Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit to matrix (global) headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah im scheduled for my programming today as well. So you didn't unplug the lv at all just powered off and on the car after the swap to test?
I had the new lights plugged in before the programming. They didn't work until a can redeploy (basically a software update minus the main computer itself). I didn't unplug the LV to do so.

Im doing my install today. QQ for the group. When unplugging the LV you're doing this before unplugging the old lights right. Prolly a stupid question but it never hurts to ask. So Power down car, unplug lv, disconnect old headlights and plug up globals, plug back in LV and power on the car to test?
Usually I only unplug LV and first responder only if I’m swapping boards. I did a VCLeft board update from version 2 to 3 and disconnected before.

I’ve done those a few times now. I recommend plugging in the matrix, right before the coding begins. Because the matrix is not yet updated the car so the lights may be constant on. If left in too long, the LV battery will complain and may drain.
I guess it’s a ymmv thing. Mine didn’t turn on at all until after the coding and then can redeploy

Reactions: Daytonaviolet
Just to report, got my 2023 Model X LR (June 2023 build) updated with matrix lights over the weekend. I missed this by ~1 week when I got my car.
It did have an ethernet port. I've never done any modification to a car myself and taking off fender flares, wheel liner, side bumper (the corner where the headlights are) were a pain. Took me about ~5 hours to do the whole thing. Some bolts were very hard to reach with the tools I had.

I was slightly skeptical about improvement in light output vs. old lights and whether this effort was worth it. It is a huge improvement in light output, super bright and reaches farther out and wider. This was well worth the effort and some cost. (I went from 0.5/0.5 vision to 20/20 or blurry vision to finally getting glasses? lol)

Just to report, got my 2023 Model X LR (June 2023 build) updated with matrix lights over the weekend. I missed this by ~1 week when I got my car.
It did have an ethernet port. I've never done any modification to a car myself and taking off fender flares, wheel liner, side bumper (the corner where the headlights are) were a pain. Took me about ~5 hours to do the whole thing. Some bolts were very hard to reach with the tools I had.

I was slightly skeptical about improvement in light output vs. old lights and whether this effort was worth it. It is a huge improvement in light output, super bright and reaches farther out and wider. This was well worth the effort and some cost. (I went from 0.5/0.5 vision to 20/20 or blurry vision to finally getting glasses? lol)
Also note that you can adjust up/down and left/right (in service mode) digitally.

Reactions: skytom88
I think you will find a detailed guide here
Somewhere they have guides for manual against wall guide, and another one for professionals with tools.

At least for Model3, just noticed this is a model X tread😊
Same info is there for the model X in the service manual

Also note to make left/right adjustments on US cars, you have to enter the headlight adjust menu while the car is in service mode.