Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what would you have done if you’d already been on the motorway with a 200 mile journey ahead of you? Pulled off specially just to clean a bit of glass?

But then that’s never worked for me either. The wipers are just crap, and I can confirm they haven’t improved with the latest update.
I had to take my car to Tesla in Cardiff on Monday morning. It was absolutely hammering down - which I suppose justifies the car's tech deciding you either get no wipers or ramming speed wiping, the car chose the latter.

What was more surprising was to discover that in torrential rain, where auto wipers are on max, the car doesn't feel like you need to have headlights on. Not just my Tesla, but the two others I saw. I only realised after a few minutes, and then set it manually. But how hard could it be that if anything more than intermittent wipers are on, lights should be on too?

What was more surprising was to discover that in torrential rain, where auto wipers are on max, the car doesn't feel like you need to have headlights on. Not just my Tesla, but the two others I saw. I only realised after a few minutes, and then set it manually. But how hard could it be that if anything more than intermittent wipers are on, lights should be on too?
Not turning on the headlights in such conditions is one thing that really irritates me in our cars. In some US states the law requires headlights be on whenever windscreen wipers are on, even if bright outside. So this can't be explained away as a flaw due to the cars being designed for the USA.

Reactions: Mik3LR
I had to take my car to Tesla in Cardiff on Monday morning. It was absolutely hammering down - which I suppose justifies the car's tech deciding you either get no wipers or ramming speed wiping, the car chose the latter.

I think in one of the recent updates, they must've changed the sensitivity of the setting. Before (I'd say even up to as little as 2 months ago), I found the lights turned on even when it was still light enough that a human driver wouldn't have done so manually. So even in low could cover it would turn on, let alone raining. Now it seems to not be the case...

This is all anecdotal of course so I'm only guessing. Would need a thorough test to be sure on what is really going on.

Hopefully I get me 2023.12 update soon.

I'm glad you have pointed this out. I assumed that the lights would be on if the wipers were (every car i've had with auto lights since early 2000's has worked this way).

Reactions: Mik3LR
Maybe it's so blind people can drive?

In all seriousness, it's the classic case of an audible warning is great, but when everything bings and bongs, you stop listening.
i mean I really do not understand why I need that bloody bing bong when I enable AP.

ok, you can remove it for TACC... but why not for AP? because removal of bong and auto-re-anabling somehow will persuade me to spend 3k on EAP really??

Rather than being of use to the driver, it's probably more about reducing liability in a lawsuit happy nation?

"Oh, I didn't know I was in reverse". "Oh, I didn't know cruise control was on". Those arguments are harder to make if the company says "ah but we display both a visual warning and make an audible bong"

Reactions: Ozboz7
But it isn't mute, it is pause. Rolling the volume down doesn't do the same thing...
Yeah, I just realised that after another short trip.

I tend to listen to DAB radio, where it has the same outcome as it obviously can’t be paused.

Regardless, I suspect a lot of people will end up using the hold button functions more often than they use the pause function (which of course would also still be available via the media card too).

Rather than being of use to the driver, it's probably more about reducing liability in a lawsuit happy nation?

"Oh, I didn't know I was in reverse". "Oh, I didn't know cruise control was on". Those arguments are harder to make if the company says "ah but we display both a visual warning and make an audible bong"
it is not an excuse.

other cars do not have bings bongs (before this version tesla did not have either) for gears or anything. there is visual indicators, for tesla as well.

Regardless, I suspect a lot of people will end up using the hold button functions more often than they use the pause function (which of course would also still be available via the media card too).
I'll have to see once I get it, but I doubt I will use it much.
  • Pause: 2-4 times per trip
  • Temperature: Once per 10 trips?
  • Fan Speed: 0 times per trip
  • Display Brightness: 0 times per trip
  • Save Dashcam: I use the horn for this rare occasion.
  • Acceleration Mode: 0 times per trip
  • Steering Wheel Heat: Seasonal, but even then rarely. (Maybe once per season once I get the new adjustable heat settings.)
  • Camera: 0 times per trip
  • Defrost: 0 times per trip
  • Dome Lights: 0 times per trip
Do people really adjust those things often? So yeah, I don't foresee much use. I may just set it to Steering Wheel Heat and be done.

I might use the scroll wheel to deal with phone calls occasionally, but in a year I haven't even linked my phone via BT yet.

I'll have to see once I get it, but I doubt I will use it much.
  • Pause: 2-4 times per trip
  • Temperature: Once per 10 trips?
  • Fan Speed: 0 times per trip
  • Display Brightness: 0 times per trip
  • Save Dashcam: I use the horn for this rare occasion.
  • Acceleration Mode: 0 times per trip
  • Steering Wheel Heat: Seasonal, but even then rarely. (Maybe once per season once I get the new adjustable heat settings.)
  • Camera: 0 times per trip
  • Defrost: 0 times per trip
  • Dome Lights: 0 times per trip
Do people really adjust those things often? So yeah, I don't foresee much use. I may just set it to Steering Wheel Heat and be done.

I might use the scroll wheel to deal with phone calls occasionally, but in a year I haven't even linked my phone via BT yet.
I guess it all comes down to how different individuals use their car, which I suppose is why I think it would be good if there was the option to swap the single press and hold functionality.

Personally, I can’t recall ever using the pause button due to mostly radio listening, whereas I do use the camera view quite often in busy city driving, do switch between chill and standard fairly often, and do adjust the set temperature fairly often too.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I guess it all comes down to how different individuals use their car, which I suppose is why I think it would be good if there was the option to swap the single press and hold functionality.

Personally, I can’t recall ever using the pause button due to mostly radio listening, whereas I do use the camera view quite often in busy city driving, do switch between chill and standard fairly often, and do adjust the set temperature fairly often too.
I've set it for change temperature. I found changing the temp whilst driving a bit fiddly and resorted to asking my passenger to do it. Maybe with increased font size it will be easier but too frequently I found myself tapping away and nothing happening because my sausage fingers (especially as I am not left handed) are not accurate enough 🤣

Reactions: BillN
I've set it for change temperature. I found changing the temp whilst driving a bit fiddly and resorted to asking my passenger to do it. Maybe with increased font size it will be easier but too frequently I found myself tapping away and nothing happening because my sausage fingers (especially as I am not left handed) are not accurate enough 🤣
I think I’m going to set it to either temp or camera, but I like that you then still have access to the other options too.

Just jab at the bit that shows the current temp and slide left or right - far easier than trying to hit the +/- either side of it.

Reactions: Chimpy McChimp
I tweeted the suggestion to this chap who has ‘liked’ my tweet - so maybe we’ll see the option to swap the press/hold functionality at some point..
46431994-5992-4F27-96C5-1CFE502F3287.jpeg

Just jab at the bit that shows the current temp and slide left or right - far easier than trying to hit the +/- either side of it.
Yeah I tried that but I found my eyes off the road for longer than I would like. Or on occasions sliding further than I would like.

Hoping the scroll wheel allows for better control (haven't actually tried it yet). At the moment I can't see a need for any of the other scroll wheel features so temp seems like a good fit for me.

removal of bong and auto-re-anabling somehow will persuade me to spend 3k on EAP really??

I don't think it is that ... (but I expect Marketing do require a differentiation of some sort)

i mean I really do not understand why I need that bloody bing bong when I enable AP.

I think it is so that you know whether AP or YOU are in control. I've had situations where I thought that AP was on, when it wasn't (even when it bonged to tell me - I just didn't register that fact)

EAP bongs too - IF/WHEN it disengages (and when re-engaged). If you happen to let EAP do the overtaking-stuff then it won't bong ... but it will if you have to exert some ascertive infuence :)

other cars do not have bings bongs

My thinking is that those hand control to you for the lane change and then automatically take control back when it is completed? As such it is obvious? which is in control

I've never driven a car that had that, and I've read loads of threads where people said they really like it, but I am sceptical about whether I would know whether I or CAR is in control at any particular time (might just be me though ... I'm dyslexic and have slow-processing for absorption of information)