Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y Long Range Disappointment in boominess after Demo Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hate to say this but the solution to the booming noise is not sound dampening or pvc pipe in the weatherstrip. The Y needs an electric lock that tightens itself to max closure and pressure on the weatherstrip at all times.

"The Y needs an electric lock that tightens itself to max closure and pressure on the weatherstrip at all times."

Isn't that what it has already? The trunk closes by itself.
That is different than an electric motorized lock that keeps turning until the hatch is tight AF

Here is an example. See how the lock keeps turning inwards?

That is different than an electric motorized lock that keeps turning until the hatch is tight AF

Here is an example. See how the lock keeps turning inwards?

Yes. I was under the impression that the model y is a similar set up since it slow closes. I haven't really looked at it closely yet though.

Last edited:
Reactions: enemji
I'm a long-term hybrid driver and I've been itching to make the leap to an all-electric. Based on many glowing reviews from friends who own Teslas, as well as a brief drive of a family member's Model Y, I was ready to pull the trigger and buy a Model Y Long Range after the price drop earlier this year. I ended up holding off, though, to give my wife a chance to try it out with a demo drive before buying, and I ended up being glad we waited and did the demo.

After my two LR demo drives, I was surprised by several things, both good and bad, but ultimately decided now is the not the time to buy a Y. Here's my thoughts:

tl;dr I liked almost everything, but the low-frequency rumbling resonance sounds drove me crazy. Until this is fixed, there's zero chance I'm buying a Y.

Performance
Even after previously driving a Y, I was still surprised at just how much torque is available IMMEDIATELY at any speed. My foot is still calibrated to an underpowered hybrid, so this is something I haven't had in a daily driver in a long time. That feeling of instantly pinning yourself to the back of your seat is just flat out fun. and the Y is just a joy to drive in this regard. The quick responsiveness is something you can't get even in most high-end performance ICE vehicles, much less a "family car" like the Y.

Interior Finish
I was unsure how I'd feel about the interior finishes, especially after reading a few reviews from more traditional auto review sources. It's definitely minimalistic, but it's not without any styling though. There's enough detail to make it feel like some attention was paid to aesthetics, so you're not just riding in bland a box, but it's not trying to feel like driving in a high-end luxury car. For me, that's a good thing. Door panels felt solidly attached and didn't flex, there weren't any creaks or big gaps, and the quality of the surfaces felt like I expected: comparable to a middle-tier vehicle. It's not "cheap" feeling like I've seen may describe, but it's definitely not high-end either. Overall, I ended up really liking the Y's interior.

UX
This was my biggest concern going into the demo drive. I like mechanical buttons and generally don't like interacting with a touch screen in cars. To my pleasant surprise, however, it turned out my fears were completely unfounded. The things I absolutely want mechanical buttons for are still easily accessible on the steering wheel: audio volume, skipping songs / tuning the radio, and cruise control. Navigating the menus to get to the steering wheel and mirror adjustments was a little bit tricky, but no more so than with any other car I'm unfamiliar with. Temperature control, even being on the touch screen, is far easier to find and use than on most traditional cars -- I think part of the ease is due to the enormous size of the touch screen. Almost everything else, even if it's buried in a menu on the screen, is also available via voice control, making it extremely easy to operate without taking your eyes off the road. The "ding" sound when a traffic light turns green -- this feature alone almost had me ready to throw money at Tesla. The Y's UX, despite being different from what I'm used to, was a breeze to use and honestly quite refreshing.

Infotainment
All I'll say, is Tesla absolutely blows away every other manufacturer's infotainment. The screen is huge and responsive, there are tons of apps, the maps and nav are great. The only thing missing is Android Auto and CarPlay, but Tesla's software is actually good enough I don't think I'd miss it.

