Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming these sentences are connected and you're talking about the rear view camera, why do you need to guess? It projects two white lines on to the image.
View attachment 885369
Line the end of those closest to the bottom of the picture up with an object in the real world. Exit your vehicle and observe how close said object is to back of car (assuming it's the same as my Y it'll be basically the perfect safe distance for an obstacle to be behind the vehicle). Return to car enlightened and able to reverse with confidence.
this is an old post but man this made me chuckle a bit. 100% this. I've never owned any cars with parking sensors. I backed up just fine with the backup camera and without the camera I do what old fossils did in the past and just turn and look backwards. and boy you have a tiny glass on the trunk you can look THROUGH? luxury.

Reactions: gtae07
I’m not buying any new Tesla without a working, reliable parking system like you’d get on every comparable car, and I imagine I’m not the only one. Breaking an industry-proven solution in favour of crap non-working vapourware should have everybody in an uproar, but the fact that there are a bunch of Tesla apologists telling you that a car doesn’t need parking sensors or niceties like doors, air conditioning etc is the most laughable part, like Tesla is paying you to drive one. Buying a Tesla at the moment would be like giving a treat to a dog after it pisses on the couch, and you NEVER buy something on the promise of a future update fixing a current problem.

IMG_6566.jpeg
IMG_6569.jpeg

This is 2023 Model Y RDW with basic Autopilot. The distance to the wall is approx. 1ft (40cm), Tesla screen shows big crash. Also notice the car next is about same distance from wall, the display shows that is further in front. Not only the distance to the wall is wrong but also the position of the other car related to Tesla.

Some may say the if you pay for FSD or Enhanced Autopilot the results are better. I really doubt it, these are software upgrades not hardware. The data received from sensors and cameras is the same for all three Autopilot versions.
It will be disturbing, maybe even not legal that Tesla will alter this data and provide you wrong info on screen for Autopilot version and shows you the real data only if you pay for FSD.

Not to mention all the alarms and beeps during parking, taking your attention away and making you to look to the screen to see why beeping, instead of looking outside.

I guess, with this implementation, the self-parking will be rather next to the median line than the curb!!

My question is to the guys with FSD or Enhanced Autopilot is this car able to self-park or summon ??

This has been covered at length here in the forums. Your vehicle does not have ultrasonic sensors. It is doing that only by the vision cameras. The features you are talking about are still in development/beta. Some believe Tesla will figure it out. Some do not.

While ultrasonic sensors are better - today - for the case you've described, they are not perfect and also have blind spots and flaws. All of these driver assist features on the market today are merely that: Assist. They all require the driver to ultimately be responsible. They all produce shrill beeping (some of it required by law/lawsuit).

My understanding is that vehicles with vision only are not able to self park or summon yet. I could be very wrong on this (my car is older and has ultrasonic sensors).

Do I think Tesla should have continued with ultrasonic sensors until they figured out / solved full vision? Yes.
Did you know everything related to FSD and AP is in beta and nowhere near completed or autonomous? Yes.

Reactions: richyrich
I had this same issue when parking in our garage when we first brought it home last month. Since then, something has changed and it now seems more accurate, and no longer shows us driving through a box at the back of the garage. Maybe it learns over time?

View attachment 962111 View attachment 962112

This is 2023 Model Y RDW with basic Autopilot. The distance to the wall is approx. 1ft (40cm), Tesla screen shows big crash. Also notice the car next is about same distance from wall, the display shows that is further in front. Not only the distance to the wall is wrong but also the position of the other car related to Tesla.

Some may say the if you pay for FSD or Enhanced Autopilot the results are better. I really doubt it, these are software upgrades not hardware. The data received from sensors and cameras is the same for all three Autopilot versions.
It will be disturbing, maybe even not legal that Tesla will alter this data and provide you wrong info on screen for Autopilot version and shows you the real data only if you pay for FSD.

Not to mention all the alarms and beeps during parking, taking your attention away and making you to look to the screen to see why beeping, instead of looking outside.

I guess, with this implementation, the self-parking will be rather next to the median line than the curb!!

