Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Ys 10% off already

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think what he said conflicts with your INSIDEEVs' quote. At this moment, Telsa only uses LFP chemistry in prismatic cells, 4680 is a cylindrical cell and it is only on NCA/NCM nickel chemistry. There is no 4680 LFP cell in Tesla at this moment.
I hate to repeat again. Tesla has switched over to 4680 cell battery pack for MY manufactured at Giga Austin plant and yes they are LFP. Please see above to my previous post from insideevs that will confirm this. The info I am giving was confirmed by Tesla reps at the service center. Some people think they know better or more than people who work for Tesla. I am not disputing that but merely presenting evidence that shows who may be wrong!

I hate to repeat again. Tesla has switched over to 4680 cell battery pack for MY manufactured at Giga Austin plant and yes they are LFP. Please see above to my previous post from insideevs that will confirm this. The info I am giving was confirmed by Tesla reps at the service center. Some people think they know better or more than people who work for Tesla. I am not disputing that but merely presenting evidence that shows who may be wrong!
Maye be you should carefully read what you have quoted. It is common knowledge 4680 cells are made in Giga Texas, this has been going on for about 2 years and it's not news. If you want to prove your point, please point out in your quote where INSIDEEV has claimed Tesla 4680 Cells are LFP. I am not reading that information anywhere in your quote.

Reactions: cusetownusa

You're relying on an InsideEVs article that is nearly two years old...dated 05/23/2022 as "evidence"?:
What Batteries Are Tesla Using In Its Electric Cars?
That article says the 4680 has "undisclosed chemistry" (and an equally aged InsideEVs article from 07/17/2022 confirms NCM:
Tesla's 4680-Type Battery Cell Teardown: Specs Revealed),

As others have said, Tesla reps can be and often are mistaken.

MYRWD (only made in Austin) uses 4680 cells
MYLR and MYP (both made in both Austin and Fremont) use 2170 cells

4680 cells are not LFP, LFP cells are sourced from CATL Industries in China, and as such are no longer eligible for Federal Tax Credit. All Model Y trims are still eligible, so none are using LFP. Note that neither M3RWD nor M3LR are currently eligible for Federal Tax Credit as both use LFP cells, the assumption is that M3P will use 2170 cells, but TBD.

You are incorrect on every point.

Tesla is currently no longer producing 4680 MYs. The only 4680 MYs were the standard range AWD models which were only sold briefly. All MY LRs regardless of where they are built use 2170s. Currently the only 4680 Tesla in production is the cybertruck.

No 18650, 2170, or 4680 car uses LFP chemistry.

A car costs 50x more than an iPhone and on average cars are owned for 8 years. I would consider a major refresh occurring in < 1 year to be imminent.
But it’s not a major update…and no one knows when it will be out. Highland is a bigger deal for the Model 3 because it never got the updates that Model Y already did (giga castings, laminated glass (aside from rear windows), improved/comfort suspension, etc). The delta between the 2024 Model Y and Juniper won’t be nearly as big a jump…aside from the ventilated seats. I have to admit, those would be cool (pun intended!)

But it’s not a major update…and no one knows when it will be out. Highland is a bigger deal for the Model 3 because it never got the updates that Model Y already did (giga castings, laminated glass (aside from rear windows), improved/comfort suspension, etc). The delta between the 2024 Model Y and Juniper won’t be nearly as big a jump…aside from the ventilated seats. I have to admit, those would be cool (pun intended!)
Model 3 got the laminated glass. Model 3 suspension was always more comfortable than model Y suspension. Gigacastings are meaningless for the end user (and highland doesn't have those either anyway).

Model 3 got the laminated glass. Model 3 suspension was always more comfortable than model Y suspension. Gigacastings are meaningless for the end user (and highland doesn't have those either anyway).
You are right: it didn’t get castings and it did have laminated glass already…wrt suspension, I’ve never owned a model 3 but I demoed it quite a few times and I’ve never driven a car with more rattles though I liked how it handled.

Last edited:
The 2023s have a good discount on them. I just wish the 2024s can get on the same level. That would make me pull the trigger.
All of the 2023 inventory cars (which were also all demos) in my area are gone so now I'm left with the 2024 inventory Model Ys which seem to all have basically a 2,500 discount.

Right now I don't think it is worth buying a 2024 Model Y even with the FSD transfer. I'm waiting to see if the prices drop more. The reason I'm waiting has more to do with the current interest rates on car loans. I'm only finding at the lowest 6.5% which means I can't justify a purchase of a new Model Y where I would be taking out a 20k loan.

