Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the info. Now I know not to get my hopes up for the HFPA on my Ryzen USS MYLR. Seems like a lump of coal for this Xmas update looking at the rest of the features.
Agreed. Last year Apple Music was the highlight for me. This year, I could care less about Podcasts because I dont use them. HFPA is currently only for Vision cars, there was someone said it would come to USS but I'll believe it when I see it. There is really nothing else in this update but small gimmicks that dont amount to much benefit. Yep - a lump of coal really.

Reactions: Pseudofinn
Yes - I'm looking forward to using custom sounds such as shutdown sounds from old versions of Windows or AOL's "goodbye" or the classic "chirp chirp" sound of typical car alarms you hear in movies from the 80s and 90s.
I’m into mindless stuff like this, so I’m probably looking forward to this one the most. I already got 5 WAV files ready for this, including my dog barking and the whoosh sound from K.I.T.T. In Knight Rider. 😆

• Love
Reactions: Mengy and zroger73
The internet, via this forum, Reddit, and Twitter shows itself to be hilarious as usual.

Owners of USS equipped vehicles currently have the same park assist they’ve always had, the same park assist that they’ve spent the last year holding up as the zenith of parking systems that vision can never match while also bitching about how Tesla will ‘obviously’ disable the USS and cripple their cars ‘just like they did with radar’.

Now there’s one sniff that the new system might actually be good and the tone has immediately flipped to what assholes Tesla are for not immediately moving everyone over to the new system in one go.

This is the most boring and anticlimactic holiday update so far. What a bummer. The lock sound is cool, but really, that’s it? Especially for those of us with USS– we don’t even get some purdy new visuals to look at.

I thought that at the very least they’d add FSD visuals to every car, even those with basic autopilot. It’s such a low hanging fruit that people would enjoy. Especially since Tesla is all about that “we don’t want to maintain multiple software tracks” mindset.

Reactions: Kimmi
I’m into mindless stuff like this, so I’m probably looking forward to this one the most. I already got 5 WAV files ready for this, including my dog barking and the whoosh sound from K.I.T.T. In Knight Rider. 😆

I would normally say I am not into the mindless stuff but I do have Santa Mode on now. So obviously even this old fuddy duddy can be won over.

I just did a google search on my 2020 holiday update and there are a lot of things I take for granted, whether I use them or not (that was the boombox year.) I jumped at 2021's which was a mistake.

If you look at the 2020 screen you'll see things like the defrost button just hanging out there on the home screen. It was buried in 2021. There are some safety features of the car, including being able to see out of it or to get sudden freezing rain to start melting the moment it hits your screen. Those features should always be on the top level if we can't have physical buttons.

It took months to get a workaround to the option of having a subset of those features back on the main screen. They aren't all there at any time but most are back.

But I learned my lesson and went from mid Nov 2022 until April 2023 before choosing to update. I wanted to make sure as many bugs as possible were fixed and as many mistakes were corrected before updating. There is also the issue that Christmas is a friggin busy time of year and spending a lot of time Christmas week relearning my car and retraining muscle memory is not the top of my priority.

If the mindless came without taking away important stuff or breaking things that worked, I wouldn't care. But there's always a 'cost' to every update. I can't think of one yet that didn't bring at least a minor annoyance.

For 2020, I knew there would be no Christmas activities, gatherings, time with family (my son refused to let us hug him when we did a car-to-car gift swap because he unit was in outbreak at the hospital.) The car was the only happy thing in our lives at that point. And we took it to the SC and hopped on their wifi so we could update it and then sat in the car for a few hours exploring. For 2021, we happily showed off the light show to the family in parking lots (indoor Christmas activities were still not an option here.) So I'll forever be grateful for the car helping us through that time. But I hate most everything about it now as my car has been degraded from what features that came with the car and what we bought FSD is still not delivered. We had hoped this would be the last vehicle we every purchased and were purchasing the ability to keep our independence for as long as the car was still operational. Instead of me sitting back and the car taking care of me, I'm back to being asked to teach a teen to drive again. No thank you, I didn't sign up for this.

It will be a decent update just because it has the blind spot warning. Too bad they don't give us the 3D park assist if you have USS. Maybe later they will enable it.
I kind of doubt the USS cars will ever get the vision-only park assist. Tesla doesn't have any incentive to put resources into developing software marrying the USS and vision-only system. I could be wrong, but I don't think the USS cars can simply use the vision-only software for the park assist stuff because there would be competing signals that would need some sort of logic to sort out.

Reactions: aerodyne
I kind of doubt the USS cars will ever get the vision-only park assist. Tesla doesn't have any incentive to put resources into developing software marrying the USS and vision-only system. I could be wrong, but I don't think the USS cars can simply use the vision-only software for the park assist stuff because there would be competing signals that would need some sort of logic to sort out.

That may be true. I would rather have USS personally so not a big deal to me. The blind spot warning is a bigger feature for me anyway.

Apple Podcasts - lots of attention to High Fidelity Park Assist in this update but I think the podcasts app is also a big deal for people who have struggled with Spotify and TuneIn and their inconsistent compatibility with various podcasts plus their awful user experience.

If you have an iPhone and listen to podcasts the new app makes it seamless to have the same experience on the Tesla without resorting to your iPhone and Bluetooth.

Scan the on screen QR code and you’re connected. App UI is much simpler than other apps such as Spotify and it seems to work very smoothly - all my existing podcasts appear and the play position of each is synchronized correctly.

UI is three main categories - Shows, Saved and Latest Episodes and system autoplays next episodes automatically.

Audio quality seems good. Overall a very nice addition and one more reason to not miss CarPlay … as much.

IMG_3059.jpeg

I expect that USS cars will get the new park assist as well. Tesla likely just prioritized it to non-USS. I'm interested in seeing it as an example of progress (or lack) in the occupancy network. There's been much talk of it, but little visible to the end user. Even though it's not normal driving, it should bring us a small step closer to the raw data versus generic object representations and processed distance lines.

Might give us some insight into the potential for detecting things like potholes or other obstructions.

I'm looking forward to seeing some youtube video demonstrations of object detections as well as doing my own tests.

As far as it's use for actual parking goes, I'll stick with the tried and true backup camera for now.

Reactions: buddhafree