Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2170 vs 4680/Standard vs Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla had originally claimed a 16% improvement in range over 2170 at the pack level, that’s with all the anticipated technologies implemented.

That would put range at about 382 mi for a Model Y LR over the current 330 mi with the 2170 pack.

That requires a nearly 37% energy density improvement over the current 4680 cells….

I think it’s going to take a good while before they achieve that.
I believe 4680 is seen as the way Tesla will eventually become less dependent on outside battery sources. Initial results certainly are not bad, but likely are under expectations, enter the two different formulations. If they can't increase the power/density ratio they can still add more batteries to a point or combine the two and get great results. We havn't seen the capability of the final results yet. As I understand it, unlocking some of the battery controls in the MYAWD has potential to extend range already, but its a safety they are keeping in place to preserve the batteries apparently.

The PR wing of the other major OEMs are making it sound like the public really doesn't need or want longer range and offer base models at lower ranges, that is if they even have cars to sell. While this may be true for some, the main reason is cost savings per car if they can convince people an 'affordable' EV only needs 250 miles of range or less. Tip the number too far and in some time after degradation sets in these will not be happy customers. The Chinese market is mainly LFP batteries because they cost less to make. Tesla has gone another route and is integrating internal scaling of their own lithium Ion battery using the dry technology. If they can eventually make these batteries cheaper in higher quantities than buying them from CATL and Panasonic it's win/win, especially if the competion offers lower range EVs. Most of public first time EV buyers look at range numbers and don't understand how that all hashes out over time and in colder climates.

I believe we will see improvements in the 4680, however some of the benefit may in addition to other battery technologies. One 4680 is abot 4 times larger than a 2170, so to get the same density the 4680 needs 4 times the output. If they could add even 16% to that number, the results would be quite impressive.

Tesla had originally claimed a 16% improvement in range over 2170 at the pack level, that’s with all the anticipated technologies implemented.

That would put range at about 382 mi for a Model Y LR over the current 330 mi with the 2170 pack.

That requires a nearly 37% energy density improvement over the current 4680 cells….

I think it’s going to take a good while before they achieve that.

I suspect that one of the reasons it has taken much longer than originally anticipated to bring the CT to market is because Tesla doesn't want to bring a towing vehicle to market that has the same detriments as most of the rest of the current players when it comes to towing range. The Semi recently debuted and has significantly improved motors that provide higher efficiency and also have the ability to disengage all but one motor when at cruising speed - to significantly enhance range. We don't know much about the battery packs in the Semi - at least I haven't seen much about them published - but we know they aren't 4680 packs (Musk said as much at the Semi debut). I think we may be politely surprised when the CT comes to market - particularly the three motor model that is supposed to offer 500+ miles of range. I suspect a higher silicon 4680 battery pack will ship with that model that offers much better towing range than any current competition when combined with the new motors - but only time will tell. :cool:

Apparently the 4680 has lower energy density. Hopefully the lower cost of production is worth it for Tesla…

I suspect that one of the reasons it has taken much longer than originally anticipated to bring the CT to market is because Tesla doesn't want to bring a towing vehicle to market that has the same detriments as most of the rest of the current players when it comes to towing range. The Semi recently debuted and has significantly improved motors that provide higher efficiency and also have the ability to disengage all but one motor when at cruising speed - to significantly enhance range.
Towing is a wind resistance problem. improving energy density (bigger battery capacity at same or less weight) is the answer.

I am on the fence between the MY AWD 4680 vs LR...How is the ride /handling difference? i saw some videos where EM states structural pack should result in better handlign but wanted to see if anyone who has driven both was able to feel the difference and if that is worth being an early adapter for the new battery

O
I am on the fence between the MY AWD 4680 vs LR...How is the ride /handling difference? i saw some videos where EM states structural pack should result in better handlign but wanted to see if anyone who has driven both was able to feel the difference and if that is worth being an early adapter for the new battery
Did see a response on this for you but did you ever come to a conclusion ?

Smart. The AWD is terrible value. The LR is bad enough with range as it is.
I'm researching the AWD vs the LR and this is one difference that I've dismissed as being irrelevant. First if you charge to 80% that reduces the difference in range. Then if you account for real world factors it probably reduces your range roughly about another 70% on average depending on conditions. So you're looking at about 28-30 miles of actual difference in range. Want proof? If you route plan a trip you'll come up with the same number of required stops almost every time. The only difference is a small amount of extra time to charge the AWD. An example is on a 1400 mile trip, same amount of stops and a total of an hour of extra charging spread over 9 stops. On a 700 mile trip it is 4 stops with an extra 11 minutes of charging.

The differences that I'm trying to figure out are which battery is supposed to last longer, 4680 or 2170, and does the newer AWD come with the hairpin DU which is supposed to have a longer life due to less heat being generated. Hopefully I'm not missing any other considerations.

