLOVIS SUN She is about to enter the Gulf od Suez and should arrive off Suez tomorrow morning. She may possibly be able to tag on to the tail of the northbound convoy to get least as far as the Great Bitter Lake. She could anchor there until the southbound wave have passed and then continue north. It will mean a late arrival into the Med but better than waiting until Monday. We shall have to see... I strongly suspect she is heading for Zeebrugge - My revised ETA ~ 20 Sep remains, at least for the moment.

GLOVIS CRYSTAL is also heading for Suez, although she still hasn't updated her AIS destination. She is running about 36 hrs behind GLOVIS SUN. She is heading for Koper with an arrival date of 16 Sep. She is heading north through the Red Sea.

GLOVIS COURAGE is crossing the Arabian Sea and is heading for Suez. She is bound for Barcelona with an ETA of 20 Sep.

I'm struggling to identify any ship that could arrive in Southampton around 27 Sep (which is when a ship is due according to numerous Tesla reps) that could be carrying Teslas, apart from GLOVIS COURAGE.
I'm also pretty confident that we haven't missed a shipment.

SUNRISE ACE is suspected of delivering Teslas to Singapore and is presently enroute to Barcelona (13 Sep) and eventually Zeebrugge on 21 Sep. Worth keeping an eye on possibly but I think it a very slim chance that she is actually carrying any Teslas.

GRAND VENUS has departed Shanghai South for Suez. She is not Tesla related as @Tentomushi found a schedule that has her heading for Bristol (probably MGs). Congestion at the main Shanghai terminal at Haitong may be causing the uptick in Shanghai South usage. There are at least 12 RoRos waiting to dock in Shanghai at the moment, however congestion is going to get worse because Typhoon Muifa is forecast to hit the Shanghai area on Thursday. Standby for the docks to close and the anchorages vacated as ships make their escape to safer waters.

Please check out the Links of interest There are some excellent links there which may answer any questions you have.

Saturday 10 Sep 22

Click HERE to see a wonderful map of the world. Superimposed on it are the latest positions, updated via satellite, of confirmed Tesla ships.

Those ships are:

GLOVIS SUNRISE is in the Mediterranean passing to the south of Sicily and is heading for Southampton where she is due to arrive on Thursday night 15 Sep.

GLOVIS SUN She is about to enter the Gulf od Suez and should arrive off Suez tomorrow morning. She may possibly be able to tag on to the tail of the northbound convoy to get least as far as the Great Bitter Lake. She could anchor there until the southbound wave have passed and then continue north. It will mean a late arrival into the Med but better than waiting until Monday. We shall have to see... I strongly suspect she is heading for Zeebrugge - My revised ETA ~ 20 Sep remains, at least for the moment.

GLOVIS CRYSTAL is also heading for Suez, although she still hasn't updated her AIS destination. She is running about 36 hrs behind GLOVIS SUN. She is heading for Koper with an arrival date of 16 Sep. She is heading north through the Red Sea.

GLOVIS COURAGE is crossing the Arabian Sea and is heading for Suez. She is bound for Barcelona with an ETA of 20 Sep.

I'm struggling to identify any ship that could arrive in Southampton around 27 Sep (which is when a ship is due according to numerous Tesla reps) that could be carrying Teslas, apart from GLOVIS COURAGE.

SUNRISE ACE is suspected of delivering Teslas to Singapore and is presently enroute to Barcelona (13 Sep) and eventually Zeebrugge on 21 Sep. Worth keeping an eye on possibly but I think it a very slim chance that she is actually carrying any Teslas.

GRAND VENUS has departed Shanghai South for Suez. She is not Tesla related as @Tentomushi found a schedule that has her heading for Bristol (probably MGs). Congestion at the main Shanghai terminal at Haitong may be causing the uptick in Shanghai South usage. There are at least 12 RoRos waiting to dock in Shanghai at the moment, however congestion is going to get worse because Typhoon Muifa is forecast to hit the Shanghai area on Thursday. Standby for the docks to close and the anchorages vacated as ships make their escape to safer waters.

Please check out the Links of interest There are some excellent links there which may answer any questions you have.
@Mr Miserable is there a possibility that the Glovis Sun would double back to Southampton after Zeebrugge? Maybe linked to her next itinerary? Now had my Delivery confirmed for 27th and the Tesla Enterprise Business team were adamant that this was the earliest date due to the ship arrival. Probably totally wrong but just a thought.

