Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
05 Apr 23 Summary

Day 5 of Q2 and we are waiting for an EU-bound ship to pitch up at Shanghai South.

Already on the way we have:

GRANDE HOUSTON Can't be sure she is carrying any Teslas (and if she is it's not likely to be many) however she will end up in Southampton on 28 Apr.

MORNING CALYPSO ETA Barcelona 24 Apr Confirmed to have Teslas onboard.

You can follow the ships on this map. It is quite unique in that it is updated with the latest data available including satellite data, unlike others on the internet with 'periodic' updates.

Reactions: XHabjab
I forgot to mention the March UK sales figures for Tesla of 10,493 (8,123 of which were Model Ys).
This is lower than my estimate of 11,700 and well below Troy Teslike's estimate of 12, 940.
I know how I calculated my figure and it would suggest that Tesla may have, for the first time to my knowledge, a significant inventory of unsold cars in the UK.
Now the doom sayers would suggest that this is a reflection of how the demand for Teslas has plummeted and the Tesla bubble is about to burst HOWEVER it's worth pointing out that the Tesla Model Y was the best selling car in the UK in March and that's not just best selling EV, but best selling car overall, outselling all the usual petrol and diesels of the big name brands. March is a peak sales month in the UK because of the release of the 2023 registration plate and so this really is a significant achievement.
Of course, when the April figures are released the Tesla figures will be dismal in comparison to March's (because of the shipping cycle) and so the doom sayers will have some headlines. Having said that, I suspect some of the unsold cars are lease cars that have yet to be delivered to customers. There are a couple of lethargic leasing companies who don't share the enthusiam of quarter-ends like Tesla and have a preference to the financial year which runs from 06 April in the UK, so the Tesla April sales figures may well get close to 4 figures.
We shall see....

Hi Mr Miserable.

Thanks for providing all the updates - it’s absolutely fascinating following the all movements!

I ordered a MYLR through my company’s salary sacrifice scheme; a PO was raised on Monday and I got my RN yesterday. When I called Tesla for an ETA this morning, they mentioned the EDD window is April 17th-May 2nd. However, they had no information on the reg or VIN. Does this mean the car is already in the UK or in one of the inbound ships?

Hi Mr Miserable.

Thanks for providing all the updates - it’s absolutely fascinating following the all movements!

I ordered a MYLR through my company’s salary sacrifice scheme; a PO was raised on Monday and I got my RN yesterday. When I called Tesla for an ETA this morning, they mentioned the EDD window is April 17th-May 2nd. However, they had no information on the reg or VIN. Does this mean the car is already in the UK or in one of the inbound ships?
It's difficult to make any conclusions based on a Tesla EDD, they are simply not reliable - they change with the wind. Quite frankly, I don't know why they bother with them. In my case, I took delivery last August of my MYLR and yet about a month before the EDD had slipped to December! Complete nonesense.
There are a significant number of cars in inventory at the moment and so I suspect you will be allocated one of those.
The good news is that it seems your leasing company is one of the more dynamic ones and seem to be on the ball and so I suspect you won't be waiting long.

It seems likely that GRAND CHAMPION is a Tesla charter and will be heading to Europe.
If she departs on Saturday I would expect her to arrrive in Zeebrugge around 06 May or Koper on 30 Apr or even Barcelona on 01 May.
A subsequent voyage for her is showing as departing to South Africa from Antwerp on 12 May.

Having said that, there is time for her to head to N Korea first, a pattern which we witnessed a couple of times in Q1.

Last edited:
Just got my MYP reg and VIN. Apr 12 delivery. Ordered early Feb.

It's difficult to make any conclusions based on a Tesla EDD, they are simply not reliable - they change with the wind. Quite frankly, I don't know why they bother with them. In my case, I took delivery last August of my MYLR and yet about a month before the EDD had slipped to December! Complete nonesense.
There are a significant number of cars in inventory at the moment and so I suspect you will be allocated one of those.
The good news is that it seems your leasing company is one of the more dynamic ones and seem to be on the ball and so I suspect you won't be waiting long.
How do you rate Ogilvie fleet?

December EDD a month before delivery? Yikes!

Sounds like I should take it with a grain of salt then. The only issue is that I need to sell my personal car and I was hoping to coordinate that as per the delivery date - don’t want to be stuck without a car for too long, or conversely, be stuck with two vehicles, especially since I only have one parking spot in my building.

