Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y RWD vin assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I officially switched from RWD Y to LR AWD. The VIN I received was for 2023. Car will be here next Wednesday and I'll likely schedule pick up that weekend. As much as I wanted to save the money the real world range + cold temperatures would put us in a place I'm not comfortable with.
Completely understandable… if I could swing the extra money I’d go for it too.

How did you make the switch?

It's not software-limited. Model Y RWD uses 2170 cells but it has fewer of them than the Long Range version. Tesla used this same method with the 2020 Model 3 Standard Range RWD with 2170 cells. Of course, they don't design a whole new battery pack for this. They just use the existing Long Range battery pack design but they skip some of the cells and leave those spots blank.
Someone looked into the internals of the 2023.38.8 software and one of the changes they saw was soft limiting of the battery on the MY SR. So it seems they have at least put in the option to do so. Don't know if they've ever done this on the 3 or Y before, but there are number of models of the S and X that have used the soft limit approach.

Folks, I'll say it again - the best indication of battery type is max charging speed. The Tesla website clearly states that the MY RWD has a max charge rate of 170 Kw, which is the same as the RWD M3, which is known to have the LFP battery. AWD MY models have max rate of 250 kw. It's not indicated anywhere on-screen or anywhere else for pre-2024 models. 2024 models will have an indicator in the VIN of battery type.

• Disagree
Reactions: E90alex and ucmndd
I officially switched from RWD Y to LR AWD. The VIN I received was for 2023. Car will be here next Wednesday and I'll likely schedule pick up that weekend. As much as I wanted to save the money the real world range + cold temperatures would put us in a place I'm not comfortable with.
If you routinely drive more than 100 miles in a day I'd definitely understand your concern (or don't have a home charger).

I will say that we've only driven a hundred miles, so i'll report back later - but it looks like the car is more efficient than mom's 3LR. Like looking at the energy dashboard - consumption wise - I'm actually in the green on driving compared to the estimated range. So unlike the dual motors, it looks like the real world range might be a higher % of EPA estimates. I don't have any actual quantitative proof of this, but early signs seem to show better efficiency than anticipated.
On some of the other questions - yes it has floor mats, but carpeted. I need to buy some plastic ones that'll do a better job in case there's a mess (have a 1yr old).

Car did NOT come with a parcel shelf.

Tires (NJ delivery) were continental ProContact RX.

Folks, I'll say it again - the best indication of battery type is max charging speed. The Tesla website clearly states that the MY RWD has a max charge rate of 170 Kw, which is the same as the RWD M3, which is known to have the LFP battery. AWD MY models have max rate of 250 kw. It's not indicated anywhere on-screen or anywhere else for pre-2024 models. 2024 models will have an indicator in the VIN of battery type.
From the pic earlier in this thread it looked like it could charge at 48amps? I have the m3 lfp rwd and it maxes out at 32amp. Having said that i don't know why a 2170 cell pack would be limited to 170kw..it must be software locked for some reason?

From the pic earlier in this thread it looked like it could charge at 48amps? I have the m3 lfp rwd and it maxes out at 32amp. Having said that i don't know why a 2170 cell pack would be limited to 170kw..it must be software locked for some reason?

Maximum DC charging power is generally proportional to the total capacity of the pack.

AC charging rate is limited by the car’s internal charger.

Picked up the RWD today at Paramus NJ.

I believe the following screenshot confirms it's not LFP. The advisor told me it was LFP when I asked today. I don't think they have a clue honestly.

No scratches, basic autopilot worked well on the fairly short ten mile drive home. At 80 percent max charge, range reports as 205 miles.

I'm in NJ, so after 4k pos credit , no sales tax (3k savings ) and the 7500 fed credit I'll get on my tax return, it's the same price effectively as buying a $31k ICE vehicle

Let me know if y'all have questions.

View attachment 991588
Do let us know if it has fog lamps. Read somewhere, the RWD Standard MY doesn’t have it.

