Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21 inch turbine wheel crack survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had one crack at 36,000 miles -- 21" grey turbines. Could be Northern Michigan roads, but I don't recall hitting anything that would crack a rim. Switching out to 19" with all season tires for the winter and will get this cracked one repaired in time for spring.

i think someone traced the problem to the rim being casted and not forged.
I also think Tesla changed the turbines to twin turbines and now they come forged like the arachnids.

I am curious tho, if it only applies to old turbines or if anyone in this thread has cracked the new ones.

I am also in transition to change my rims to 19's as running 21's in Los Angeles, is a quick way to give me a heart attack as the roads here are horrible.

Blew out a sidewall last May on the way to my Mom’s house the night before she passed away. Driving WAY too fast on a lousy road with bad potholes. When I went for replacement, they found a crack in the rear arachnid. Was able to find one replacement on eBay. Now they are on a newer model s, and love them, but getting a set of Signature forged 19’s similar to the ones that set the record for quarter mile.
4830560C-D14E-466A-80E6-88B5177EE72E.jpeg

I’m about to replace my 2nd 21” turbine. The first crack was unusual, the second is mind blowing. I’m really frustrated this isn’t addressed and covered by Tesla. The 1st wheel cracked at 35k miles. The 2nd at 40k miles. Normal, careful driving on Los Angeles roads.

Well, have my first crack. 152,000 km's on the car, but 1/2 of those were on my winter wheels so let's say 75,000 km or 46,000 mi. Tesla wanted $1530 CAD plus tax for a new one. I'm getting it repaired for $185 CAD.

First cracked rim in my life, but I can't say I wasn't warned.

IMG_5483.jpg

Anyone with black Arachnids noticed how easily these things chip ? Mine look awful with lots of little stone chips on them (and I only drive on local sealed roads), it's almost like they painted them with a black spray pack at the factory 😁