Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y Custom Order Wait Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m so wishy-washy.

Originally, I ordered a MYLR black, then changed to MYLR black, induction wheels, tow and 7 seater (ie, full options). I wanted black and the tow hook so I could put a bike rack. I have an e-bike my father uses sometimes, so the rack would be for if he needs me to pick him up or drop off for whatever reason. So I chose the 7 seater to get both options and the EV credit. I justified it as having something in a pinch. The wheels were me going overboard. Plus I don’t really like the aero cover or the color of the wheel underneath.

Now, after the loan was accepted and in process of verifying the trade-in (taking pictures of odometer), I changed my order again. This time… no options. I found out that you could do colored PPF…! So that meant I could get any color via the PPF, which I’d want to keep the car looking decent. I took off the tow hook and of course the 3rd row for the same reasons… I’d just have to force myself to do something else in that “pinch.” Though maybe add that tow hook later if I deem it necessary again. The wheels, well… I think I could use an aftermarket cover that looks better… or worse, replace the wheels altogether (which I might’ve done even with the 20” induction).

I do have to restart the loan and I’d guess the trade-in too… but since my EDD is in April-May (given after I finished my part of loan and trade-in process), I would’ve had to do it anyway as they would’ve expired by then.

Dunno if/how the EDD is affected by my latest change.

That said, that removes me from the custom order category, maybe?
Still a custom order. Only $300 more to add tow hitch latter and you’ll (hopefully) get tax credit.

Welp, what a bummer. Teslas official trade-in offer came back 8k less than the estimate they provided 2 weeks ago (which financially allowed me to order). Now I can’t justify the cost. Called Sales rep and all they could say was that the estimates are inaccurate and I should’ve spoken to someone in person because they would’ve told me so. I don’t believe that bc my trade in estimate a couple years ago was spot on to the official offer and I proceeded with trade in. I am unable to take delivery unless I can sell independently. What are some good options based on experience? I’m already listed on cargurus with no bites, don’t want to do FB, and all the other instant offer sites were about 1-2k less than teslas final low offer. Upset that I may need to cancel order. Thanks for help.
Shift and driveway gave us highest offers. Shift did backout on their offer though to our discuss. Now doing private sale at $4k more than Tesla offer. You can do it!

If $8k makes or breaks the deal, I would seriously reconsider if purchasing is a good financial decision. Or maybe get a SR model 3 instead if you really want a Tesla. I would be disappointed in your shoes but seems better to break it off at a loss of $250 instead of a depreciating car that you can't afford.

Carmax offered me $3-4k higher than any other places as of last week. In line with private party value on KBB.
Thanks All for advice. Lo and behold I called around to ICE dealerships and a couple actually gave me an offer between KBB trade in and private sale price. Which actually falls in line with teslas initial HIGHEND offer. So I might go this route. YMMV but wanted to post my finsings in case anybody else hadn’t thought of calling ICE dealerships. Be advised some straight up told me no they wouldn’t give a quote and hung up.

Shift and driveway gave us highest offers. Shift did backout on their offer though to our discuss. Now doing private sale at $4k more than Tesla offer. You can do it!
Is your private sale through driveway, to driveway, or some other way? If to Jon Doe how’d you line that up? I haven’t got a hit on cargurus but a dealer gave me a nice quote.

Carmax is a ripoff. Any offers you're getting instantly are lowball. Get a loan to bridge you over and then take your time selling on Cargurus. Use KBB value for private sale and knock a little off so between trade in value and private sale value. All offers close to trade in are dealer low ball offers
I sold my car to carmax for $27,300 and they sold it for about $30,000, I think their offer was very reasonable considering the no hassle sale process. Also, it was a lease, so I was able to save on sales tax for the remaining balance on the car which saved 2k on that end so YMMV but for me it really worked out. Btw, my remaining balance on the lease was $21,500 and that with the car being stolen and recovered so personally I was very happy

It is so interesting to see the different experiences of those who placed orders within days of each other. My order was placed on 1/17 and immediately generated an EDD of March 4-March 31 that has not been updated a single time since then with no VIN yet assigned.
Same I ordered the 17th and it’s been sitting March 2nd-30th for the estimate and no vin. Central Ohio order.

Ordered MYLR5 blue/black/19/no tow on 1/26. EDD1 Feb-Mar, EDD2 Mar 20-Mar 31. Sounds like we're back to demand outstripping production again, unless you order something unusual (loaded) they happen to have in inventory. And the $7500 tax credit seems less likely now for anyone who ordered much after 1/13 or hasn't already ordered.

Ordered MYLR5 blue/black/19/no tow on 1/26. EDD1 Feb-Mar, EDD2 Mar 20-Mar 31. Sounds like we're back to demand outstripping production again, unless you order something unusual (loaded) they happen to have in inventory. And the $7500 tax credit seems less likely now for anyone who ordered much after 1/13 or hasn't already ordered.
I have the exact same configuration as you. Ordered 1/17/23.

I'm in the lakes region of NH, sales person told me they would deliver for free as we're within 200 miles of a service center, but I have my doubts.

MYLR White Ext. \ Black Int. 20"
Order: 1/15
EDD: 2/9 - 3/16

In 2019 I picked up my M3 from NY, but it doesn't seem like that is an option anymore. Though I'm excited for the MY, it's not the same as the first time so I don't think I'd make the drive again.
Received my VIN today along with the ability to schedule pickup in NJ, clicking on the link shows only 2 available days which are Feb 13th or 14th, though my EDD updated to 2/15 - 2/24. As expected, they are now saying it's $750 to have it delivered, even though my sales person told me there would be no charge.

VIN looks to be a Fremont build, have to decide now if I want to have delivery and risk receiving a car with issues or make a 5 hour drive to NJ from NH.

Reactions: vinmyl5bw
Received my VIN today along with the ability to schedule pickup in NJ, clicking on the link shows only 2 available days which are Feb 13th or 14th, though my EDD updated to 2/15 - 2/24. As expected, they are now saying it's $750 to have it delivered, even though my sales person told me there would be no charge.

VIN looks to be a Fremont build, have to decide now if I want to have delivery and risk receiving a car with issues or make a 5 hour drive to NJ from NH.
I ordered on 1/16 white/black with 19s hopefully my vin comes soon!

G

Is the NJ pickup location give by Tesla, MA locations would be closer right?