Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Tesla Model 3 LR Projector to Matrix headlight retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is a question or a statement, but the answer is yes to both. "powerLiftgateType" is available to code via the public Toolbox.

I don't know what would happen if you set it to either OEM (1) or retrofit (2) without the requisite equipment.

Not sure if this is a question or a statement, but the answer is yes to both. "powerLiftgateType" is available to code via the public Toolbox.

I don't know what would happen if you set it to either OEM (1) or retrofit (2) without the requisite equipment.
Mostly a question. EVOffer has a video where they show the Tesla liftgate retrofit being replaced with their own auto liftgate retrofit. In that situation the in car and in app UI continues to function like an OEM auto liftgate retrofit. I'm wondering if I can make this same change on my 2018 with the EVOffer retrofit and have it persist without first having Tesla install their retrofit (which they won't do because their retrofit isn't compatible with my vehicle).

Reactions: davidalindsey
Mostly a question. EVOffer has a video where they show the Tesla liftgate retrofit being replaced with their own auto liftgate retrofit. In that situation the in car and in app UI continues to function like an OEM auto liftgate retrofit. I'm wondering if I can make this same change on my 2018 with the EVOffer retrofit and have it persist without first having Tesla install their retrofit (which they won't do because their retrofit isn't compatible with my vehicle).
My guess is yes you could. You would need to set it to "2" because that's what Tesla set it to when they retrofit the OEM powered boot. It's not so much a retrofit in actuality as it is a different integrated system that does the same job. The retrofit has two struts vs OEM having one, a bespoke latch and as I understand it a discrete CPU.

It's worth noting that I believe you have to upgrade your EVOffer trunk kit to version 3.0 for this all to work properly. This costs $100 for older kits. The reason for this, I presume, is because it has been made to work with the OEM coding. The 2.5 and earlier trunk software makes the car think the trunk is closed when it's actually open, so that you have a button you cn press on the UI to close it (otherwise the car would disable the button).

Reactions: TSteve
Have you messed with this at all? I found a 100-baseT1 adapter relatively cheap (RDDRONE-T1ADAPT: Ethernet media converter). Seems like the radio is the most accessible option for the two wire ethernet.

I imagine if it's possible to talk to the gateway, the process would involve unlocking the gateway and entering the socat commands to raise a shell? Most of the hints I can find are from a few years ago and largely legacy S/X stuff, so I'm not sure if any of that still applies.
If my PM with them is any indication, 2 different adapters were attempted unsuccessfully.
Unfortunately both adapters I tried didn't work, not sure if something I was doing was wrong, but it seems the Tesla broad R reach is really picky about the adapter. I know there are some sketchy ways to get the MCU into a mode you can write values, but they aren't posted publicly for people's own good. Yes though it involves socat in Ubuntu to send commands though.

So just to update on this, using the adapter above I was able to connect to the broadr reach network at the radio tuner's wires, but it seems locked down pretty tight.

The only device I can access is the CID itself, but all the ports are locked down. Curiously if I set the IP address to the IP address of the tuner, port 5555 of the CID is open, but I'm not sure that's useful for our purposes. I couldn't ping the gateway at all.

To be determined if using one of the autopilot computer ethernet connections would work (I believe this would require gigabit as well -- I do have an adapter for that, but cables are still on their way).

1708916850490.png

Can anyone who has fitted the newer “global” style rear lights with amber turn signals, twin reverse and fog lights and C-style brake lights tell me if:
  1. You changed “rearLightType” in the gateway configuration to 2
  2. Whether the in car visual UI shows the correct brake lights configuration
Thanks.

I changed mine to “global” I don’t remember what number that corresponds to. The UI doesn’t reflect the change. This is true even on cars with them from the factory.

For rear fogs, you also have to enable the rear fog parameter.

Can anyone who has fitted the newer “global” style rear lights with amber turn signals, twin reverse and fog lights and C-style brake lights tell me if:
  1. You changed “rearLightType” in the gateway configuration to 2
  2. Whether the in car visual UI shows the correct brake lights configuration
Thanks.
I see you are in UK. The outer lights should be plug and play for you with no coding necessary.

The inner light may require 3->4 pin adapter and extra wiring for dual reverse and dual fog. Also should not need any coding.

Hello everyone, i'm about to change my 2019 TM3 headlights with 2021 matrix headlights. Does anyone have any screenshots on how to change the gateway config (i've read configId 28 to 2) to enable the new matrix headlights, using the toolbox v3 ?

Thanks in advance

Just did the retrofit on my 2020 Model 3 and it worked successfully! I bought new matrix headlights on eBay for around $550 and swapped them out myself. Found a contact on the forum that was able to do the gateway config change for me remotely and it worked! Super happy with the install and was able to sell my old headlights for $250 so didn't spend that much money in total. I also had to buy the ethernet to diagnostic cable as I have an intel MCU. Even changes to show matrix lights on your app and the in vehicle visualization. Shows TESLA text in light show too.
Who is your contact if you don’t mind. In desperate need to get my rear taillights recoded to global. Having the amber turn signal and brake lights coming on at the same time.

Incase you don’t have the matrix headlights installed yet you can still update the config and the projector headlights will still work.
Actually I tried this when I got them coded, it definitely does not work. The headlights themselves might turn on, but the signaling for CANBUS must be different because my turn signals and high beams did not function at all.

Reactions: davidalindsey