Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like the manual may have not been updated recently in regards to model X towing. Towing package has been standard since 2017.

Did the model X 2022 refresh keep everything the same with hitch receiver? Is it any stronger? Can it carry more vertical weight than the manual says?

Thule Access (25.5 kg) plus Thule Range (16.3 kg). I was planning on buying a real SUV that can hold weight like Yukon Xl, Suburban, or Navigator L, but decided to buy an X last night. This is holding me up. Why can't it hold a few more kg vertical limit?

"
Carrying Accessories
The Model X towing package has a 2" hitch receiver that can support an accessory carrier.

The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads of up to 120 lbs (54 kg). When carrying bicycles or other items on the Model X hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded. When calculating weight, remember to include the weight of the accessory carrier. For example, assuming the carrier weighs 40 lbs, the weight threshold is sufficient for carrying two bicycles weighing approximately 40 lbs each, or four bicycles weighing approximately 20 lbs each.

CAUTION
The Model X hitch is designed to support up to 120 lbs (54 kg). Exceeding this maximum weight can cause significant damage.
"

I don’t have a 2022, but looking at the manual it is the exact same “official” hitch that has been used since the 2016 model. The receiver is removable, which is cool for aesthetics, but creates a weak point in the system - that’s the reason for the 120lb vertical weight limit, which makes it all but useless for bikes unless you only need to carry one.

Many that have run into this (including myself) have replaced this hitch with a Draw-Tite model which increases the vertical limit to 750lb: 2020 Tesla Model X Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com

I don’t have a 2022, but looking at the manual it is the exact same “official” hitch that has been used since the 2016 model. The receiver is removable, which is cool for aesthetics, but creates a weak point in the system - that’s the reason for the 120lb vertical weight limit, which makes it all but useless for bikes unless you only need to carry one.

Many that have run into this (including myself) have replaced this hitch with a Draw-Tite model which increases the vertical limit to 750lb: 2020 Tesla Model X Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com
I think you are mixing terms and concepts based on many past discussions. The hitch you point to is for tongue weight at 750 lbs and the standard one is 500 lbs.

Vertical weight is different. Manual pages below even clearly state this.

TvRtNen.jpg

UIxJZQt.jpg

I think you are mixing terms and concepts based on many past discussions. The hitch you point to is for tongue weight at 750 lbs and the standard one is 500 lbs.

Vertical weight is different. Manual pages below even clearly state this.

TvRtNen.jpg

UIxJZQt.jpg

While you are correct, the limitation for vertical weight is due to the stock Bosal receiver design. It also can’t support a rise greater than .75” for towing for the same reason.

As @gcz9912 said, many of us have replaced the stock hitch with the Draw-Tite. It’s a single piece hitch without the removable receiver, and that gives you the strength to support the higher vertical load.

That Bosal design has a cool aesthetic but really, really has some weak points that I don’t like.

Reactions: wreighven
that’s the reason for the 120lb vertical weight limit, which makes it all but useless for bikes unless you only need to carry one.

Agree with all above except for this, I was driving with two MTBs without any problems. 4 bikes is where I wouldn't trust that hitch receiver.

I've carried these two eBikes (without batteries) for several hundred miles.

8NaatrY.jpg

7sxADQr.jpg

There's more than that. Factory hitch receiver have a rear wall, so it's limited in how deep you can push the bike rack through. For example my Lolo 4-bike vertical rack have two pin holes and they recommend to use second one. Factory Tesla hitch receiver doesn't allow that because of the back wall in the receiver...

I wonder why they discontinued the Thule Access. It's pretty impressive how it connects to the hitch receiver. Sorta expands in to it. The thule range (the heavy-a## RV approved bike rack) was bought when I thought I would always own tank SUVs built on truck frames. I wasn't planning on an electric cross-over "SUV." I hope cybertruck encourages Elon to get some new hobbies with the cybertruck and decides to make a real-SUV based on that "frame" (I know it's a shell). He needs to get in to Organic farming for his Mars trip and start making tractors and large vehicles.

How many "new" design model X have been delivered? What percentage of people actually "upgrade" to a solid hitch? Probably very few. How long until we find out if the aftermarket hitch works with the "new" (possibly unchanged) plastic design by hidden receiver? Can we just pressure Elon to make a better solid hitch for vertical weight?

I am a bit confused about vertical weight limit. All tow hitches I find has only the tow and tongue weight limit. I thought tongue weight (the force acting vertically downward on the ball) IS the vertical weight. What am I missing?
One has wheels attached, the other is free.

Vertical weight limit is for hitch mounted bike rack or hitch mounted cargo carrier.

Tongue weight is for trailers.

I don't know the physics on forces but would like to learn if a physics professor is a member of the forum.

I ordered a 2022 X but won't be delivered until 2023 so I don't actually know the model year.
Looks like this hitch is only confirmed to fit until 2021. Maybe I will have to weld a custom hitch...

It fits. I bring five bikes on a carrier so I bought that same receiver for my 2022 X after someone on the forum said it did still fit.
I was able to install it in about two hours without much trouble.

I didn’t realize the tongue weight vs vertical weight thing, and thanks all for the education. But, I’ve had an X for 6 years, and I have gone on many trips with a 4 bike 1-up rack with very heavy ebikes totaling 250-300 pounds. Never an issue that I know of. I found this thread while wondering if I could put a motorbike on the hitch on a tray. I decided not to.

I didn’t realize the tongue weight vs vertical weight thing, and thanks all for the education. But, I’ve had an X for 6 years, and I have gone on many trips with a 4 bike 1-up rack with very heavy ebikes totaling 250-300 pounds. Never an issue that I know of. I found this thread while wondering if I could put a motorbike on the hitch on a tray. I decided not to.
There have been other threads about this question of vertical weight loads (e.g. a bike rack) on a hitch vs tongue weight loads when towing a trailer. The forces are very different. The bike rack is unsupported and acts like a lever arm force on the hitch; the force increases rapidly as the load increases and as the load point gets farther away from the hitch. A trailer is supported (by the road) at all times. Not the same thing.

Loading a factory X hitch with over 250 lbs (are you including the weight of the rack? You need to) is risking hitch failure and losing your bikes. Not only would your bikes be wrecked but cars behind you on the highway could hit the bikes or lose control trying to avoid hitting them and people could be injured or worse. You could end up on the wrong end of a catastrophic lawsuit.

I've carried these two eBikes (without batteries) for several hundred miles.
7sxADQr.jpg

As @gcz9912 said, many of us have replaced the stock hitch with the Draw-Tite. It’s a single piece hitch without the removable receiver, and that gives you the strength to support the higher vertical load.
Have you had any problems using Superchargers with bikes behind your Model X?