Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024.20 headlights Finally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what I was trying to say, Kayrish said it MUCH better than I. Point is, nothing is moving. Lights are going on and off and the beam is being redirected.
- I think - ;)

I think this is correct. Watch a video with teardown of a Tesla matrix headlamp, and the only moving parts are the cooling fans behind the LED heatsinks. Man, I totally misremembered that walkthrough, must've been something else. See video link below. You'll find the moving parts. 🤦‍♂️

Tesla's headlamps are, IIRC, a 28x4 matrix of individually addressable LEDs (picture below).

Pretty sure that still applies.

The moving left and right around turns have been on cars in the US before, but not the adaptive that can dim areas to not blind cars, which the NHTSA is still preventing.

The NHTSA isn't preventing anything. They've gotten on board with the concept and published requirements. The "issue", such as it is, is that their requirements are actually more stringent than what is allowed in other countries. Car companies who had previous thought they could use their decade-old matrix technology are having to make it even better. My understanding is that once they've built something that works in the US it will work in other countries, too. The real "issue" is PR posturing by companies trying to create an issue because they would rather just copy/paste their old technology to the US market.

To be honest, I'm still waiting to see whether my 2021 matrix lights will be enabled. It might be that they don't cut it. Or that Tesla enables them and a few months later the NHTSA makes them turn it off (because they don't cut it).

Frankly I'm still happy: the "matrix" lights back in 2021 were described as "projection" headlamps, and I was happy to get them because they throw a brighter beam than the non-matrix headlamps. As far as I'm concerned they're better, I got what I paid for, and I'm happy. I hope I get the adaptive functionality, but that's a bonus.

Found the closeup of the matrix:
1718041653965.png

You can find this in

Last edited:
Reactions: primedive
My apologies, in my haste I added the wrong link.
This is better.

I think this is correct. Watch a video with teardown of a Tesla matrix headlamp, and the only moving parts are the cooling fans behind the LED heatsinks.

Tesla's headlamps are, IIRC, a 13x4 matrix of individually addressable LEDs.

Incorrect. Have you ever gone into the headlight adjust menu? The projectors (or perhaps the entire frame) clearly can move vertically and horizontally.

The video linked above at 10:30 literally shows the motor(s) that moves the projector beam around. Even the reflector part of the headlight can pivot up and down. The start of the video also shows the startup sequence which shows the entire range of movement of the headlights.

While in video projectors, there are ways to modify the picture digitally (for example usually the keystone adjustment is done in software), the resolution of the led matrix doesn't allow for that in this case. Also such digital adjustment only allows you to adjust within the already existing beam area (meaning for example if you want to move the light past the edge, you can't, all the software adjustment is doing is shutting off or dimming certain pixels). That is why in projectors with left and right shift adjustments, they still physically move either the lens or the imaging chip to physically shift it.

As corrected later on, the exotic solid state beam steering method doesn't actually exist in any LED lighting product as of today AFAIK (article linked describes it for LIDAR).
It actually requires a special chip, it's not something you can do with a regular LED array. In comparison, projector lens/image shift motor mechanisms have been used for literally decades and is fairly inexpensive. For applications where you don't need to move the beam/image super fast, it's sufficient enough.

Last edited:
I think this is correct. Watch a video with teardown of a Tesla matrix headlamp, and the only moving parts are the cooling fans behind the LED heatsinks. Man, I totally misremembered that walkthrough, must've been something else. See video link below. You'll find the moving parts. 🤦‍♂️

Tesla's headlamps are, IIRC, a 28x4 matrix of individually addressable LEDs (picture below).

The NHTSA isn't preventing anything. They've gotten on board with the concept and published requirements. The "issue", such as it is, is that their requirements are actually more stringent than what is allowed in other countries. Car companies who had previous thought they could use their decade-old matrix technology are having to make it even better. My understanding is that once they've built something that works in the US it will work in other countries, too. The real "issue" is PR posturing by companies trying to create an issue because they would rather just copy/paste their old technology to the US market.

To be honest, I'm still waiting to see whether my 2021 matrix lights will be enabled. It might be that they don't cut it. Or that Tesla enables them and a few months later the NHTSA makes them turn it off (because they don't cut it).

Frankly I'm still happy: the "matrix" lights back in 2021 were described as "projection" headlamps, and I was happy to get them because they throw a brighter beam than the non-matrix headlamps. As far as I'm concerned they're better, I got what I paid for, and I'm happy. I hope I get the adaptive functionality, but that's a bonus.