I'm researching the AWD vs the LR and this is one difference that I've dismissed as being irrelevant. First if you charge to 80% that reduces the difference in range. Then if you account for real world factors it probably reduces your range roughly about another 70% on average depending on conditions. So you're looking at about 28-30 miles of actual difference in range. Want proof? If you route plan a trip you'll come up with the same number of required stops almost every time. The only difference is a small amount of extra time to charge the AWD. An example is on a 1400 mile trip, same amount of stops and a total of an hour of extra charging spread over 9 stops. On a 700 mile trip it is 4 stops with an extra 11 minutes of charging.

The differences that I'm trying to figure out are which battery is supposed to last longer, 4680 or 2170, and does the newer AWD come with the hairpin DU which is supposed to have a longer life due to less heat being generated. Hopefully I'm not missing any other considerations.
The AWD charges slower and has 51 less miles of range. It's also slower 0-60. 51 miles makes a huge difference considering the car really gets around 200 miles at interstate speeds. For less than $3,000, the faster charging, range, and power is well worth it IMO.

Did you read my post? Unless you're charging to 100% the difference in range is less. Real trip planning shows very little difference in charging time and no difference in number of required stops. Local driving results in no difference in required range for almost everyone. Slower? 4.8 vs 5.0? Can you really tell a difference between the two? Are you really going to get to the next stop light any faster? Charging speed? Really, how often does that actually come into play in real life? How often do you supercharge? Need to look beyond what the numbers say on paper and realistically decide if they make a difference in everyday life.

None of these make much, if any, real life difference. Both the AWD and LR look the same inside and out. Both interiors and sound systems are the same. We've already established that range, speed and charging times certainly aren't worth the price difference under almost all circumstances. So that leaves longevity as the big question. Now if one type of DU or battery type offers better long term performance and/or lifespan then that is something significant to consider.

Did you read my post? Unless you're charging to 100% the difference in range is less. Real trip planning shows very little difference in charging time and no difference in number of required stops. Local driving results in no difference in required range for almost everyone. Slower? 4.8 vs 5.0? Can you really tell a difference between the two? Are you really going to get to the next stop light any faster? Charging speed? Really, how often does that actually come into play in real life? How often do you supercharge? Need to look beyond what the numbers say on paper and realistically decide if they make a difference in everyday life.

None of these make much, if any, real life difference. Both the AWD and LR look the same inside and out. Both interiors and sound systems are the same. We've already established that range, speed and charging times certainly aren't worth the price difference under almost all circumstances. So that leaves longevity as the big question. Now if one type of DU or battery type offers better long term performance and/or lifespan then that is something significant to consider.
You supercharge on trips exlcusively which is what we are talking about and I always charge to 100% before long trips. Again, 51 miles of range plus faster charging speeds is less time charging. If you don't plan on taking trips, that's fine, nut most would pay for more range as the MY is the worst Tesla at highway speeds.

Real world difference isn't 51 miles and it doesn't save any stops. Charging speed is what, maybe 3-4 minutes each stop, if that? Plus how many trips do you take each year? The question is, do you buy a vehicle based on what you might need it for once or twice per year or do you buy it based on what it would regularly be used for? I might need a truck a couple of times per year. Does that mean I should buy a truck instead? No, that would be unwise. The AWD isn't just less expensive to purchase, the taxes each year are less.

I was set on the LR until I put aside the hype and looked at real numbers and real world circumstances. I was amazed at how little real world difference the LR has over the AWD. It actually has no real world everyday advantage for the vast majority of people. This is why I'm focussing on which DU and battery to get. One plus for the LR is the battery is a proven design and we still don't know how the 4680 will hold up over time especially given it already isn't delivering what it was suppose to deliver. Now to be fair I don't know if it isn't delivering because it can't or if it's because it's been limited by software or design.

Real world difference isn't 51 miles and it doesn't save any stops. Charging speed is what, maybe 3-4 minutes each stop, if that? Plus how many trips do you take each year? The question is, do you buy a vehicle based on what you might need it for once or twice per year or do you buy it based on what it would regularly be used for? I might need a truck a couple of times per year. Does that mean I should buy a truck instead? No, that would be unwise. The AWD isn't just less expensive to purchase, the taxes each year are less.

I was set on the LR until I put aside the hype and looked at real numbers and real world circumstances. I was amazed at how little real world difference the LR has over the AWD. It actually has no real world everyday advantage for the vast majority of people. This is why I'm focussing on which DU and battery to get. One plus for the LR is the battery is a proven design and we still don't know how the 4680 will hold up over time especially given it already isn't delivering what it was suppose to deliver. Now to be fair I don't know if it isn't delivering because it can't or if it's because it's been limited by software or design.
I SC a lot. Basically anytime you go 130 miles away, you'll need to. It makes a big difference in reality. If that's not worth it to you, that's fine, but the biggest complaint of the MYLR is the actual real world range...most wouldn't want less of it.

The 4680, even though it's bigger, has less energy than a 2170. It's been confirmed by multiple sources, it's not software locked.

I try to take my MS on any trips as it goes almost twice as for as the MY at interstate speeds.