Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y Long Range Disappointment in boominess after Demo Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The OP mention no Car Play. We have Apple Car Play now .....no?
Tesla doesn’t have apple CarPlay, see my previous post about how to get it.

Tesla has Apple Music app, but currently a poor implementation in my opinion. Hopefully it gets better & on par with Android OS Apple Music app (that’s what I use sometimes when I want to hear lossless audio via Apple Music in my Tesla)

This glowing review is better than my paper that I submitted in post grad school. I did that so I could get an A. What was your intention in writing such a detailed review only to give it a thumbs down?
Probably the same as many of us that read the thread . . . . .b & this from a long term stock owner (roth & 401k). After having both an X & S - and still LOVING the tesla efficiency & considering the Y - but not until our present non-tesla cars' mileage gets too high. What does touting one's school papers have to do with the question though . . . . .

• Funny
Reactions: enemji
You can get apple CarPlay via googling the open source “tesla android project”. There are a few commercial solutions too which use same technique. I prefer open source. Tesla android can do more though such as execute android os Apple Music app playing lossless apple codec media streamed to tesla via Wi-Fi 48Khz PCM lossless/uncompressed audio…no Bluetooth in the mix

A blog about CarPlay via tesla android project is here. Doesn’t cover the android OS topics such as setting up google play store & downloading android os Apple Music. Maybe in near future tutorial will appear.
I already have Apple CarPlay since a recent SW updated🤔or am I mistaken?

I was thinking of a way to describe the sound (other than boomines) and the word buffeting came to mind. That led me this video. In continuing the theme of the trunk/hatch being the possible cause, I suggest everyone watch this....

Actually make sure the frunk stops are perfect. They can cause flaps and buffeting

In response to OP ... you should try the other comparable EVs out there to see if you don't experience the resonance problem. i.e. Ioniq 5, EV6, and Mach E. As for almost all EVs you will get that sudden jolt because of the torque of the motors. That's how electric motors behave.

Wrt Carplay/Android Auto, I don't see Tesla changing this stance, ever. It's one of the reasons to get people to pony up $100 a year for premium connectivity. Doing so would effectively jeopardize this income stream.

Last edited:
Is your Ioniq AWD or RWD? I did a test drive in the RWD and was unimpressed with the performance after coming out of the Y.

All around ride and drive quality was great, though. It's definitely a quieter car than the Y. I'm really not that concerned with a having a really "quiet" car, though. It's just that specific low frequency noise really bothers me for some reason.

Some were asking why I bothered to write this post giving the Y a glowing review only to give it a thumbs down. I mostly just needed to vent my frustrations and disappointment after the demo drive. *sigh*
Just adding to my previous reply the RWD would be a waste of time as it isn't an apple to apple comparison with the MY. You will need the AWD version for a fair assessment.

Also drive the EV6 and Mach E if you have a chance as both are also very comparable to the Y.

I often attribute the boominess described to road noise. I've driven hatchbacks before and I recall the noise from the back is accentuated once the tires are starting to get down to minimal tread remaining.

In response to OP ... you should try the other comparable EVs out there to see if you don't experience the resonance problem. i.e. Ioniq 5, EV6, and Mach E. As for almost all EVs you will get that sudden jolt because of the torque of the motors. That's how electric motors behave.
Since making this post, I've driven an EV6, two Ioniq 5s, and a Mach E GT. None of them made any unusual or unexpected sounds. The Mustang was the noisiest of the bunch, but just had the expected road and highway wind noise. The Ioniq 5 was particularly quiet, though.

My wife and I strongly noticed the boominess, and made several adjustments after purchase to combat it. (Vinyl tubing, adjusting hatch stops, third-party cargo shelf and thicker cargo mat, lowering tire pressure from 45psi to 42psi). Every modification helped slightly, though none of them was a silver bullet. After 12k miles and almost a year, the tires and suspension have broken in somewhat too, and the booming rarely bothers us anymore, though I still notice it occasionally. When it's time to replace the tires I will probably go with Quatrac Pro tires to try to mellow out the noise even more. But we continue to hope that Tesla eventually solves this problem once and for all on their end!

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
My wife and I strongly noticed the boominess, and made several adjustments after purchase to combat it. (Vinyl tubing, adjusting hatch stops, third-party cargo shelf and thicker cargo mat, lowering tire pressure from 45psi to 42psi). Every modification helped slightly, though none of them was a silver bullet. After 12k miles and almost a year, the tires and suspension have broken in somewhat too, and the booming rarely bothers us anymore, though I still notice it occasionally. When it's time to replace the tires I will probably go with Quatrac Pro tires to try to mellow out the noise even more. But we continue to hope that Tesla eventually solves this problem once and for all on their end!
What about the Michelin A/S tires? I heard those are great. I am going to replace mine OEM with those once it is time..

Were the other cars ICE, by chance?
Are you referring to my post regarding my hearing aid?

If so, then both. Some were ICE cars, some were plugable hybrid with a substantial electric only range. In each one, the issue was with air flow. Our model Y is the only car I have had, withing the last decade, that I could tolerate driving with the windows open or even just cracked open.

Ive owned 6 Teslas, 3 being Model Ys. I had a 21 MYP, wife has a 21 MYLR, and I now have a 23 MYP.

The 23 MYP is like night and day ride quality wise to the 21s I had, and my wife has. I have zero "booms", "thuds", etc you're experiencing, so I wonder if the demo you drove in had an issue that only some do?

In any case, good luck on your EV search! Too bad Tesla isnt for you.

Only had my Fremont built Y Performance for about 750 miles but have taken some 100 mile trips with it. No weird noises or boominess.
My Y has the Michelin all seasons on it.
Just wondering if this boominess thing could be Tire, Fremont vs Austin or 4680 , LR or P specific or a certain combo of them.?

Only had my Fremont built Y Performance for about 750 miles but have taken some 100 mile trips with it. No weird noises or boominess.
My Y has the Michelin all seasons on it.
Just wondering if this boominess thing could be Tire, Fremont vs Austin or 4680 , LR or P specific or a certain combo of them.?
Mine is also Fremont built 2023 MYLR, I hear boominess while driving. Opened service request, Tesla technician said this is normal.