I strongly disagree - I think it’s the charge settings - if it says daily to 80%, 100% for a trip, it’s definitely not LFP.

• Disagree
Reactions: DanDi58
Ah. Onto what actually matters eh? My mom has a 3LR so I can benchmark against that.

Compared to the LR , there's a "sluggishness" from 0-20 mph when flooring, which makes sense when you're thinking about one motor pulling from standstill vs 2. After that, it's surprisingly punchy. That's the best way I can describe the acceleration. Then again, this thing is replacing the Mazda cx-9 so it's faster than the outgoing vehicle.

Outside of that drawback (comparing to the dual motor), rest of the experience is good. I'm not sure what's going on with Tesla vision though. I think Elon botched that launch. Mom's car has the sensors , this thing just bugs out when I get close to my garage. Useless beeps and such. And no backup beeps. But that's not specific to RWD. Range is 200 and I expect 150 in winter Jan/ Feb temps, but we don't do long drives regularly. I'm buying dedicated vredenstein tires off tire rack for winter.

Sound system is premium, the doors feel more solid than the 3LR from 2021. They feel less tinny. I noticed they changed the visors too, the 3LR had flimsy ones, this one has decent thickness.

Overall I think this is a sleeper. Keep in mind this is for a family hauler. I have a ND2 Miata that I drive for fun. If the car is meant to satisfy performance/ thrill while hauling, you might want to look dual motor.
Would love for someone to test one on a dry winding road against a long range MY, just to see if that 150kg of weight above the front axle makes much difference to the handling.

Anyone see the new price cuts? MY RWD starts at $42,230 if you check the new inventory... any way to price adjust or should I cancel and reorder given that I don't have a VIN yet... and will these discounts be eligible for leasing?

Contact your Tesla advisor and they may be able to switch your order to the inventory VIN, if you already have an order.
I did just that today and they were able to switch my order to a LR AWD and was assigned a VIN immediately. The good thing is that they included the $2000 price adjustment so the total was only $3000 more than the RWD. The bad part is that I'm leasing the vehicle and they somehow doubled the money factor and increased the monthly lease payment by $104, which over 36 months equals $3740, greater than the actual price difference between the two cars. I'm very annoyed with this, I expected a price increase of course but maybe half of what they raised the price by. Now I'm considering cancelling the order altogether. Disappointed in this mismanagement.

I did just that today and they were able to switch my order to a LR AWD and was assigned a VIN immediately. The good thing is that they included the $2000 price adjustment so the total was only $3000 more than the RWD. The bad part is that I'm leasing the vehicle and they somehow doubled the money factor and increased the monthly lease payment by $104, which over 36 months equals $3740, greater than the actual price difference between the two cars. I'm very annoyed with this, I expected a price increase of course but maybe half of what they raised the price by. Now I'm considering cancelling the order altogether. Disappointed in this mismanagement.
I did exactly the same thing. Took delivery the same day. Price of standard RWD also dropped by about $1800. So, didn’t save much.

I was okay with the additional 3K from my old price I was ok to pay. And lucky, I got the same APR on financing and it’s all good.

I also think the RWD is an extremely good car & with the reduced price it’s a steal. But I was getting a bit worried about the delivery times.

Do let us know if it has fog lamps. Read somewhere, the RWD Standard MY doesn’t have it.
No fog lights - confirmed.

Driven it 300 miles now in just over a week, averaging 250wh/mi.

Also, did a trip on Thanksgiving to Newark airport and back. 2 Passengers & 100 lbs of luggage on the way there, driving like an uber driver. On the way back, drove like a highway bully with a lead foot. When i checked the consumption vs rated I saw the below, which was surprising. I was actually on par with EPA rated if i'm reading this correctly.

This thing has more than enough power once its moving, great on the highway - really liking the vehicle. I really bought it more as an appliance, and my wife will mostly be driving it, but I'm enjoying it more than i thought I would.

PXL_20231124_015302337.jpg