Yeah it could be inventory, but iirc, my spec Blue/White/19” wasn’t in stock when I put the order in.

Either way, you’re right about the leasing company (lex Autolease); they’ve at least pushed through with the processes in a timely manner.

Thanks for your insight. Much appreciated!

December EDD a month before delivery? Yikes!

Sounds like I should take it with a grain of salt then. The only issue is that I need to sell my personal car and I was hoping to coordinate that as per the delivery date - don’t want to be stuck without a car for too long, or conversely, be stuck with two vehicles, especially since I only have one parking spot in my building.

Yeah it could be inventory, but iirc, my spec Blue/White/19” wasn’t in stock when I put the order in.

Either way, you’re right about the leasing company (lex Autolease); they’ve at least pushed through with the processes in a timely manner.

Thanks for your insight. Much appreciated!
I would wait until you have a VIN and Reg - the likely delivery date should be pretty accurate at that point.
Come back here and let us know when that happens as it may be an indication of another shipment from Shanghai!

I forgot to mention the March UK sales figures for Tesla of 10,493 (8,123 of which were Model Ys).
This is lower than my estimate of 11,700 and well below Troy Teslike's estimate of 12, 940.
I know how I calculated my figure and it would suggest that Tesla may have, for the first time to my knowledge, a significant inventory of unsold cars in the UK.
Now the doom sayers would suggest that this is a reflection of how the demand for Teslas has plummeted and the Tesla bubble is about to burst HOWEVER it's worth pointing out that the Tesla Model Y was the best selling car in the UK in March and that's not just best selling EV, but best selling car overall, outselling all the usual petrol and diesels of the big name brands. March is a peak sales month in the UK because of the release of the 2023 registration plate and so this really is a significant achievement.
Of course, when the April figures are released the Tesla figures will be dismal in comparison to March's (because of the shipping cycle) and so the doom sayers will have some headlines. Having said that, I suspect some of the unsold cars are lease cars that have yet to be delivered to customers. There are a couple of lethargic leasing companies who don't share the enthusiam of quarter-ends like Tesla and have a preference to the financial year which runs from 06 April in the UK, so the Tesla April sales figures may well get close to 4 figures.
We shall see....
Yes - at the Trafford centre in Manchester there are still maybe 300 cars even today and if this is repeated at other uk delivery centres there could be well over a thousand in total.

06 Apr 23 Summary

GRANDE HOUSTON I can't be sure she is carrying any Teslas (and if she is, it's not likely to be many) however she will end up in Southampton on 28 Apr.

MORNING CALYPSO ETA Barcelona 24 Apr Confirmed to have Teslas onboard, currently refuelling off Singapore.

GRAND CHAMPION is confimed to be a Tesla ship from the latest WuWa video. She is currently loading at Shanghai South and will head to an EU port.
Worryingly, the video also showed the car compounds heavily stocked with another marque (BYD?). If these are for export this is going to make identifying true Tesla shipments harder to single out.

You can follow the ships on this map. It is quite unique in that it is updated with the latest data available including satellite data, unlike others on the internet with 'periodic' updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: XHabjab
It seems likely that GRAND CHAMPION is a Tesla charter and will be heading to Europe.
If she departs on Saturday I would expect her to arrrive in Zeebrugge around 06 May or Koper on 30 Apr or even Barcelona on 01 May.
A subsequent voyage for her is showing as departing to South Africa from Antwerp on 12 May.

Having said that, there is time for her to head to N Korea first, a pattern which we witnessed a couple of times in Q1.

06 Apr 23 Summary

GRANDE HOUSTON I can't be sure she is carrying any Teslas (and if she is, it's not likely to be many) however she will end up in Southampton on 28 Apr.

MORNING CALYPSO ETA Barcelona 24 Apr Confirmed to have Teslas onboard, currently refuelling off Singapore.

GRAND CHAMPION is confimed to be a Tesla ship from the latest WuWa video. She is currently loading at Shanghai South and will head to an EU port.
Worryingly, the video also showed the car compounds heavily stocked with another marque (BYD?). If these are for export this is going to make identifying true Tesla shipments harder to single out.

Well, we already started with the doubts since the Malaysia Grace is arriving at the south port, just when the Grand Champion leaves it. It's time to play guessing games.