Ride Quality
This is where things took a turn for the worse, but not in the ways that I expected. I knew I wouldn't feel like I was riding on a cloud, and some amount of road noise wasn't going to surprise me. I drove on some moderately rough patches of road and it was just "fine." The suspension is certainly stiffer than you'll get on most other cars on the road, and you'll feel more bumps and potholes. It feels more like a sports car suspension, but the car really handles more like a sports car, so it's not all that surprising and it really didn't turn me off at all. There was some amount of noise from outside the car that was quite apparent for the drive. While it wasn't unbearable, it certainly wasn't good. What finally broke the deal for me, though, was the strange low-frequency resonance that many on this forum seem to refer to as "booming" / "buffeting." The sound wasn't always present, but when it was, oh man it sucked. It feels like having a high-power subwoofer blasting out a barely-audible frequency that just rumbles in your ears and chest. The sound was most prevalent at low cruising speeds around 30-40mph, even on pretty smooth roads. This issue was actually the main reason for my second demo drive. I thought maybe it was a fluke, but the second demo car turned out to be EVEN WORSE than the first.

Disappointing Summary
Overall, I ended up just being really disappointed in the whole thing. I went from not just ready to buy a Y, but excited to buy a Y based on a previous drive, all the way to realizing there's no way I can justify buying a car that sounds like this. And my change of heart came not from any of the typical complaints about Teslas or EVs, but from a basic inability to meet a "can I even tolerate being in this car for more than 20 minutes with my eyes closed" requirement. There's so much to love about the Y, but there's no amount of cool features that can override fundamental riding discomfort. The fact that two demo Ys had this issue should highlight just how prevalent this issue is, and I really can't believe they're selling as many Ys as they are with demos like this.

If I don't end up buying something else soon (I'll be going to check out an EV6 later this week), then I may have another look at the Y in a year or so and see if things have improved at all.

My overall opinion: :sad_face:

View attachment 910530
"File:Tesla Model Y rear passenger view.jpg" by Daniel.Cardenas is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
FWIW, I am very sensitive to LFE and my 2023 Austin Model Y LR has zero issues with this at any speed. I found the suspension too firm at first, but I am totally ok with it now, but I'm a long time BMW owner, so I'm used to a stiffer ride (especially with the horrible run-flat tires).
Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Yes. I was under the impression that the model y is a similar set up since it slow closes. I haven't really looked at it closely yet though.
If you can, it would be very helpful. I don’t have one and I am speculating that this could be the fundamental reason why the hatch keeps bouncing and causing this booming sound.

That "Boominess" not limited to the Model Y. Most SUV's have that, as the more open of a cabin to the rear truck is what you are hearing. Plus, electric vehicles are quiet without the engine, exhaust and drive train to drown it out.
This is true. The difference to my ear is the sound in the EVs is lower pitched and way more intense. I feel pressure in my inner ear over bumps.

I spent significant time driving a Subaru Forester recently and had no problem. When not on the throttle under 25 mph it’s remarkably quiet, just a subtle rumble from the motor and panel rattles. I could drive a forester all day (at city speeds) without problem, same goes for very quiet luxury ICEV. Have not enough time in the EV6, Ioniq 5, or GV60 to compare.

My Lightning has unfortunately given me this inner ear pressure too, while other trucks have not. It must be a combination of weight and other factors.

That "Boominess" not limited to the Model Y. Most SUV's have that, as the more open of a cabin to the rear truck is what you are hearing. Plus, electric vehicles are quiet without the engine, exhaust and drive train to drown it out.

My 2021 RDX has that, one way to reduce it is keep the cargo cover installed and closed. Getting a thick rear cargo floor liner or rear carpeting will help absorb all they you hear in an electric SUV.
The only SUV I drive is a Mercedes, and the Mercedes does not have the boominess issue. It has zero boominess.

I'm a long-term hybrid driver and I've been itching to make the leap to an all-electric. Based on many glowing reviews from friends who own Teslas, as well as a brief drive of a family member's Model Y, I was ready to pull the trigger and buy a Model Y Long Range after the price drop earlier this year. I ended up holding off, though, to give my wife a chance to try it out with a demo drive before buying, and I ended up being glad we waited and did the demo.

After my two LR demo drives, I was surprised by several things, both good and bad, but ultimately decided now is the not the time to buy a Y. Here's my thoughts:

tl;dr I liked almost everything, but the low-frequency rumbling resonance sounds drove me crazy. Until this is fixed, there's zero chance I'm buying a Y.

Performance
Even after previously driving a Y, I was still surprised at just how much torque is available IMMEDIATELY at any speed. My foot is still calibrated to an underpowered hybrid, so this is something I haven't had in a daily driver in a long time. That feeling of instantly pinning yourself to the back of your seat is just flat out fun. and the Y is just a joy to drive in this regard. The quick responsiveness is something you can't get even in most high-end performance ICE vehicles, much less a "family car" like the Y.

Interior Finish
I was unsure how I'd feel about the interior finishes, especially after reading a few reviews from more traditional auto review sources. It's definitely minimalistic, but it's not without any styling though. There's enough detail to make it feel like some attention was paid to aesthetics, so you're not just riding in bland a box, but it's not trying to feel like driving in a high-end luxury car. For me, that's a good thing. Door panels felt solidly attached and didn't flex, there weren't any creaks or big gaps, and the quality of the surfaces felt like I expected: comparable to a middle-tier vehicle. It's not "cheap" feeling like I've seen may describe, but it's definitely not high-end either. Overall, I ended up really liking the Y's interior.

UX
This was my biggest concern going into the demo drive. I like mechanical buttons and generally don't like interacting with a touch screen in cars. To my pleasant surprise, however, it turned out my fears were completely unfounded. The things I absolutely want mechanical buttons for are still easily accessible on the steering wheel: audio volume, skipping songs / tuning the radio, and cruise control. Navigating the menus to get to the steering wheel and mirror adjustments was a little bit tricky, but no more so than with any other car I'm unfamiliar with. Temperature control, even being on the touch screen, is far easier to find and use than on most traditional cars -- I think part of the ease is due to the enormous size of the touch screen. Almost everything else, even if it's buried in a menu on the screen, is also available via voice control, making it extremely easy to operate without taking your eyes off the road. The "ding" sound when a traffic light turns green -- this feature alone almost had me ready to throw money at Tesla. The Y's UX, despite being different from what I'm used to, was a breeze to use and honestly quite refreshing.

Infotainment
All I'll say, is Tesla absolutely blows away every other manufacturer's infotainment. The screen is huge and responsive, there are tons of apps, the maps and nav are great. The only thing missing is Android Auto and CarPlay, but Tesla's software is actually good enough I don't think I'd miss it.

Ride Quality
This is where things took a turn for the worse, but not in the ways that I expected. I knew I wouldn't feel like I was riding on a cloud, and some amount of road noise wasn't going to surprise me. I drove on some moderately rough patches of road and it was just "fine." The suspension is certainly stiffer than you'll get on most other cars on the road, and you'll feel more bumps and potholes. It feels more like a sports car suspension, but the car really handles more like a sports car, so it's not all that surprising and it really didn't turn me off at all. There was some amount of noise from outside the car that was quite apparent for the drive. While it wasn't unbearable, it certainly wasn't good. What finally broke the deal for me, though, was the strange low-frequency resonance that many on this forum seem to refer to as "booming" / "buffeting." The sound wasn't always present, but when it was, oh man it sucked. It feels like having a high-power subwoofer blasting out a barely-audible frequency that just rumbles in your ears and chest. The sound was most prevalent at low cruising speeds around 30-40mph, even on pretty smooth roads. This issue was actually the main reason for my second demo drive. I thought maybe it was a fluke, but the second demo car turned out to be EVEN WORSE than the first.

