Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Chevy Blazer EV: Up to 320 mile range, MSRP between $45-$66k, plus a “Police Pursuit” model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If given the choice, would you take the Blazer or reskin version (Honda Progue)?

Hope Honda fixes some of the interior with $7500 tax credit. So hopefully cheaper.

I be up for the Honda version with fwd as daily commuter.

According to the OP, 190 kW charging yields just 78 miles of range in ten minutes. It's unclear if that's for a single or dual motor Blazer.

For comparison, my 4-year-old, 140,000-mile Model 3 can charge from 5% to 50% (+30 kWh) in ten minutes (source), yielding 123 miles of rated range (accounting for current degradation).

If a new Y-LR can also charge 5% to 50% in ten minutes, that would yield 148 miles of rated range. If we correct that by 0.8 for Tesla's optimistic EPA figures, we're at 118 miles of real-world range in ten minutes, or 50% better than the Blazer.

Edit: According to a test by Kyle from Out of Spec (source), the Y-LR can do 5% to 44% (+33 kWh) in 10 minutes. 128.7 miles of rated range * 0.8 = 103 miles of real world range, or 33% better than the Blazer.

Last edited:
My concern about this Blazer thing is that lower-priced trims will be totally killed in competition against VW ID.4. Mary likes to talk about cheap under $40k cars, but GM it is increasingly evident that GM will be unable to deliver on Mary's words. She is a liar who screams for SEC scrutiny. I think so starting with the Nikola story when GM tried to use investor money to develop its own manufacturing facilities supposedly to build something for Nikola. I am glad that Nikola was mainly put down, but I strongly believe GM shall go the same way as Nikola.

Automotive pouch cell - extreme temperatures, vibration etc - means risks of shorts & REALLY big bag of gas bursting, combusts in air, lots of energy, little to stop spreading to other cells (thermal runaway).

LFP (Iron Phosphate) or well engineered cylinders for safety & longevity. Why more OEMs aren't embracing LFP is probably down to inefficient drivertrains & aerodynamics. LFP seems like best option for volume EV adoption (for now).

According to the OP, 190 kW charging yields just 78 miles of range in ten minutes. It's unclear if that's for a single or dual motor Blazer.

For comparison, my 4-year-old, 140,000-mile Model 3 can charge from 5% to 50% (+30 kWh) in ten minutes (source), yielding 123 miles of rated range (accounting for current degradation).

If a new Y-LR can also charge 5% to 50% in ten minutes, that would yield 148 miles of rated range. If we correct that by 0.8 for Tesla's optimistic EPA figures, we're at 118 miles of real-world range in ten minutes, or 50% better than the Blazer.

Edit: According to a test by Kyle from Out of Spec (source), the Y-LR can do 5% to 44% (+33 kWh) in 10 minutes. 128.7 miles of rated range * 0.8 = 103 miles of real world range, or 33% better than the Blazer.

Yea, Tesla has better charging rates, but most of the people buying these will be first time EV owners; not Tesla owners. With most folks only doing 30-40 miles a day, many should be able to get by charging with just a standard outlet (I did the same with my M3P for 6 months.) In the event they do need to use a level 2 charger, sure it’ll be slower than a Tesla, but most folks will not have a personal reference to judge by. It doesn’t seem like a huge con for folks that may only need to do it a few times a year.

Last edited:
I have test drove ev6, saw ioniq 5, drove id4. Drove mach e. They do not compare to my model y performance. Hands down usability. Reliability, headroom, battery tech. User interface, Tesla wins... There's a reason why Tesla is selling hundreds of thousands of y compared to tens of thousands of all the other EV cuv / SUV listed. Teslas battery tech is light years ahead.

Yea, Tesla has better charging rates, but most of the people buying these will be first time EV owners; not Tesla owners. With most folks only doing 30-40 miles a day, many should be able to get by charging with just a standard outlet (I did the same with my M3P for 6 months.) In the event they do need to use a level 2 charger, sure it’ll be slower than a Tesla, but most folks will not have a personal reference to judge by. It doesn’t seem like a huge con for folks that may only need to do it a few times a year.

Sure, the average experience of someone just doing the daily grind will be just fine - similar to a Tesla. But once they take a road trip to a national park or grandma's house, they're going to have a less optimal experience.

People already have a negative impression of EVs on extended road trips, and a slow-charging, inefficient car is going to reinforce that negative impression. I can't count the number of times someone (non-EV owner; prospective buyer) has expressed concern over how long it takes to do a drive they might only do once or twice per year, even when the daily time and money savings are significant.

Check out some of the videos about F-150 Lightning road trips and make note of how long they spend charging. The Blazer will be better than that, but it illustrates my point.

Sure, the average experience of someone just doing the daily grind will be just fine - similar to a Tesla. But once they take a road trip to a national park or grandma's house, they're going to have a less optimal experience.

People already have a negative impression of EVs on extended road trips, and a slow-charging, inefficient car is going to reinforce that negative impression. I can't count the number of times someone (non-EV owner; prospective buyer) has expressed concern over how long it takes to do a drive they might only do once or twice per year, even when the daily time and money savings are significant.

Check out some of the videos about F-150 Lightning road trips and make note of how long they spend charging. The Blazer will be better than that, but it illustrates my point.
Charging infrastructure sucks AF for non Tesla's. I would never...

Reactions: RPM51 and bkp_duke
Automotive pouch cell - extreme temperatures, vibration etc - means risks of shorts & REALLY big bag of gas bursting, combusts in air, lots of energy, little to stop spreading to other cells (thermal runaway).

LFP (Iron Phosphate) or well engineered cylinders for safety & longevity. Why more OEMs aren't embracing LFP is probably down to inefficient drivertrains & aerodynamics. LFP seems like best option for volume EV adoption (for now).
Stop spreading FUD.

I have test drove ev6, saw ioniq 5, drove id4. Drove mach e. They do not compare to my model y performance. Hands down usability. Reliability, headroom, battery tech. User interface, Tesla wins... There's a reason why Tesla is selling hundreds of thousands of y compared to tens of thousands of all the other EV cuv / SUV listed. Teslas battery tech is light years ahead.
That reason is that other automakers can't make enough BEVs.

It's a seller's market right now.

Almost anything would sell, assuming that it is not a total dud.

That reason is that other automakers can't make enough BEVs.

It's a seller's market right now.

Almost anything would sell, assuming that it is not a total dud.

Right. Even the Bolt EV (with probably the worst EV recall in recent memory) is expected to rebound to record sales. That has a max charging speed of 55KW (less than a third of the Blazer EV) and was still practically sold out prior to the stop-sale.

Right. Even the Bolt EV (with probably the worst EV recall in recent memory) is expected to rebound to record sales. That has a max charging speed of 55KW (less than a third of the Blazer EV) and was still practically sold out prior to the stop-sale.
The Chevy Bolt was fine for 2016. The problem is that it hasn't been significantly updated since then.

Reactions: cwerdna and Jeff N
I think the Bolt EUV is new for this year but yeah its still largely the same platform. They still have surprisingly high interest for having such a high-profile recall.

Selling them at a post-recall price that's so low that it has negative margins may be part of why there's demand.