Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024.20 headlights Finally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heard that opinion before, if Elon thinks V2X will be detrimental to the powerwall business then IMO it is short sighted. V2X will be mandated in EVs eventually, why not move on it now so the Koreans don't have all the front running. IMO the extra vehicle sales would outweigh any reduction in powerwalls anyway.
Shortsighted is a pretty apt descriptor for Elon

Reactions: E90alex
I have heard that opinion before, if Elon thinks V2X will be detrimental to the powerwall business then IMO it is short sighted. V2X will be mandated in EVs eventually, why not move on it now so the Koreans don't have all the front running. IMO the extra vehicle sales would outweigh any reduction in powerwalls anyway.
There are some complications that would have to be worked through, although I don’t think any of them are insurmountable. The main one that comes to mind for me is the way the vehicle is warranted - particularly the battery and charging system. You might need to include some cycle-based metric as opposed to vehicle mileage.

The extra vehicle sales won't make up for the loss of Powerwall sales. Basically in terms of selling more cars to the general public, this feature is unlikely to move the needle very much (for example I doubt most EV buyers even know the V2L capabilities or lack thereof of the various EV models), but in terms of impact to powerwall sales it would be disproportionate.

As for it being mandated anytime soon, I don't see any moves to do so. We have had long existing low hanging fruit (like grid controlled AC controllers and other load controllers) and they have not been mandated, with no proposals to do so. Neither have grid controlled chargers.

Reactions: ucmndd
As for it being mandated anytime soon, I don't see any moves to do so. We have had long existing low hanging fruit (like grid controlled AC controllers and other load controllers) and they have not been mandated, with no proposals to do so. Neither have grid controlled chargers.
Agreed. V2X is complicated and involves thousands of dollars of electrical equipment and labor to make it all work.

As there’s no standard yet for how it all works, I can understand why people would be reluctant to invest. Get rid of your EV or trade to another brand and all that expensive gear hanging on your house is worthless.

Agreed. V2X is complicated and involves thousands of dollars of electrical equipment and labor to make it all work.

As there’s no standard yet for how it all works, I can understand why people would be reluctant to invest. Get rid of your EV or trade to another brand and all that expensive gear hanging on your house is worthless.
Yeah, the only thing close to a "universal" solution is a simple transfer switch, with a dumb generator socket, but that throws all the "smarts" out the window and doesn't allow for grid control to make it actually useful to the grid. So far all the more advanced V2H solutions are proprietary (from the Leaf's CHAdeMO system that didn't seem to get off the ground, to the Lighting's CCS plugged solution, to Cybertruck's). The industry will really need to come together and make a standards based solution that works across brands before widespread V2G can happen.

Reactions: E90alex
Can confirm the feature appears on US Model S with matrix headlamps. Unfortunately it’s tied to having auto high beams enabled

IMG_4220.jpeg

Can confirm the feature appears on US Model S with matrix headlamps. Unfortunately it’s tied to having auto high beams enabled

I just received 2024.20 tonight and can also confirm that auto high beams must be enabled in my Model 3 to enable adaptive headlights.

I tried it out and was unable to see more light to the sides when turnong on residential side streets. Perhaps this works on highway curves in dark areas. I also discovered that I was unable to manually activate high beams while auto high beams were activated; however, I could manually flash them.