Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
250 lbs on 2000 miles road trips for 5yrs w factory hitch

Attachments

• IMG_2609.jpeg
    IMG_2609.jpeg
    640.2 KB · Views: 163
Reactions: GasNah
Good guess in blue just doing the math (120*750)/500. Obviously, the designs are different so it could be more.
vert ~120; tongue 500 - Tesla
vert ~180; tongue 750 - Other

Replying to a bit old post..

I'm not sure the math holds. The OEM Bosal hitch only says "max tongue weight 500lbs". Only place where you find the 120lbs vertical limit is the Tesla owners manual or website.

So is possible 120lbs limit comes from car limits somehow, not from the hitch itself. As mentioned earlier, bike rack causes twisting force that tries to lift the front of the car.. maybe Tesla just thinks that car might become unstable with such loading. Loose front grip in extreme situations?

So is possible 120lbs limit comes from car limits somehow, not from the hitch itself. As mentioned earlier, bike rack causes twisting force that tries to lift the front of the car.. maybe Tesla just thinks that car might become unstable with such loading. Loose front grip in extreme situations?
How much weight do you think ends up on the hitch when you hit some weird spots on highways at 60+ and the car bounces. 2 times, 3 times?
Check out that picture right above your last post. Yikes. See: Model X/Y bike rack loading issues
I had a welder add a hitch to the back of our camping trailer. The highway bounce caused it to bend down and had to get reinforced.

I'm not sure the math holds. The OEM Bosal hitch only says "max tongue weight 500lbs". Only place where you find the 120lbs vertical limit is the Tesla owners manual or website.
@Zuikkis - any chance you've got a link to the OEM docs from Bosal?

Been researching this myself and am curious to get to the bottom of it.

Several other threads of note:

Reactions: scottf200
@Zuikkis - any chance you've got a link to the OEM docs from Bosal?

Nope, sorry. But all the warning stickers in the hitch itself only say 500lbs. That's why I'm skeptical that upgrading to 750lbs hitch does anything to the 120lbs limit.

But the 120lbs limit is silly without information on how far away the weight is. I'm sure if you stick a 20 feet pole into the hitch receiver, you can lift the front of the car by simply stepping on the end of the pole..

But the 120lbs limit is silly without information on how far away the weight is. I'm sure if you stick a 20 feet pole into the hitch receiver, you can lift the front of the car by simply stepping on the end of the pole..
That would have to be an extremely rigid pole. 😉

Yes, the 120 lb limit is likely conservative since the hitch manufacturer has no way of knowing exactly how far from the hitch the user will place their load (i.e., bikes, cargo box, etc.). But a reasonable assumption can be made that the load will not be more than about two feet from the hitch.

IMO it would be unwise to exceed the weight limit. One might get away with it for awhile until one day you unexpectedly drive at speed over a speed bump that you did not realize was there and you break the hitch, potentially dumping your bikes on the road right in front of a car following close behind you.

• Helpful
A lot of folks are adding the bike rack weight plus the bikes. A good portion of the bike rack would go towards the tongue weight limit. So 120 lb limit of high leveraged weight isn’t that restrictive. You can probably handle 4 conventional bikes or 2 e-bikes safely. I put two e bikes on a Thule hitch on stock X and “stock” S for 100’s of miles with no issues. I try to keep the bikes as close to the vertical post as possible to minimize the leverage. I think Tesla is basically saying 120 lbs of bikes (at the end of the lever). You’ll never calculate it exactly since the specs are so loosy goosy. And if they were more specific good luck calculating the weights & forces ;)

Stock hitch is pretty strong.

There is confusion because the manual says the hitch weight limit is 120 lbs. But Tesla's website for their approved 4-bike rack (which weighs 40 lbs) says the Hitch Rack is designed to support loads up to 120 lbs, which would imply rack+load limit of 160 lbs. To reduce weight of my e-bikes, I remove the batteries for transport and cover the opening with painter's tape to keep the contacts clean.
Model X Manual - Towing and Accessories
Model X/Y Hitch Rack

A lot of folks are adding the bike rack weight plus the bikes. A good portion of the bike rack would go towards the tongue weight limit. So 120 lb limit of high leveraged weight isn’t that restrictive.
It’s not a “tongue weight” limit (which is 500 lbs when towing a trailer) it’s a vertical load weight limit.
There is confusion because the manual says the hitch weight limit is 120 lbs. But Tesla's website for their approved 4-bike rack (which weighs 40 lbs) says the Hitch Rack is designed to support loads up to 120 lbs, which would imply rack+load limit of 160 lbs.
When calculating the ”load” you include the rack weight. See the Model X manual:
When carrying bicycles or other items on the Model X hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded. When calculating weight, remember to include the weight of the accessory carrier. For example, assuming the carrier weighs 40 lbs, the weight threshold is sufficient for carrying two bicycles weighing approximately 40 lbs each, or four bicycles weighing approximately 20 lbs each.
This has been discussed extensively in other TMC threads.

• Helpful
Nope, sorry. But all the warning stickers in the hitch itself only say 500lbs. That's why I'm skeptical that upgrading to 750lbs hitch does anything to the 120lbs limit...

Adding this post from another thread which seems to address the weight question:

...I have previously reached out to Tesla for clarification. Looks like they have now updated the user manual to the following [see text below]...We can do some basic math. The hitch receiver is 8" long, therefore we have a total length of 32" (8" + 24"). Since we can have up to 120 lbs at 32", thats a total of 3,840 in/lbs (32" * 120lbs) of torque. Dividing 3,840 in/lbs by 8" gives us 480 lbs, which is very close to the tongue weight specification given by Bosal.

"The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads of up to 120 lbs (54 kg) when the load is cantilevered rearward within 24 inches (63 cm) of the hitch receiver, such as when carrying bikes on an accessory rack."

Reactions: ecarfan
It's the removable pin connection that is weak on tesla hitch hence lower vertical rating...

Aftermarket hitch is permanently welded receiver hence higjer limit

There's no evidence to back this up, though.

You would think the removable Bosal hitch is weakest if pulled straight down, towards the direction where you remove it. All the weight is resting on the locking pins. And they claim it still holds 500lbs in that direction.

Bike rack creates force in forwards/backwards direction, which should be easy thing for Bosal design.

So, I'm still pretty confident the 120lbs limit is a car limit, not hitch limit.

Bike rack creates force in forwards/backwards direction, which should be easy thing for Bosal design.
The weight of the rack plus bikes applies a vertical force on the hitch (which I don’t think of as “forwards/backwards”), like a lever arm, a force which can be multiplied when the vehicle hits a bump. That is why the Tesla manual uses the term “cantilevered” and gives a specific “rearward” value. They don’t want the load to any farther out to the rear of the vehicle because that multiplies the lever arm force.

"The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads of up to 120 lbs (54 kg) when the load is cantilevered rearward within 24 inches (63 cm) of the hitch receiver, such as when carrying bikes on an accessory rack."

The Bosal hitch would certainly be stronger if it was not a two-piece hitch.

There's no evidence to back this up, though.

You would think the removable Bosal hitch is weakest if pulled straight down, towards the direction where you remove it. All the weight is resting on the locking pins. And they claim it still holds 500lbs in that direction.

So, I'm still pretty confident the 120lbs limit is a car limit, not hitch limit.
The evidence is in the rating!!!!Bosal vs aftermarket

The evidence is in the rating!!!!Bosal vs aftermarket

Hitches don't have a rating for vertical loads, just tongue weight.

120lbs vertical load limit comes from Tesla, not Bosal.

Interestingly, EU version of the Bosal hitch specifies only 90kg (200lbs) tongue weight, but still allows same 54kg (120lbs) bike rack. So at least in this case you can't make any assumptions to calculate vertical load limit from the tongue weight..

I'd like to clarify further why I don't think 120lbs vertical load limit comes from Bosal. Adding some background..

