Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, it now says all glass is also uv coated too. So you just need to match the back windows, and windshield if that's your thing.
Yeah I'll likely go with similar to what I have now on my Model 3 windshield which is 55% in 3M Ceramic IR and sides at 15-20% to match.

Many do 70% which is basically invisible but still cuts a bunch of heat but I like the little extra tint and glare reduction.

Another great video comparing tint shades in daylight vs. night time.

Yeah I'll likely go with similar to what I have now on my Model 3 windshield which is 55% in 3M Ceramic IR and sides at 15-20% to match.

Many do 70% which is basically invisible but still cuts a bunch of heat but I like the little extra tint and glare reduction.

Another great video comparing tint shades in daylight vs. night time.

Can you recommend a place in Nj who will do front windshield? Most place I know in my area of parsippany won't touch fronts.

how bad is the rainbow effect with tint on the windshield and polarized glasses?
I've never had any rainbow issues with Llumar Pinnacle Ceramic or 3M Ceramic IR and polarized glasses on my past or current windshield. In my experience this is usually more of an issue on vertical windows like the sides, but even then very limited at just he right angle and sunlight. Non-issue IMO.

Also consider with a tinted windshield you'll find yourself using sunglasses less...I do at least. With a 50% windshield in ceramic film its like a constant sunglass built in.
Can you recommend a place in Nj who will do front windshield? Most place I know in my area of parsippany won't touch fronts.

I haven't reached out to many shops yet specifically about the X tint, but I have a good list of highly recommended shops throughout NJ/PA I would recommend otherwise.

I do know pricing at this one place so far (multiple locations - Central NJ) where the owner (Daylan) reached out and we had a convo recently. He quoted me a "discounted" FB Tesla group rate of $800 for the X windshield in Llumar Formula One Ceramic and the front sides to match the rear factory windows for $200. Have seen a lot of good reviews and seems like a one stop shop for all kinds of detailing services (Tint/PPF/Coatings/etc.).

So that's a start... let me know if you reach out to any promising ones and I'll do the same. 👍

Another to try up your was is Always Clean in Fairlawn. I've met the owner (Felix) a few times at local Tesla meets and know some Tesla buddies who have worked there and used them. Just haven't reached out specifically about the X yet.

Also consider with a tinted windshield you'll find yourself using sunglasses less...I do at least. With a 50% windshield in ceramic film its like a constant sunglass built in.

i had thought about this possibility, but my eyes are so light sensitive i feel like i'll probably need them regardless. i wear super dark polarized oakleys pretty much any time i leave the house, because i can barely keep my eyes open without them without getting a headache.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
I've never had any rainbow issues with Llumar Pinnacle Ceramic or 3M Ceramic IR and polarized glasses on my past or current windshield. In my experience this is usually more of an issue on vertical windows like the sides, but even then very limited at just he right angle and sunlight. Non-issue IMO.

I haven't reached out to many shops yet specifically about the X tint, but I have a good list of highly recommended shops throughout NJ/PA I would recommend otherwise.

I do know pricing at this one place so far (multiple locations - Central NJ) where the owner (Daylan) reached out and we had a convo recently. He quoted me a "discounted" FB Tesla group rate of $800 for the X windshield in Llumar Formula One Ceramic and the front sides to match the rear factory windows for $200. Have seen a lot of good reviews and seems like a one stop shop for all kinds of detailing services (Tint/PPF/Coatings/etc.).

So that's a start... let me know if you reach out to any promising ones and I'll do the same. 👍

Another to try up your was is Always Clean in Fairlawn. I've met the owner (Felix) a few times at local Tesla meets and know some Tesla buddies who have worked there and used them. Just haven't reached out specifically about the X yet.

$800....discounted?! Wow...
Here in Dallas, windshield ceramic IR for Xpel/Llumar/Suntek is around $200-400 max.

Around here, a full SUV (all sides, rear, sunroof and windshield) in ceramic IR go for $800-1k max.

$800....discounted?! Wow...
Here in Dallas, windshield ceramic IR for Xpel/Llumar/Suntek is around $200-400 max.

Around here, a full SUV (all sides, rear, sunroof and windshield) in ceramic IR go for $800-1k max.
Full 1-piece Model X windshield for $200-400? 🤔

Most shops don’t do it at all or want to do it in multiple pieces because they can’t otherwise.

On YouTube they claim it’s basically the toughest piece of factory glass out there to tint and only possible in 1-piece with a 60” roll. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Full 1-piece Model X windshield for $200-400? 🤔

Most shops don’t do it at all or want to do it in multiple pieces because they can’t otherwise.

On YouTube they claim it’s basically the toughest piece of factory glass out there to tint and only possible in 1-piece with a 60” roll. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I have a place that quoted me $400 for the front windshield in Hillside nj, but that's with addition to 2 fronts and ppf. Not sure what actual would be without the ppf.

I have a place that quoted me $400 for the front windshield in Hillside nj, but that's with addition to 2 fronts and ppf. Not sure what actual would be without the ppf.
What's the shop name?

I'm leery of any awesome deals in NJ as I've seen the horror stories of low quality work both tints and wraps. I let the wrap shop (NM Tints) do my current Model 3 windshield in 3M Ceramic IR.... a few tiny flaws in my sight line and in the lower areas and a gap by the overhead camera. 🤦‍♂️

Maybe I'm just too OCD, but my local go-to tint guy is Lee Berbs in Hillsborough, a true master for decades now, and his prices reflect that, but IMO its worth it. I need to reach out to him soon. 🤞

Model X windshield is not a piece I want a shop to just figure out as they go so I'll likely overpay for experience. 😆

What's the shop name?

