Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y rattles in the back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a really annoying rattle that was coming from the hatch right at the base of the rear window. It went away after I installed my license plates lol. I guess it was the bracket or something that was causing the rattle.

What is an isolator? Do you have the invoice with the description from the service tech?
1677988463838.png

This is what I had

• Informative
Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
At least one of these rattles is fixed. Apparently they had to replace the right rear passenger seat belt. I do hear different rattle on bumpy road that seem to be coming from rear seats themselves. But I am so tired after 8 service appointments since buying the car 3 months ago that I don’t have the energy to pursue this anymore.

One rattle source turned out to be our license plate. Even with 4 screws, there was still enough play to allow it to rattle inside its rubber frame. I bent the plate slightly to make it curved so that the center of the plate contacts the rubber mat of the holder before the edges do. Thus, tightening the screws results in the plate being secure at the edges while forcing the center section into contact as well.

One rattle source turned out to be our license plate. Even with 4 screws, there was still enough play to allow it to rattle inside its rubber frame. I bent the plate slightly to make it curved so that the center of the plate contacts the rubber mat of the holder before the edges do. Thus, tightening the screws results in the plate being secure at the edges while forcing the center section into contact as well.
😲🙀Tesla need to fix this crap. We are not beta testers for Tesla and have day jobs. Can’t keep debugging issues for Tesla while paying top dollar for a non luxury car.

😲🙀Tesla need to fix this crap. We are not beta testers for Tesla and have day jobs. Can’t keep debugging issues for Tesla while paying top dollar for a non luxury car.
NVH problems are unfortunately hard to diagnose and unless you pin point the exact problem, they probably won't do a good job of it. The warranty terms actually have a section to exclude noise, but generally SCs still makes an effort to address it.

i think this was the source of my rattle...i thought it was coming from inside the hatch. i put some foam pads under the plastic mount that came with car and also bent the plate to make the plastic mount hug the body. no rattle so far so hopefully its fixed.

Wanted to give an update on my 2023 Rattles which finally got RESOLVED 🙏 after a Saga which eventually ended with getting the General manager into the loop given how much attitude the Advisor was throwing around at Palo Alto SC and even started telling me that he would charge me for the service because apparently 'Noise' is not covered under warranty. Hope this post helps anybody who is still frustrated with the rattles.

So two things that were causing this,
1 - The rear seats were not bolted properly into the frame, and there are two seat heating components which are just attached to frame and sit below the seats. The one of the right rear was not fixed properly, and this was the main source of noise when going over bumps it was hitting the metal frame and rattling.
2 - The left rear window was not fully attached to the regulator. The glass was vibrating and hitting the regulators when going over the bumps and hence the noise of rattles. If you gently tap on the door when glass is upright position, the glass should not wobble. I saw that happen and SC was initially reluctant to look into that but the GM also reluctantly agreed to look into that. I had been telling them this was the issue from Day1, and for some reason SC is not willing to admit there is fault there.

Anyways, finally after 3months and 5 SC visits, got the issue resolved! It does not rattle when going over bumps and tested it well on the dreaded El Camino Real road. Also, the Model Y rear seat rattle is a known issue, so for folks with the problem please ask them open up bottom of the rear seats and check for loose wires/elements.

I know how frustrating it can be drive around with the rattles, I am so much at peace with the car now and feels good to drive without being frustrated. Hope this helps! :)

We have one rattle left; actually a "buzz", and it's from the black plastic shroud over the front-facing camera behind the rearview mirror. Goes away temporarily if I press on the housing. Only happens at certain times in the afternoon (sun-heating playing a role i guess). Taking a car in for an intermittent noise complaint is just asking for aggravation so I will eventually open it up and see what needs to be done. I'm sure it'll be a simple fix.

We have one rattle left; actually a "buzz", and it's from the black plastic shroud over the front-facing camera behind the rearview mirror. Goes away temporarily if I press on the housing. Only happens at certain times in the afternoon (sun-heating playing a role i guess). Taking a car in for an intermittent noise complaint is just asking for aggravation so I will eventually open it up and see what needs to be done. I'm sure it'll be a simple fix.
I had this issue and fixed it by taking off the plastic housing and there was a clip on the camera housing underneath that wasn’t fully seated. Once I clipped that in and put everything back together I didn’t have any more rattles.

I had this issue and fixed it by taking off the plastic housing and there was a clip on the camera housing underneath that wasn’t fully seated. Once I clipped that in and put everything back together I didn’t have any more rattles.
I have this exact issue took it to the service center and it started rattling again. How did you open the front camera housing? I’m assuming it’s a 2023 model y?

I have this exact issue took it to the service center and it started rattling again. How did you open the front camera housing? I’m assuming it’s a 2023 model y?
If you look at the back of the rear view mirror there a plastic cap you have to pop off and then unscrew the mirror with a torx bit and then the housing pops off.

Mine actually just started rattling again on certain roads so I need to pull it apart again. I might put some felt tape to stop stuff from rattling.

If you look at the back of the rear view mirror there a plastic cap you have to pop off and then unscrew the mirror with a torx bit and then the housing pops off.

Mine actually just started rattling again on certain roads so I need to pull it apart again. I might put some felt tape to stop stuff from rattling.
is there a video you followed to do that? Yea mine does is on bumpy roads.

My 2023 has the rattle in the rear coming from the small glass window. SC replaced it and now it's rattle free. It took awhile for me to isolate the area since it only happened on a few certain roads.

what was it sounding like? was it more of a squeak or metal on metal clinking on certain roads? do you also happen to have a screen shot of the service that was done?

At least one of these rattles is fixed. Apparently they had to replace the right rear passenger seat belt. I do hear different rattle on bumpy road that seem to be coming from rear seats themselves. But I am so tired after 8 service appointments since buying the car 3 months ago that I don’t have the energy to pursue this anymore.

what did the right rear passenger seat belt sound like? was it coming from the actual locking mechanism or down by the bolt?