I did the numbers and I would be okay making a purchase if I can get a 5% interest rate loan. I think rates go down later this year but they will not do so until the summer since the inflation report came out showing it is still too high for the FED to lower rates. Either that or Tesla goes back to a 10% reduction on inventory cars --- I would then seriously consider pulling the trigger since my overall loan would be reduced.

All of the 2023 inventory cars (which were also all demos) in my area are gone so now I'm left with the 2024 inventory Model Ys which seem to all have basically a 2,500 discount.

Right now I don't think it is worth buying a 2024 Model Y even with the FSD transfer. I'm waiting to see if the prices drop more. The reason I'm waiting has more to do with the current interest rates on car loans. I'm only finding at the lowest 6.5% which means I can't justify a purchase of a new Model Y where I would be taking out a 20k loan.

I did the numbers and I would be okay making a purchase if I can get a 5% interest rate loan. I think rates go down later this year but they will not do so until the summer since the inflation report came out showing it is still too high for the FED to lower rates. Either that or Tesla goes back to a 10% reduction on inventory cars --- I would then seriously consider pulling the trigger since my overall loan would be reduced.
They had excellent choices and heavy markdown towards the end of Jan 2024. I got the color of my choice, interior for 10% off. The markdown was 5000 on a 50k car and on top of that I was able to get the 7500 off federal credit at point of sale! Those discounts basically disappeared within a week or so. I guess with Tesla you got to strike when its hot. You blink and you will miss it!

• Love
Reactions: Skavatar
They had excellent choices and heavy markdown towards the end of Jan 2024. I got the color of my choice, interior for 10% off. The markdown was 5000 on a 50k car and on top of that I was able to get the 7500 off federal credit at point of sale! Those discounts basically disappeared within a week or so. I guess with Tesla you got to strike when its hot. You blink and you will miss it!
Those discounts went away the day Tesla announced FSD/Supercharging transfer.

Basically Tesla is valuing that at about $2k ish..

For Those who are not transferring FSD. Your best bet is to wait a bit. $5k off is a new standard until Juniper upgrade.

Reactions: Skavatar

Would you have considered getting the Y if there were no rate hikes and associated price drop by Tesla? I haven’t done the math to appreciate monthly payment amount pre and post…but I’m sure Tesla did. Did you? Is your tolerance for monthly payment creeping over time? It’s a good thing you’re not in the market for a house. Otherwise you would be waiting in vain for house price drop commensurating with higher interest rate.

I'm looking at these 2 exact same inventory cars. If the bean counters at Tesla approved $42,710 for that specific build just because it was built a few weeks earlier, then what is exactly stopping them from dropping the current 2024 price of $45,590 as we creep towards the end of the quarter? It seems like the difference in the price of these exact same vehicles (other than when they were physically built) is Tesla's attempt to capture some additional profit for those that taking advantage of the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit. That's OK - they got the right thinking because buyers might be OK with that price difference after the tax credit, they will end up getting the 2024 less than the 2023. But there may be a group of individuals like myself that want the lowest listed price especially when 2 prices exist at the same moment in time for the exact same car...

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 10.03.12 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 10.03.02 AM.png

But there may be a group of individuals like myself that want the lowest listed price especially when 2 prices exist at the same moment in time for the exact same car...
It’s not the exact same car, one is a 2023 and one is a 2024, and at minimum they have a different battery.

It’s perfectly sensical and expected even to have a higher discount on the prior model year vs a 2024.

How does this different battery translate to the consumer in terms of the car's functionality?
To be determined. The battery in the 2023 actually seems likely to be the better deal as it’s a software locked long range pack from a Model 3 and charges well above the published specs. Nobody to my knowledge knows exactly what’s in these 2024s yet and how they behave (only that they are definitely physically different and use US-sourced cells to be eligible for the tax credit).

To be determined. The battery in the 2023 actually seems likely to be the better deal as it’s a software locked long range pack from a Model 3 and charges well above the published specs. Nobody to my knowledge knows exactly what’s in these 2024s yet and how they behave (only that they are definitely physically different and use US-sourced cells to be eligible for the tax credit).
So until it is determined, like I said, it is the same car in terms of features and performance other than the time it was built. There is no material difference that is accessible to the consumer at the moment. For example, I do not consider the use of a different material for the seats as a material difference to the consumer unless if it is publicized and highlighted by the manufacturer combined with the fact that the material carries a different feature than the outgoing material.