Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not strictly related to the Christmas update, but if anyone has lost Disney+ and wishes to get it back, apparently going into the web browser and logging into Disney+ through there causes the Disney+ “app” to reappear. I’m guessing the app is actually present for everyone, but only appears on the display if they detect login cookies.

I've found this screenshot from an article 2 month ago which gives a bit of behind the scenes on the AI cabin camera monitoring
cabin-camera.jpg

I must be getting old.. but I still still use my wing mirrors when parking. I judge distance to front bumper and front corners with my eye balls. I only use the backup camera for judging distance to the back bumper. I’ve even turned off all the bingbong sounds. Never crashed into anything.

Why is everyone so fussed about HFPA and sensors? How are people learning to drive and park these days? If doing a parallel park, do people first start the manoeuvre by looking at the screen? Do people look at the screen half way through or at the end?(Serious question because I genuinely don’t know.)

I get the “assist” part of it (camera’s assist with judging distance, sensors warn, etc) but it sounds like people are relying solely on this feature to park?
A car touted to be a technological marvel should have sensors to make driving easier. Of course you should be able to drive without them but that's not the point.

Reactions: Durzel
I don’t think that is necessarily true...I believe that it’s always been the goal of FSD to do it like a human driver...using eyes only. Whether that will work in reality is a different question
Because you have two eyes you can get some depth perception. That's why it might be true at some point for the front facing cameras.
But there's only one on the rear. That's why it will always give a flat image and will always be prone to error and misgauge distances, hence why I do not believe in HFPA

If Tesla really wants to prove to the world that Vision is better, I have a marketing idea for them: they can cover under warranty all body repairs caused by HFPA errors / Autopark.
That will be fun to watch.

Reactions: Transformer
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but in one of these recent updates there is now more options for the wheel and tyre configuration. I'm on 2022 MYLR 44.30.5.1 and can select to show the visualisation of the Gemini wheels without the trims - nice touch. Not sure if selecting this would mean it recalculates the range given that there is now more aero drag, anyone have an idea on this?

Because you have two eyes you can get some depth perception. That's why it might be true at some point for the front facing cameras.
But there's only one on the rear. That's why it will always give a flat image and will always be prone to error and misgauge distances, hence why I do not believe in HFPA

If Tesla really wants to prove to the world that Vision is better, I have a marketing idea for them: they can cover under warranty all body repairs caused by HFPA errors / Autopark.
That will be fun to watch.
Columbo drove a car...and he only had one eye

That’s the problem with the Christmas update...it’s got a deadline

They use a standard programmer's calendar - hence it is the Holiday Update, not the Christmas update. :)

I think there were a few random hold steering wheel nags even thought I was.

I wonder if your steering-wheel-holding was "too consistent"? I mean, like you had jammed an Orange/similar in the wheel spokes.

Have Tesla actually improved anything they’ve released? Everything is half arsed and is barely touched after
When they first introduced blind spot cameras....it was in an awkward position...later you could move it around the screen...they then increased the clarity and color of the image...and now there is a red mist that descends over it if there is another vehicle in your blind spot