Disappointing Summary
Overall, I ended up just being really disappointed in the whole thing. I went from not just ready to buy a Y, but excited to buy a Y based on a previous drive, all the way to realizing there's no way I can justify buying a car that sounds like this. And my change of heart came not from any of the typical complaints about Teslas or EVs, but from a basic inability to meet a "can I even tolerate being in this car for more than 20 minutes with my eyes closed" requirement. There's so much to love about the Y, but there's no amount of cool features that can override fundamental riding discomfort. The fact that two demo Ys had this issue should highlight just how prevalent this issue is, and I really can't believe they're selling as many Ys as they are with demos like this.

If I don't end up buying something else soon (I'll be going to check out an EV6 later this week), then I may have another look at the Y in a year or so and see if things have improved at all.

My overall opinion: :sad_face:

View attachment 910530
"File:Tesla Model Y rear passenger view.jpg" by Daniel.Cardenas is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
Put a set of ear phones on! I have two but cant hear anything but the wind! I purchased two model Y LR cars because of the Tesla charging network! Electric ars may not be for you.

If you can, it would be very helpful. I don’t have one and I am speculating that this could be the fundamental reason why the hatch keeps bouncing and causing this booming sound.
I can confirm that this is how the Model Y trunk operates. It closes and after the initial shut, the electric motor tightens it down and you can see the trunk drop a bit further as it's pulled tight. You can see it in this video.

Reactions: enemji and GoVols!
I can confirm that this is how the Model Y trunk operates. It closes and after the initial shut, the electric motor tightens it down and you can see the trunk drop a bit further as it's pulled tight. You can see it in this video.
Thank you! Yes, I was able to hear the motor whirring after the hatch came down.

While most owners have no issue with this sound, perhaps some are just super sensitive to it, as you still see an occasional post about it.

This is one reason while a test drive is often helpful prior to placing your order. You can quickly learn if the seats are comfy to you, the ride is a good balance between comfort and sport, and the general personality is what you will enjoy.

Tesla Model Y is quickly becoming one of the most popular vehicles in the World. While not for everyone, it seem to be gathering a very loyal following and helping Tesla to consistantly grow it's volume.

I did notice this at first and read all the threads and was super bummed. Then I realized that playing music while driving diminished this by 90% and then in a couple of days I didn't notice it even with the music off and it's been fine since. Others have not found this to be the case, but I thought I'd throw this out there. Weirdly, I did not notice the boominess test driving the Y or when I rented one for a few days.
We noticed an echoing feel rather like an empty van when we test drove. However, we went ahead and found that when Lizzie arrived with a parcel shelf, the echo had gone. If the parcel shelf is removed, the luggage provides the same effect. Otherwise, thankfully no other acoustic anomalies.
The OP mention no Car Play. We have Apple Car Play now .....no?

By the way, we watched ten minutes of "Drive to Survive" on Netflix in the car; what a sound system!

Reactions: iloveplywood

My 2021 RDX has that, one way to reduce it is keep the cargo cover installed and closed. Getting a thick rear cargo floor liner or rear carpeting will help absorb all they you hear in an electric SUV.
Exactly right.

We noticed an echoing feel rather like an empty van when we test drove. However, we went ahead and found that when Lizzie arrived with a parcel shelf, the echo had gone. If the parcel shelf is removed, the luggage provides the same effect. Otherwise, thankfully no other acoustic anomalies.
The OP mention no Car Play. We have Apple Car Play now .....no?

By the way, we watched ten minutes of "Drive to Survive" on Netflix in the car; what a sound system!
You can get apple CarPlay via googling the open source “tesla android project”. There are a few commercial solutions too which use same technique. I prefer open source. Tesla android can do more though such as execute android os Apple Music app playing lossless apple codec media streamed to tesla via Wi-Fi 48Khz PCM lossless/uncompressed audio…no Bluetooth in the mix

A blog about CarPlay via tesla android project is here. Doesn’t cover the android OS topics such as setting up google play store & downloading android os Apple Music. Maybe in near future tutorial will appear.