I wouldn't put much hope in an EDD in October for cars coming from Shanghai. MIG MY sure, but otherwise I very much doubt it will happen.
Nope it’s not made in Germany as the options and models of model Y and also model 3 shows that is coming from Shanghai. So how do you explain those EDD 10th to 25th of October? Very strange ? And more and more noises are telling about a non quarter delivery anymore?

Reactions: Edward Mango
Nope it’s not made in Germany as the options and models of model Y and also model 3 shows that is coming from Shanghai. So how do you explain those EDD 10th to 25th of October? Very strange ? And more and more noises are telling about a non quarter delivery anymore?
So far, EDD has been known to mean next to nothing until there is a VIN allocated. It tends to jump all over the place.

Reactions: Toblerone
So far, EDD has been known to mean next to nothing until there is a VIN allocated. It tends to jump all over the place.
no they are not, like this since 2 weeks, and plenty rumours that is the end of quarter delivery, now it will be continuous. a bit normal as if you produce more than 3000 cars a day and you want to send them by RORO, then it take longer to load than to produce, and you will have the harbour full. so it is an other clue about continuous shipping perhaps at the same time as the Chinese cars, and the RHD cars will still be produced quarterly?? will see very soon

no they are not, like this since 2 weeks, and plenty rumours that is the end of quarter delivery, now it will be continuous. a bit normal as if you produce more than 3000 cars a day and you want to send them by RORO, then it take longer to load than to produce, and you will have the harbour full. so it is an other clue about continuous shipping perhaps at the same time as the Chinese cars, and the RHD cars will still be produced quarterly?? will see very soon
I would be very happy to be proved wrong, as I have a Y LR white/white/19" on order with EDD 14 October - 20 November that I don't have any hope of getting to Norway before late November. But I haven't seen any evidence that Tesla will start shipping cars to Europe again until we enter October. I have seen some wishful thinking though. The only thing that can convince me otherwise is if I suddenly get a VIN assigned that is too high to be a reallocation from someone cancelling. I believe the highest VIN I have seen so far was in the 450XXX-460XXX ish range, correct me if I'm wrong.

The noise is caused by people wrongly assuming that GRAND VENUS is a Tesla ship. It's also based on a statement Elon made a year or so ago about getting rid of the end-of-quarter peak. He did that for the USA by moving all export manufacturing to China and, if Berlin had come online when it was meant to, MY for EU would be totally MIG which would even out EU deliveries of MY throughout the quarter. What he is not going to do is shoot himself in the foot by deliberately having $250m worth of cars at sea at the end of the quarter.
My advice is not to get your hopes up for a delivery in October of a car from Shanghai, and do not rely on the EDD from the Tesla website -they are notoriously inaccurate and change regularly.
I don't wish to get into an argument about it, my view will not change on this.

Sunday 11 Sep 22

Those ships are:

GLOVIS SUNRISE is in the Mediterranean passing the Algerian coast and is heading for Southampton where she is due to arrive on Thursday night 15 Sep.

GLOVIS SUN arrived at the entrance of Suez this morning and promptly dropped her anchor to wait until tomorrow morning's northbound convoy. I still strongly suspect she is heading for Zeebrugge - My revised ETA ~ 20 Sep remains, but we shall find out tomorrow for sure.

GLOVIS CRYSTAL is heading north through the Red Sea bound for Suez, although she still hasn't updated her AIS destination. She is now running about 24 hrs behind GLOVIS SUN. She is heading for Koper with an arrival date of 16 Sep.

Typhoon Muifa is still forecast to hit the Shanghai area on Thursday. The typhoon briefly became a category 4 storm earlier with winds of 130mph before calming to 110mph. The forecasters are now suggesting that by the time it hits Shanghai it may have reduced to Tropical Storm status. That's good news as far as the damaging winds are concerned but this storm will still produce huge amounts of rainfall and local flooding is a distinct possibility.
Ships are beginning to make their escape to safer waters to the south of Japan, however I'm still surprised by the number of ships (not RoRos!) still entering the path of the typhoon. In a typhoon last July, a total of 30 seaman were lost in the South China Sea.

It seems Glovis Sun updated its destination (unfortunately with a little delay) to Zeebrugge.
1662996189781.png

My Tesla Centre (Belgium - Hasselt) gave me an appointment for pickup 27/09 - seems about right considering transport (+1d?) and car prep (for which they take 2d they said).