My question is to the guys with FSD or Enhanced Autopilot is this car able to self-park or summon ??
Basically just have to ignore TV and park it yourself. I also noticed that I’m losing more range from “other” category recently and might have to do with TV processing power usage, I wish they would have the option to just let us turn it off

As of now, there are no updates that I am aware of. Tesla was wrong in eliminating the ultrasonic sensors without fully testing the summon and parking features with vision only. They still advertise the enhanced autopilot with these features. Short of filling out formal complaints with your Attorney General and the Federal Trade Commission, you are stuck.

Reactions: fsb1
As of now, there are no updates that I am aware of. Tesla was wrong in eliminating the ultrasonic sensors without fully testing the summon and parking features with vision only. They still advertise the enhanced autopilot with these features. Short of filling out formal complaints with your Attorney General and the Federal Trade Commission, you are stuck.

My above post was in response to prior thread that discussed Tesla's promise to roll out radar with camera's by January 2023. Still waiting for something, anything to be activated, tesla vision, USS, radar, something! So I get what I paid for....

Is there an update on this? It is well past January 2023 and no radar, no USS. I also bought Enhanced Autopilot and got the message that it was disabled until Tesla Vision was activated.

My above post was in response to prior thread that discussed Tesla's promise to roll out radar with camera's by January 2023. Still waiting for something, anything to be activated, tesla vision, USS, radar, something! So I get what I paid for....
Tesla never promised a January 2023 date for restoration of USS features. Where did you get that?

Newer Model Ys don't have radar and never will. In terms of features, most of the radar based features had already been restored. The last remaining was 85mph vs 90mph, and minimum follow distance at 2 vs 1. What kind of message are you seeing, do you have a screenshot?
Are you saying even Auto Lane Change and NOA is not working for you in EAP (those are the two main EAP features)?

For USS related features, Parking Assist is already working in some respects, while
Autopark, Summon, Smart Summon is still pending.

More details in official page:

Just adding my $0.02 here. I've had my new MY for 3 days and the vision-based collision/object detection system is almost hilariously bad. It's constantly freaking out about things that aren't there.

Attached is a picture from last night at dusk. I roll up to a stop light, there is physically nothing in front of me, and it starts freaking out that I'm going to hit something and the little red snake dances all over the front of the car. My best guess: it was being fooled by the "stop line" paint right in front of me, which was partially reflective (like most road paint these days). If it can't handle reflective paint, none of this is going to end well.

Also hilarious, I got in the car in my garage today and it depicted a semi-truck trailer on top of my hood.

Look, I'm in software, and I know this stuff is hard and that progress is sometimes bumpy, but this is ridiculous on a $60k car. This is a solved problem that has been fine in $25k cars for over a decade. They shouldn't have removed the USS until the new tech was ready.

I'm not saying anything new, just adding my experience. Very significant disappointment in an otherwise (mostly) great product.

Attachments

• IMG_1291.jpeg
    IMG_1291.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 69
Just adding my $0.02 here. I've had my new MY for 3 days and the vision-based collision/object detection system is almost hilariously bad. It's constantly freaking out about things that aren't there.

Attached is a picture from last night at dusk. I roll up to a stop light, there is physically nothing in front of me, and it starts freaking out that I'm going to hit something and the little red snake dances all over the front of the car. My best guess: it was being fooled by the "stop line" paint right in front of me, which was partially reflective (like most road paint these days). If it can't handle reflective paint, none of this is going to end well.
I have a USS car and pack assist can also sometimes turn on in traffic, although typically it warns on the side than the front.
Also hilarious, I got in the car in my garage today and it depicted a semi-truck trailer on top of my hood.
This was mentioned elsewhere, but this has nothing to do with USS or the Park Assist. I have USS and it also shows semi trucks in my garage. It has been this way for a long time. The current visualizations for non-FSD Beta cars are quite relatively primitive and the system just picks from a limited set of objects to display.
Look, I'm in software, and I know this stuff is hard and that progress is sometimes bumpy, but this is ridiculous on a $60k car. This is a solved problem that has been fine in $25k cars for over a decade. They shouldn't have removed the USS until the new tech was ready.

I'm not saying anything new, just adding my experience. Very significant disappointment in an otherwise (mostly) great product.