Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit to matrix (global) headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a heavy lift. Glad you guys figured out how to do that.

TESLA during light show

IMG_5970.jpeg

Reactions: towndrunk
Same info is there for the model X in the service manual

Also note to make left/right adjustments on US cars, you have to enter the headlight adjust menu while the car is in service mode.
So just to update this -- as I found out this weekend as I was trying to more accurately aim the headlights, turns out the page for the model X global headlight adjustment is missing. What's labeled as global shows the procedure for the old headlights. (Model X Service Manual | Tesla for reference)

But it's actually not too bad to figure out. All of Tesla's measurements assume a 0 degree decline and 0 degree left/right tilt while in the adjustment mode. The car will set the appropriate declination angle (1% for European cars) automatically after setting the 0 aim.

So without knowing Tesla's actual measurements, find a wall with a decent bit of level ground by it. Park as close as possible, making sure your car is perpendicular to the wall. Put the car in the headlight adjust mode. Mark the vertical and horizontal lines where you see them on the wall. Back up (ideally 25ft, but technically since all of the angles are 0º, closer will also work, just more prone to error). Adjust the headlights to match the vertical and horizontal lines you made. If your horizontal aim was way off at first, you might want to repeat the procedure to get it more close to the true center line.

Effectively the procedure is similar to the procedure for US headlamps here Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply, except horizontal aiming is possible (from service mode on US spec cars, I think European cars allow horizontal aim outside of service mode).

Using an actual optical aimer would be better... but no shop near me seems to have one. And doesn't seem to be something easy for normal people to buy even if willing to spend serious bucks.

Last edited:
Hi, I have a Model X Dual motor/Long Range/ produced in late February 2023. The car has hardware 4 but is without matrix headlights.
I read the whole discussion.

1. I am from Europe and I wanted to ask if I replace the premium lights with matrix ones will the Adaptive High Beam work which was introduced in the latest software update for the cars with matrix lights?

2. Is my understanding correct that:
- First I need to buy "Global" Matrix headlights for model X and "Model X Refresh Matrix Headlight Adapter"?
- After the installation I need to find someone capable to edit the config file of the car, and the OTA updates will continue to work?
- If my car has a ethernet port, under the screen, behind the phone charger I will NOT need media converter, the computer will directly connect to the car trough the ethernet port?

Thank you :)

Hi, I have a Model X Dual motor/Long Range/ produced in late February 2023. The car has hardware 4 but is without matrix headlights.

1. I am from Europe and I wanted to ask if I replace the premium lights with matrix ones will the Adaptive High Beam work which was introduced in the latest software update for the cars with matrix lights?

- First I need to buy "Global" Matrix headlights for model X and "Model X Refresh Matrix Headlight Adapter"?
- After the installation I need to find someone capable to edit the config file of the car, and the OTA updates will continue to work?
- If my car has a ethernet port, under the screen, behind the phone charger I will NOT need media converter, the computer will directly connect to the car trough the ethernet port?

Sounds about right

Reactions: leecox and ML16

Can you let me know where you will buy the headlights? Still struggling with that..

Oh, and don't forget about the adapter cables...

@Bart44, Hi I live in Bulgaria, we have a Bulgarian shipping company which has an office in the USA and one time in a month they make shipment to Sofia. Basically you ship your items to them and they bring them to you. But it is not cheap and you pay additionally duties and taxes for importing staff in the EU.
I ordered the adapters like this because it is a small and not heavy item. I am still trying to find the lights in Europe, but as I understand you can pick them only from Tesla, but if you do not have a car with a VIN that has Matrix lights they will not sell them to you. If I don't find them in the next couple of weeks in Europe I will order them from "zapaska".
If you find something in the EU please write here :) I will do the same.

Reactions: Bart44