Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Ys 10% off already

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No Y update until 2025.
I don’t get what all the excitement over the refresh is. The range increase is negligible (for the Model 3 LR the increase is 2%…a rounding error…and for the base it’s exactly the same). I guess some ppl like the redesigned fascia but that looks like a reduction in parts more than an improvement. The rear screen in back…who cares? The one real advantage I see are the ventilated seats; that’s nice…but hardly worth waiting for in and of itself. The Highland also brought changes I don’t like (no stalks and having to shift on the LCD, which looks awkward, at best, though I’m sure I’d get used to it).

Reactions: KJD
I don’t get what all the excitement over the refresh is. The range increase is negligible (for the Model 3 LR the increase is 2%…a rounding error…and for the base it’s exactly the same). I guess some ppl like the redesigned fascia but that looks like a reduction in parts more than an improvement. The rear screen in back…who cares? The one real advantage I see are the ventilated seats; that’s nice…but hardly worth waiting for in and of itself. The Highland also brought changes I don’t like (no stalks and having to shift on the LCD, which looks awkward, at best, though I’m sure I’d get used to it).
Much better interior materials. Ventilated seats. New motors. New brakes. New wheel hubs. More insulation and seals. Acoustic laminated glass on all windows for less noise. Improved body panel fit and smaller gaps. 20% less NVH. Frequency dependent shock absorbers. Faster screen processor. Thinner bezel on screen increases display area. Faster autopilot. Ambient lighting. And more suspension and body changes.

Basically a higher quality car. Definitely worth waiting for, particularly since the old Ys will depreciate a lot as soon as the updated version is released.

Suspension / ride comfort would be the big one. Especially since the Y is particularly horrid in that regard.

Suspension / ride comfort would be the big one. Especially since the Y is particularly horrid in that regard.
Agree! The ride quality, noise is way better in 2024 MY compared to my 2017 MS! While MS cost close to 90K in 2017 and the 2024 MY is under 40K with all the incentives and better at ride, noise and efficiency only goes to show you the cars are getting better every year. Depreciation is a given, whether its an ICE or EV! I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee I bought in 2019 cost 60K and today Carmax wants to buy it for 23K. I said no thanks! I will just run it until the wheels come off!

Reactions: Skavatar
Much better interior materials. Ventilated seats. New motors. New brakes. New wheel hubs. More insulation and seals. Acoustic laminated glass on all windows for less noise. Improved body panel fit and smaller gaps. 20% less NVH. Frequency dependent shock absorbers. Faster screen processor. Thinner bezel on screen increases display area. Faster autopilot. Ambient lighting. And more suspension and body changes.

Basically a higher quality car. Definitely worth waiting for, particularly since the old Ys will depreciate a lot as soon as the updated version is released.
These maybe true of the Highland over the 2023 3 but many of those improvements have already reached (at least in part) Model Y. Laminated glass, for instance, is already on the front windows in Model Y (just missing off the rear windows now). And specifically WRT to motors, I believe those are the same.

These threads feel like the people who aren’t buying this year’s iPhone because there’s a new one coming out next year…but there’s always a new one coming out (and the differences are always less than we think they’ll be). Unless the release is imminent, I don’t see the point in waiting.

Last edited:

Agreed!

It's going to be tough selling older Y right next to New M3.

Tax credit(for MY) will help in the US. But I can't imagine how that will look elsewhere.

These maybe true of the Highland over the 2023 3 but many of those improvements have already reached (at least in part) Model Y. Laminated glass, for instance, is already on the front windows in Model Y (just missing off the rear windows now). And specifically WRT to motors, I believe those are the same.

These threads feel like the people who aren’t buying this year’s iPhone because there’s a new one coming out next year…but there’s always a new one coming out (and the differences are always less than we think they’ll be). Unless the release is imminent, I don’t see the point in waiting.
A car costs 50x more than an iPhone and on average cars are owned for 8 years. I would consider a major refresh occurring in < 1 year to be imminent.

Agreed!

It's going to be tough selling older Y right next to New M3.

Tax credit(for MY) will help in the US. But I can't imagine how that will look elsewhere.
I believe Tesla will chop the price down and honestly the new MY will not be that radically different as compared to the M3. They will not have any difficulty selling the older MY by the time the new one comes around! MY have been selling like hotcakes.

That is the first I heard. 4680 are bigger cells and composed of LFP which is touted as superior to the old Panasonic 18650 or the 2170 cells. I can tell you that my old 2017 MS had 75 Kw of the 18650 cells and I barely got 150 Miles out of it. The new MY has 81 KW and I routinely get close to 300 miles. Big difference!
If you have an LR, you don’t have 4680s. Nor do the 4680s have LFP (which is also inferior in most respects). Do more research

If you have an LR, you don’t have 4680s. Nor do the 4680s have LFP (which is also inferior in most respects). Do more research
You may be wrong on this. This info came from Tesla Reps at the service center. 2024 MYLR are equipped with 4680 LFP Cells manufactured right in Giga Austin plant. I am not sure, but you may be using some old info. Please see the info from insideevs. It looks like you may have to update your research!
Screenshot 2024-02-12 154349.png

You may be wrong on this. This info came from Tesla Reps at the service center. 2024 MYLR are equipped with 4680 LFP Cells manufactured right in Giga Austin plant. I am not sure, but you may be using some old info. Please see the info from insideevs. It looks like you may have to update your research!View attachment 1017714
As a rule, Tesla reps are idiots.

The only teslas with 4680s thus far were the short lived MY AWD and the cybertruck. They offer significantly less energy density than the 2170s, and even less still than the 18650s in the refresh S/X. The charging rate is also drastically slower.

LFPs are only in the SR RWD 3 and Y (and even for the Y, only non US models). Prismatic cells mean they’re not any of the cylindrical formats by definition

As a rule, Tesla reps are idiots.

The only teslas with 4680s thus far were the short lived MY AWD and the cybertruck. They offer significantly less energy density than the 2170s, and even less still than the 18650s in the refresh S/X. The charging rate is also drastically slower.

LFPs are only in the SR RWD 3 and Y (and even for the Y, only non US models). Prismatic cells mean they’re not any of the cylindrical formats by definition
Please see my last post with info from Insideevs. That concludes everything.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd