Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received holiday update 2023.44.30.1 on Saturday. Initially I was hesitant about updating, but in about 30 miles of AP travel on the freeway I haven't noticed any difference in nags, still need to try it on some 2 lane roads. The 3d visuals for parking are ok, much better than the prior squiggly lines. I don't get the usual insane amount of beeps and dings from grass when backing into my driveway anymore. I'm also currently enjoying the old-school car alarm chirp on walk-away lock.

Last edited:
The randomness of the software updates is driving me a bit crazy. Have had my 23MYP for just under 3 months and this is what has happened (using notateslaapp 1st avail dates):

• 9/29/23 1800 2023.32.100 11.4.4 Initial Vehicle Purchase - s/w mode std - (this version was 1st avail 9/24/23)
  • 11/29/23 1928 2023.38.9 11.4.4 Moved from Std to advanced to get update - (this version was1st avail 11/21/23)
  • 12/15/23 1017 2023.44.1 11.4.4 Rebooted, checked updates to get it to update - (this version was1st avail 11/23/23)
So what's strange to me is why I pulled 38.9 on 11/29 instead of 44.1 - regardless, some other tidbits showed on twitter this morning saying "this weekend"

As for those with USS, he also comments that it "should eventually" arrive

From my perspective as a new owner, the parking assist as it stands on my 23MYP is horrible given no USS. Every car I've ever owned in the past 15 years (with USS) has been better than the garbage it presently is and it's so bad, my wife won't even pull it in/out of the garage with about 6 inches of clearance on each side from the outside of each mirror.

So getting all of these newer vehicles at least up to a reasonable ability to sense obstacles (as it appears the .44.30+ update will do) is the right priority in my opinion (and not just because I have a 23MYP). A lot of people focus on the lack of Autopark/Summon/Smart Summon in non-USS vehicles but realize too that even Parking Assist is fully disclaimed in the current manual for Model Y's after late May 2023.

Apple Podcasts - lots of attention to High Fidelity Park Assist in this update but I think the podcasts app is also a big deal for people who have struggled with Spotify and TuneIn and their inconsistent compatibility with various podcasts plus their awful user experience.

If you have an iPhone and listen to podcasts the new app makes it seamless to have the same experience on the Tesla without resorting to your iPhone and Bluetooth.

Scan the on screen QR code and you’re connected. App UI is much simpler than other apps such as Spotify and it seems to work very smoothly - all my existing podcasts appear and the play position of each is synchronized correctly.

UI is three main categories - Shows, Saved and Latest Episodes and system autoplays next episodes automatically.

Audio quality seems good. Overall a very nice addition and one more reason to not miss CarPlay … as much.

View attachment 1000575
Fully agree. Now if they'd just include an Audible.com app, I could do away with Bluetooth audio in the car entirely.

This is the best video I’ve seen showing the park assist so far. Sadly it’s in German but the footage of the system working is good. And you get to learn the German for ‘mind blowing’ (it’s ‘mindblowing’)

It certainly looks like an improvement over the current "squiggly lines" - though I'll have to try it out to see if I trust it. The current squiggly lines are simply not accurate so pretty useless - it thinks the curb to my driveway is dangerous and warns me to STOP. Fortunately I've never much relied on parking assist anyway in any car I've owned. YMMV

I'm really annoyed by the latest update. (2023.44.30.2). I purchased a car that has "autopilot" – not a car that has autopilot when Tesla feels I am worthy of autopilot. Tesla now bans you from using autopilot for a week if it force disconnects you five times. Now my experience is that Tesla force disconnects you even when your driving is fine. This feels like a breach of contract by Tesla. I paid for autopilot and Tesla should not now be applying conditions that were not part of my agreement when I purchased the car.

I'm really annoyed by the latest update. (2023.44.30.2). I purchased a car that has "autopilot" – not a car that has autopilot when Tesla feels I am worthy of autopilot. Tesla now bans you from using autopilot for a week if it force disconnects you five times. Now my experience is that Tesla force disconnects you even when your driving is fine. This feels like a breach of contract by Tesla. I paid for autopilot and Tesla should not now be applying conditions that were not part of my agreement when I purchased the car.
The changes were mandated by the NHTSA, weren’t they?

Annoyed? You can blame NHTSA and fellow Darwin Award holders.

Last edited:
The NHTSA didn't require this. Tesla came up with it.
Actually, they pretty much did. If Tesla didn't voluntarily make the changes that NHTSA suggested, NHTSA would have forced a recall, requiring Tesla to make the changes.

1702933130170.png

This was likely the minimum changes that NHTSA would agree to in order for them to close their investigation without forcing a recall.

Last edited:
The NHTSA didn't require this. Tesla came up with it.

If Tesla didn’t do something voluntarily do you think the NHTSA would have just said ‘oh,OK, we were wrong, it’s fine as it is’?

And if you left it to NHTSA to define the remedy, do you think you’d have got a less invasive outcome?

Also, I’ve used AP quite a lot and I have never, ever got to the point of a forced disconnect. If you’re doing it often enough to be worried about this then you are driving negligently.

Got 2023.44.30.2 in my '21 Plaid. Trying to get anything to connect to bluetooth for rear screen (two different Apple Airpods & Xbox Series Controller) but nothing will. Nothing shows at all in search screen. Did a reset on the car, but no bluetooth love.

Same here! I tried the following audio devices - 2 JBL, one cheapy from Amazon, and one Samsung. It does not see any of them. I'm very disappointed.

I have a late 2021 refresh.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Now my experience is that Tesla force disconnects you even when your driving is fine.
I've driven ~200,000 miles in autopilot-equipped Teslas and I'm pretty sure I haven't had five forced disengagements TOTAL. Over seven years.

If you're getting to five with any sort of regularity, you're absolutely not using Autopilot correctly.

I've driven ~200,000 miles in autopilot-equipped Teslas and I'm pretty sure I haven't had five forced disengagements TOTAL. Over seven years.

If you're getting to five with any sort of regularity, you're absolutely not using Autopilot correctly.
I do not have the interior camera but u do find that it is telling me to take hold of the vehicle even when not on autopilot more often then it should

I do not have the interior camera but u do find that it is telling me to take hold of the vehicle even when not on autopilot more often then it should
Those aren’t forced disengagements though, which happen when you repeatedly and deliberately ignore the escalating audible and visual warnings to apply force to the wheel, or when you accelerate beyond the autosteer speed limit (used to be 90 mph, now I think it’s 85 in vision cars?).