Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y rattles in the back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My slight rattle in the rear showed up during the car's first winter. I think I just found it. The backing plastic plate on one of the rear seats. I pressed in and off of it and it made the same noise. Well I pressed it in hard and it snapped in. Took her for a drive the noise is gone.
Yup. The backing of rear seats can be source of noise. I put heavy tires on mine and after that there was constant loud sound. My panels had gotten warped and were and were able to vibrate. The panel’s yellow clips had lots of free movement and rattled very slightly when going over bumps. I put twist ties in between yellow clip and back panels plastic. In area where my panel could vibrate against interior metal frame of seat, I put some cardboard (I’ll replace with something more durable). I also had to remove back head reacts and put them in again, this for some reason prevented them from bouncing slightly back and forth. Everyday Chris YouTube channel has video on that.
IMG_1079.jpeg
IMG_1080.jpeg
IMG_1078.jpeg

Reactions: explosive0
Yup. The backing of rear seats can be source of noise. I put heavy tires on mine and after that there was constant loud sound. My panels had gotten warped and were and were able to vibrate. The panel’s yellow clips had lots of free movement and rattled very slightly when going over bumps. I put twist ties in between yellow clip and back panels plastic. In area where my panel could vibrate against interior metal frame of seat, I put some cardboard (I’ll replace with something more durable). I also had to remove back head reacts and put them in again, this for some reason prevented them from bouncing slightly back and forth. Everyday Chris YouTube channel has video on that. View attachment 1013672View attachment 1013671View attachment 1013673
How easy was it to take the back off the seat assembly?

This is from my Model S and what Tesla service center did to get rid of the noise. Weird thing was I thought it was the shock assembly as it would happened over bumps. The car is completely silent now. I sold my Y so I can’t share w you what I did there but the rear was also quiet after wrapping those pins.
Can you describe what you did for the Y?

I also have this. Did anyone pin point where this is actually coming from. It’s driving me nuts
So, after months and some visits to the Tesla repair (they never fixed anything, or just that they did not want to take the time to find the problem) I finally figured out what was the problem.

The noise from the video, in my case, was from the metal frame inside the back seat. This metal frame is held together to the bottom part by 2 screws and the role of them is to hold it and also to provide vertical adjustment of the back seat.

My problem was that the frame was skewed or it was forced somehow and after that the screws were tightened. I just released the screws, and lifted the frame by 5mm (it seemed to me that the original position cause the frame to push on the bolts), then tighten them again. That fixed the noise completely.

Be careful that by modifying the original position of the frame might also misalign the seat from the others.

1708200394448.png

Image credits to ElectricAnt54.

So, after months and some visits to the Tesla repair (they never fixed anything, or just that they did not want to take the time to find the problem) I finally figured out what was the problem.

The noise from the video, in my case, was from the metal frame inside the back seat. This metal frame is held together to the bottom part by 2 screws and the role of them is to hold it and also to provide vertical adjustment of the back seat.

My problem was that the frame was skewed or it was forced somehow and after that the screws were tightened. I just released the screws, and lifted the frame by 5mm (it seemed to me that the original position cause the frame to push on the bolts), then tighten them again. That fixed the noise completely.

Be careful that by modifying the original position of the frame might also misalign the seat from the others.

View attachment 1019321
Image credits to ElectricAnt54.
OMG! I have the exact same rattle on my new 2024 MYLR as well. It's coming from the passenger rear seat back. Is that the very seat you showed in your pic? I isolated it by folding all 3 seat backs down which eliminated the rattles. Then, I folded each one up one by one and driving over rough roads that caused the noise. When I folded up the Right Rear seat back to the upright or slightly reclined position, the rattle was back in full force.

So to my understanding, you simply (1) pulled off the back cover of the seat back and "unscrewed" the 2 bolts where the red arrows are pointing, (2) Lifted upwards and relocated the seat back height and (3) retightened it again. Is that correct? and of course that could cause the seat back to no longer alight with the one next to it I suppose. It's hard to see from the picture but am I right to assume that the bolts loosened are in a track that allows you to slide the setback vertically (up/down)? Thanks for the clarification!

Last edited:
OMG! I have the exact same rattle on my new 2024 MYLR as well. It's coming from the passenger rear seat back. Is that the very seat you showed in your pic? I isolated it by folding all 3 seat backs down which eliminated the rattles. Then, I folded each one up one by one and driving over rough roads that caused the noise. When I folded up the Right Rear seat back to the upright or slightly reclined position, the rattle was back in full force.

So to my understanding, you simply (1) pulled off the back cover of the seat back and "unscrewed" the 2 bolts where the red arrows are pointing, (2) Lifted upwards and relocated the seat back height and (3) retightened it again. Is that correct? and of course that could cause the seat back to no longer alight with the one next to it I suppose. It's hard to see from the picture but am I right to assume that the bolts loosened are in a track that allows you to slide the setback vertically (up/down)? Thanks for the clarification!
Sorry, for some reason I do not get emails when there are new posts on this topic. Short answer, yes you are right about the steps.

Reactions: dsc888
I have had few Tesla service appointments and every time they tell me yes they hear the rattles but not sure about the source and that these can be tricky to fix bla bla bla. In some cases they actually made it worst and then fix the worst part on next appointment. At this point I almost want to grab a hammer and smash the fin car.

Am I just the unlucky one or am I just being ocd here and all model Y just make these rattling noises on even slightly rough roads and freeways (and I am not talking pot holes).

My 14 year old Nissan runs smoother and quieter than this 3 months old ModelY (which I paid $70K that is now probably worth $35K).

Anyone else similar problem or do model Y drivers are just expected to keep their music up so they can’t hear all the screams their car is making.
I have the same *sugar* problem and i have another appointment. If no solution, i will go to lawyer.