Found the closeup of the matrix:
View attachment 1055246

You can find this in
Yeah, I posted this video on the first page of this thread. Thanks though.

Reactions: TunaBug
MYLR doesn't have the matrix headlight, so no adaptive features on the hardware. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Depends when you bought the MYLR. Throughout 2022 Tesla had bursts of putting Matrix lights on the MYLR and then months of using the non-matrix. I can't remember the detailed dates anymore but I know there was 1-2 months of Matrix sometime in June-Sep 2022. Then they were back to standard lights in October when I got my MYLR delivered. Early 2023 cars didn't have Matrix but I think by Jan 2023 the Matrix became fairly standard going forward at least out of Fremont. I know Austin was a bit different. Can't recall if they had Matrix earlier or later...I think later.

Agreed, I just switched from the original lights a month ago and it's a huge difference even with the regular low beams. They did improve their reflectors in 2019 with a minor design update. We have a 2020 Y and it's not as bad, but the matrixLEDs do illuminate further and the sidewalk/pedestrian area coverage is really good.

Just got the update on my '23 3 RWD and when driving through my neighborhood and a nearby winding back road I could clearly see the low beams swiveling- especially where they overlap- but I couldn't for the life of me notice any more light being thrown towards the direction I was steering.
You're saying the light moves with the road curvature but not with the steering input, right? I got the update yesterday but didn't go try it out last night. Will do so tonight to see how it works.

Reactions: Lance From Jax
Just got the update on my '23 3 RWD and when driving through my neighborhood and a nearby winding back road I could clearly see the low beams swiveling- especially where they overlap- but I couldn't for the life of me notice any more light being thrown towards the direction I was steering.
Same here. No useful cornering light.

Hopefully I get real adaptive headlights someday...

So just got the update to enable the adaptive headlight function on my 2022 model y. Honestly I couldn't see any differences before having it on or off. Have you guys noticed a difference? Or are there more updates to come?

I live in the mountains and regularly drive pitch dark windy deserted roads that are the perfect place to test this functionality.

This update is pure snake oil. The lights do nothing. They do not move, the beam does not change or adapt or adjust in any way whatsoever.

Zilch.

Yes I have matrix lights. 2024 YLR. Yes I enabled the feature. No, it did nothing. High beams or low.

Last edited:
I think all of you above are looking for the wrong thing. Looking for videos in Europe where it was first released, the main function of the adaptive headlights seems to be when the high beams are on, it dims the lights where there are oncoming or cars it is following. The effect is very obvious.

It does not however appear to move the lights for curves (at least not in any very obvious way). The latter video also compares to BMW's adaptive headlights (which claim they move for curves) and it doesn't do so in any obvious way either. Maybe people have unrealistic expectations? I personally never had any strong expectations, even not having it is not a big deal for me (it's just a bonus feature that was never promised).

Last edited:
I think all of you above are looking for the wrong thing.
To be fair, Tesla themselves are the ones setting the expectation.

IMG_0422.jpeg

Looking for videos in Europe where it was first released, the main function of the adaptive headlights seems to be when the high beams are on, it dims the lights where there are oncoming or cars it is following.
I believe this feature is very explicitly NOT enabled in US cars yet because of the emerging (and apparently difficult to comply with) regulations.

The effect is very obvious.
Agreed, and again, it most definitely isn’t enabled here in the US yet based on what I can see.

It does not however appear to move the lights for curves (at least not in any very obvious way).
Also agreed. But Tesla’s release notes imply exactly the opposite. 😂
Maybe people have unrealistic expectations? I personally never had any strong expectations, even not having it is not a big deal for me (it's just a bonus feature that was never promised).
Agreed again, I had no expectations at all, but Tesla set the expectation and then delivered - from what I can see - literally nothing. I suppose that shouldn’t be a surprise from Tesla in 2024. 😉

Reactions: unhyphy and Quamera
V2X could harm the power wall business. You get a lot more battery per dollar buying a model 3 than a dedicated powerwall
I have heard that opinion before, if Elon thinks V2X will be detrimental to the powerwall business then IMO it is short sighted. V2X will be mandated in EVs eventually, why not move on it now so the Koreans don't have all the front running. IMO the extra vehicle sales would outweigh any reduction in powerwalls anyway.