I'm leery of any awesome deals in NJ as I've seen the horror stories of low quality work both tints and wraps. I let the wrap shop (NM Tints) do my current Model 3 windshield in 3M Ceramic IR.... a few tiny flaws in my sight line and in the lower areas and a gap by the overhead camera. 🤦‍♂️

Maybe I'm just too OCD, but my local go-to tint guy is Lee Berbs in Hillsborough, a true master for decades now, and his prices reflect that, but IMO its worth it. I need to reach out to him soon. 🤞

Model X windshield is not a piece I want a shop to just figure out as they go so I'll likely overpay for experience. 😆
I know Lee and he have done a couple of my cars.
I've already reached out to him, he will not touch the windshield. He told me he done it once and was not happy of his work, so it's not worth it for him.

• Informative
I know Lee and he have done a couple of my cars.
I've already reached out to him, he will not touch the windshield. He told me he done it once and was not happy of his work, so it's not worth it for him.
Think I found a winner.... 🤞

I visited Signature Detailing in Hillsborough today. Greg had done the PPF and Ceramic Coating on my 2018 Model 3... Super nice dude, I have actually gone by at times just to see what he's working on and he also did a bunch of friends and my bosses Tesla last year. Him and Lee actually used to work together, believe Lee taught Greg, but they had a falling out a few years back and now have their own shops in the same town funny enough.

Anyways, I had emailed him about PPF and Ceramic for the X and he's now got a little partnership deal with a reputable local tint shop down the road. My boss did full ceramic tint including windshield with them actually and everything came out great.

The shops name is Antonella's Window Tint, they use Johnson Films - InsulatIR Ceramic Film (spec sheet attached) and do the Model X windshield in one piece, taking down even the wire protector strip above the first row so there is no visible seam/edge to the film. Film seems to be on par with other nano-ceramic films like 3M Ceramic IR and XPEL XR Black/Plus. 😎

Signature D. can book her to come in along side other detail work like PPF and coatings or you can just go to her shop direct. He thought the windshield was in the $500 range and front sides $200, but I'll have to confirm when I book my appointment once I have a VIN.

Funny enough I asked if he had any Ultra Red's come through and he said he had one TODAY so I had to swing by.....it was a Plaid doing full body PPF and just front side window tints. Sure was pretty! 😍

Attachments

• Johnson InsulatIR Film Specs.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9682.jpeg
    IMG_9682.jpeg
    596.5 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_9684.jpeg
    IMG_9684.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_9683.jpeg
    IMG_9683.jpeg
    572.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_9685.jpeg
    IMG_9685.jpeg
    460.8 KB · Views: 82
Think I found a winner.... 🤞

I visited Signature Detailing in Hillsborough today. Greg had done the PPF and Ceramic Coating on my 2018 Model 3... Super nice dude, I have actually gone by at times just to see what he's working on and he also did a bunch of friends and my bosses Tesla last year. Him and Lee actually used to work together, believe Lee taught Greg, but they had a falling out a few years back and now have their own shops in the same town funny enough.

Anyways, I had emailed him about PPF and Ceramic for the X and he's now got a little partnership deal with a reputable local tint shop down the road. My boss did full ceramic tint including windshield with them actually and everything came out great.

The shops name is Antonella's Window Tint, they use Johnson Films - InsulatIR Ceramic Film (spec sheet attached) and do the Model X windshield in one piece, taking down even the wire protector strip above the first row so there is no visible seam/edge to the film. Film seems to be on par with other nano-ceramic films like 3M Ceramic IR and XPEL XR Black/Plus. 😎

Signature D. can book her to come in along side other detail work like PPF and coatings or you can just go to her shop direct. He thought the windshield was in the $500 range and front sides $200, but I'll have to confirm when I book my appointment once I have a VIN.

Funny enough I asked if he had any Ultra Red's come through and he said he had one TODAY so I had to swing by.....it was a Plaid doing full body PPF and just front side window tints. Sure was pretty! 😍
I met Greg when he and Lee was together. Super nice guy. Great work on my M235i back in the days.

So to follow up…. I ended up with two different ceramic films, by two different installers due to a mixup/misunderstanding, but I’m happy with the results.

20% Johnson Films InsulatIR Ceramic film on the front sides. $200

70% XPEL Prime XR Plus Ceramic on the windshield. $650

With the all black interior and the darker front side tint the windshield definitely looks darker than it is. Looking from inside out it’s crystal clear. I did have to turn OFF the Auto-Dimming mirror option because at night looking through the front side tinted glass with the auto-dimming it was way too dark. 😎

Attachments

• IMG_0236.jpeg
    IMG_0236.jpeg
    797.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0235.jpeg
    IMG_0235.jpeg
    752.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0233.jpeg
    IMG_0233.jpeg
    880.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0237.jpeg
    IMG_0237.jpeg
    738.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0238.jpeg
    IMG_0238.jpeg
    577.7 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: SpoonMXP
I have in the past put tints on all my sides and rear since generally it is just dyed glass that has little heat or UV protection. Is that the case with the X? do they actually have heat and UV protection from factory? (don't really care about the way it looks Just want that protection for my kids.)