I'm from Europe, Finland. Most cars have hitches here, In EU all hitch weight limits are part of vehicle type approval; they are already stated in car registration papers even if there is no factory hitch installed! Then you can go install aftermarket hitch and you can tow the amount specified in vehicle approval. So all hitches are the same; hitch manufacturer can not promise bigger tow weight than what's approved for the vehicle! Also lower weight spec is not possible, any hitch must be able to handle the weights specified in car approval papers.

Bosal is one of the most common brands of aftermarket hitches, and also indeed many OEM hitches are Bosal. They use the same kind of removal mechanism for their whole product range. Tesla is the only car brand to my knowledge that separately specifies tongue weight and vertical load limit, for all other car brands it's just the tongue weight that also limits bike racks.

I'm not sure if the Tesla vertical load limit is even legal. Model X has type approval for 2250kg (ˇ5000lbs) trailer weight and 90kg (200lbs) tongue weight. Legally this should mean that you can strap anything to the hook and it should stay there if it's under 90kg in weight. That's how the values are interpreted for any other brand car. Also this is probably the reason why they only specify 90kg tongue weight (200lbs) in Europe and 500lbs in the US...

Here's a picture of both US and Euro version of the OEM hitch. Euro version actually is currently manufactured by Oris, originally it was Bosal. These are my own; I bought the US version from ebay.

koukut.jpg

The part inside car bumper is identical, only difference between US and Euro is this removable part.

Euro part has the towing ball integrated. That's how they are in any brand car here, we don't use the 2" receivers. This might come as a shock to you Americans, but we actually connect our bike racks directly to the towing ball. Yes, to the round ball.

Below is a picture of my bike rack, which is "euro style" so it connects to the ball..

teline.jpg

You can see the round hole there, you just stuff that around the towing ball, then tighten with the lever. There is a gripping mechanism that grabs the ball tightly.

This bike rack is approved for 60kg, so it's already above to 54kg limit set by Tesla. However it's below the 90kg vehicle type approval limit, so it is fully legal.

But... If you think about the joint between this bike rack and the round towing ball, and compare it to the Bosal removal mechanism, which one do you think will break first if I overload this and hit a big bump or something? Bike rack is approved for 60kg and Tesla hitch only for 54kg....

As I said earlier, exact same Bosal mechanism is used in many brand cars here and Tesla is the only one to have such low limit.

@Zuikkis thank you for your very informative post, I appreciate it.

I'm not sure if the Tesla vertical load limit is even legal. Model X has type approval for 2250kg (ˇ5000lbs) trailer weight and 90kg (200lbs) tongue weight. Legally this should mean that you can strap anything to the hook and it should stay there if it's under 90kg in weight.
Your statement appears to conflate maximum allowed tongue weight when hitched up to a trailer with maximum allowed vertical load with a bike rack attached. They are not the same thing. The forces involved are very different because the rack is entirely supported by the hitch and the trailer is primarily supported by its wheels.

I’m a bit puzzled about one thing; if EU regulations allow the X to tow a trailer up to 2250kg but do not allow the tongue weight to exceed 90kg, based on the widespread expert recommendation for tongue weight to be 10-15% of trailer weight that does not seem safe to me. If tongue weight is less than 10% of trailer weight there is a real risk of uncontrollable trailer sway.

Here is what the North American Model X user manual states about tow weights and tongue weights.

IMG_2539.jpeg

The part inside car bumper is identical, only difference between US and Euro is this removable part.

Euro part has the towing ball integrated.
That “only difference” is to me the critical difference: as your photo makes clear, the US Bosal hitch design has a removable hitch receiver piece making the overall hitch two pieces whereas the EU hitch is a single piece with no “receiver”.

The US two piece design has an additional connection point such that the overall hitch flexes more under load. I suspect that is why the vertical load limit is lower.

I would like to emphasize that I am not an expert on the issue, I’m just trying to interpret and understand the information available to me as someone who tows a 2,000 lb trailer and uses a bike rack.