Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit to matrix (global) headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s been done on 3/Y and the headlight itself is a direct swap but it requires someone with elevated toolbox access to change the gateway configuration in order for it to work. The refreshed S/X is probably similar but don’t quote me on that.

• Informative
Reactions: MSJack
It’s been done on 3/Y and the headlight itself is a direct swap but it requires someone with elevated toolbox access to change the gateway configuration in order for it to work. The refreshed S/X is probably similar but don’t quote me on that.
Yeah I read about the 3/Ys but wanted to check if that’s the case for Model X too.

I guess the hard part is changing the gateway config.

Umm what was the process?
Insta link just shows blinking turn signal
If I had posted a picture of it installed, can’t really tell it’s the matrix headlights.

The process :

1. Install matrix ligjt
2. Requires 4 wire to 3 wire harness
3. Update your config file which requires some hardware is you don’t have Ethernet port in your car
IMG_4537.jpeg
IMG_4538.jpeg

IMG_4498.jpeg

Reactions: skytom88
I've been told by my Tesla contact that you need the 1000.
One of these may be of interest to you

Curiously being sold by a liquidator in Fremont..

The first link seems to use an ix industrial connector instead of a typical RJ45, but those ixindustrial to RJ45 cables are cheap enough. You would also need to make or buy a matenet to H-MTD connector to connect to the car.

Just to be clear, model X should not require headlight adapters. The connectors and pinouts are the same. Model S is the oddball there.

Still need the gateway configuration update though
The connector on my non-matrix didn’t match the matrix light connector. So an adaptor harness was required (6 pin to 3 pin). I believe it’s same for Mx refresh.

6 pin non-matrix

IMG_4790.jpeg

3 pin adaptor
IMG_4538.jpeg