It seems Glovis Sun updated its destination (unfortunately with a little delay) to Zeebrugge.
View attachment 851666
My Tesla Centre (Belgium - Hasselt) gave me an appointment for pickup 27/09 - seems about right considering transport (+1d?) and car prep (for which they take 2d they said).
The AIS ETA is, as predicted, 20 Sep.
The ETA shown on the tracker will vary depending on current speed etc but the AIS ETA should be derived from the voyage management system, at least on a modern vessel. In this case it is showing as 03:00 on 20 Sep.
I originally forecast an ETA for Zeebrugge to be around 19 Sep however based on the delay in arrival at Suez I amended it to 20 Sep a couple of days ago. I am just pleased that the destination was confirmed as Zeebrugge as my forecast was solely based on EU VIN activity and the fact it was most likely to be be heading to Zeebrugge.

Last edited:
Monday 12 Sep 22

Those ships are:

GLOVIS SUNRISE is approaching the Straits of Gibraltar and will be in the North Atlantic in a few hours time. She is heading for Southampton where she is due to arrive on Thursday night 15 Sep. It's worthy of note that her departure from Southampton has yet to appear on the Southampton board hinting that it may not be until the 18th. We shall find out when the board is updated at midnight tonight, UK time.

Update. GLOVIS SUNRISE is confirmed to be scheduled to depart Southampton to Zeebrugge on the morning of 18 Sep. I would not expect her to be carrying any Teslas to Zeebrugge.

GLOVIS SUN completed her Suez transit today and confirmed that, as forecast here, she is heading for Zeebrugge with an ETA of 20 Sep.

GLOVIS CRYSTAL has now arrived off Suez and should transit the canal tomorrow morning. She should arrive in Koper on Friday, 16 Sep.

GLOVIS COURAGE is now in the Gulf of Aden and is heading for Suez. She is bound for Barcelona with an ETA of 20 Sep.

I'm still struggling to identify any ship that could arrive in Southampton around 27 Sep (which is when a ship is due according to numerous Tesla reps) that could be carrying Teslas, apart from GLOVIS COURAGE.

SUNRISE ACE is suspected of delivering Teslas to Singapore and is presently enroute to Barcelona (tomorrow) and eventually Zeebrugge on 21 Sep. Worth keeping an eye on possibly but I think it a very slim chance that she is actually carrying any Teslas.

Typhoon Muifa is still forecast to hit the Shanghai area on Thursday (it has only moved 48 miles in the last 12 hours and so standby for that forecast to be modified) . The typhoon is not decaying as fast as originally forecast either. As of now it remains a category 2 storm. The forecasters are still suggesting that by the time it hits Shanghai it may have reduced to Tropical Storm status. That's good news as far as the damaging winds are concerned but this storm will still produce huge amounts of rainfall and local flooding is a distinct possibility.
It's hard to see but almost all of the RoRos have departed the Shanghai area to the east and I expect the Shanghai RoRo berths to remain unoccupied for a couple of days until the storm has passed to the north. The exception is TALIA which is presently trying to do a quick turnaround at Haitong. The latest reports of slow progress of the storm should mean that she has probably made a good judgement call.

Last edited:
Thanks to all contributors for your comments which have given added interest to what has been a tedious wait for my Model Y. Ordered early March with a supposed delivery date in May, this Englishman abroad has a collection date of September 19th in Rennes. I was surprised when other contributors to a French blog suggested mine would be on Glovis Companion which docked in Barcelona on Friday as there's a heck of a distance between Barca and Rennes, but it seems it did. A special thanks to Mr M and good luck and happy Tesla motoring to all.

Since 26th of August its possible to order Model Y RWD's in the Netherlands. For a week long most orders were told it would arrive between November and Januari (or one month later if you didn't include a tow bar). I'm guessing most of these are coming from Shanghai although Berlin has been pumping White and Black Y's so who knows. I've seen a few reports on dutch channels that they're already seeing 2week windows at the end of November. When would we be seeing ships for this? I've been trying to read up a lot but the "leaving harbor -> sms for pickup" timetable seems very variable.

Since 26th of August its possible to order Model Y RWD's in the Netherlands. For a week long most orders were told it would arrive between November and Januari (or one month later if you didn't include a tow bar). I'm guessing most of these are coming from Shanghai although Berlin has been pumping White and Black Y's so who knows. I've seen a few reports on dutch channels that they're already seeing 2week windows at the end of November. When would we be seeing ships for this? I've been trying to read up a lot but the "leaving harbor -> sms for pickup" timetable seems very variable.
If Q4 goes as expected I would expect the first Q4 shipments to arrive from Shanghai in early November.

Reactions: Bebob
Status
Not open for further replies.