Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Tesla Model 3 LR Projector to Matrix headlight retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried this with the latest version of toolbox 3 on my account and it sadly said the change was unauthorized by my account level. I have a 2019 sr+ I am trying to make several small gateway changes to, like adding pws speaker etc., and none of those changes it takes even if I try this way above. Has anyone been able to successfully issue any gateway change command that isn't listed as changeable by the tesla 3 toolbox dashboard? I even went as far as reverse engineering how they are sending commands from toolbox 3 scripts to odin via a secured web socket. I was able to send odin a command I crafted with the same token I captured from my computer even, however it validates your access level by the tokenv2 that's sent, so changing things "unauthorized" is still blocked. I've been poking around for a way to get access to the gateway directly, but have been met with the firewall on the driver side diag port obviously. I've heard something about broadReach ethernet on the tuner side being the way in to talk to the gateway directly, but unsure how people are authenticating even with it. I have a broadR reach adapter so I plan to poke around on that, but have heard the mcu needs to be in recovery mode first. If anyone has any info on this stuff, or has made any progress on it, feel free to pm me.
I poked at the gateway a bit myself today, but it's pretty secure. I haven't discovered a way to access. There could be some exploits hidden in the MCU, that can put the car into Factory Mode, but most of them, if not all, are patched at this point.

On the plus side, we now know that the command being issued is valid, and how to format the argument, but now we need a tech to do it. Thanks for confirming that consumer toolbox does not have the clearance to do it. Confirms what @verygreen mentioned earlier.

I poked at the gateway a bit myself today, but it's pretty secure. I haven't discovered a way to access. There could be some exploits hidden in the MCU, that can put the car into Factory Mode, but most of them, if not all, are patched at this point.

On the plus side, we now know that the command being issued is valid, and how to format the argument, but now we need a tech to do it. Thanks for confirming that consumer toolbox does not have the clearance to do it. Confirms what @verygreen mentioned earlier.
@stutech btw, was your gateway unlocked when you tried to send the command? If so, try unlocking it before connecting the toolbox. You can unlock the gateway by putting your keycard where it usually goes, holding down the brake, and the blinker stalk up for ten seconds. This should unlock it for 15 minutes.

@stutech btw, was your gateway unlocked when you tried to send the command? If so, try unlocking it before connecting the toolbox. You can unlock the gateway by putting your keycard where it usually goes, holding down the brake, and the blinker stalk up for ten seconds. This should unlock it for 15 minutes.
I believe it was unlocked when I tried it, but I will try it again here to verify, it might have timed out while I was trying a few things.

It should be unlocked when in service mode plus. But even if you issue the unlock command, it doesn’t change anything as far as toolbox goes

It should be unlocked when in service mode plus. But even if you issue the unlock command, it doesn’t change anything as far as toolbox goes
Figured it be worth a double check. He never mentioned the car being in service mode plus either.

But either way, I guess we'll have to do it with an actual service tech. I suppose you could order the parts and have a ranger bring it to you, and bribe them with a 6 pack to make the config change while they're there. :p

Gotcha. So then it pretty much confirms that our toolboxes simply do not have the access clearance needed to do this.
Yes unfortunately toolbox you can purchase does not have access to change anything more than 12v battery type, power lift gate installed, coolant pump loop count and a few other things like towing mode enabled, at least on my account. Something interesting you can do with toolbox 3 though is add your own sim card and enable the physical sim slot/ disable esim.

Yes unfortunately toolbox you can purchase does not have access to change anything more than 12v battery type, power lift gate installed, coolant pump loop count and a few other things like towing mode enabled, at least on my account. Something interesting you can do with toolbox 3 though is add your own sim card and enable the physical sim slot/ disable esim.
May I PM you?

Yeah theirs basically no way to change things not sanctioned, unless it's adding the towing package or some other silly stuff. Well unless you like taking half the car apart and doing advanced MCU tricks, which I definitely don't recommend for most users. They have been adding more stuff you can change in toolbox lately though, so I hope they eventually add things like the PWS enable to it since that's not dangerous or anything. You can however fix bad software installs with toolbox though, in my case it fixed a software update issue I kept having that Tesla wanted to charge me a lot for.

Yeah theirs basically no way to change things not sanctioned, unless it's adding the towing package or some other silly stuff. Well unless you like taking half the car apart and doing advanced MCU tricks, which I definitely don't recommend for most users. They have been adding more stuff you can change in toolbox lately though, so I hope they eventually add things like the PWS enable to it since that's not dangerous or anything. You can however fix bad software installs with toolbox though, in my case it fixed a software update issue I kept having that Tesla wanted to charge me a lot for.
More than toolbox?

I actually meant if Tesla was trying to charge you more than the Toolbox cost to make the repair. :p
Oh yes they tried to claim I had a bad PCS and wanted 3k when it was actually a cache issue making it not update, so toolbox was still worth it. Plus I did get the car to recognize the tow hitch ecu I got off eBay so turning on that function with toolbox made it worth it too :)

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
Oh yes they tried to claim I had a bad PCS and wanted 3k when it was actually a cache issue making it not update, so toolbox was still worth it. Plus I did get the car to recognize the tow hitch ecu I got off eBay so turning on that function with toolbox made it worth it too :)
Very interesting on PCS, how did you determine it was a cache issue? I have an out-of-warranty 2018 with 80k miles on it so I'm staying educated in case my PCS luck runs out.

so i spoke to a shop out in NORCAL says they can get them to work so anyone who switches to the matrix headlights, they'll reprogram it etc. They charge $900 for the reprogramming itself. I'm not sure if its a true reprogramming but thats what they said

Reactions: WhiteM3P-

Can you tell us what other retrofit and reprogramming is supported by the public toolbox? Would it allow MCU upgrades?

Very interesting on PCS, how did you determine it was a cache issue? I have an out-of-warranty 2018 with 80k miles on it so I'm staying educated in case my PCS luck runs out.
I just ran a clear update cache and it worked. I had also ran diagnostics on the pcs and determined it was working fine. In my case it actually was my aftermarket sub woofer tapped into the penthouse that was triggering false positive PCS over current errors that Tesla blindly assumed were breaking updates. You can run tests on the charging modules in the pcs too with toolbox and it shows if any of them are failing or weak.