Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

220 volt charging problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the past 3 – 4 weeks I have been having trouble charging my year-old Model 3 on 220 volts using the mobile charger. It will charge for 10-20 minutes and then trip the breakers. I took it in to the Tesla shop and it charged fine using my mobile charger. I have 2 garages each with a 220 hook-up. It flipped and continues to flip the breakers at both places starting after a software update (the one before 2020.28.6). The car has charged without flaw for over a year at both places and still charges fine with 110 volts. Any ideas.

For the past 3 – 4 weeks I have been having trouble charging my year-old Model 3 on 220 volts using the mobile charger. It will charge for 10-20 minutes and then trip the breakers. I took it in to the Tesla shop and it charged fine using my mobile charger. I have 2 garages each with a 220 hook-up. It flipped and continues to flip the breakers at both places starting after a software update (the one before 2020.28.6). The car has charged without flaw for over a year at both places and still charges fine with 110 volts. Any ideas.
What outlet do you have? What amperage breaker is hooked up?

I think you mean 120 and 240. The 110 / 220 hasn't existed in American for decades :)
So what is the amperage size of the breakers that keep tripping? Likely just a coincidence that this is occurring after a software update. I would not think a software update causes this issue.

Did the update somehow 'reset' the car to max amps? I know mine is capable of up to 40 but I like it low on 10-15 because the breaker is only 30 and my home was built in the late 70s so not sure the condition of the wiring.

Thanks all.
I'm 78 so its still 220 ;-) both receptacles are NEMA 14-50 (I think thats the model). The breaker amps in Denver are two a 100 amps. The breaker amps in Lafayette are two at 60 amps. My car sets max amps at 32. It worked at the Tesla shop, but it still doesn't charge at 27 in my garage. That's a big coincidence that both charging sights would stop charging exactly after the update. Wiring update 5 yrs ago.

An electrician literally just left my house because the circuit would trip on plugging in my mobile connector. He swapped out the circuit breaker, and told me these things were designed before the advent of EVs, so you do run into problems sporadically after continuous high load service.

What's the temperature like in your area? What gauge wiring was used to wire in that 220 outlet? Could simply be overheating.

Curious about what the voltage drop is under charging...that will tell the story of what’s going on both in the wiring and with the supplied voltage...both of which can change under load. (The voltage and amperage will be indicated on your tesla app, under charging)

Last edited:
Thanks,
My brother (EE) said that I should probably change out the breakers--but BOTH of them. Changing them out won't be expensive. I thought of the temperature problem. It gets into the 60s at night in Denver, so I left the garage door slightly open and got the temperature down to 75. It still tripped. Wiring is heavy duty. I don't know what gauge--maybe 0-1.

Errol, are you using the mobile EVSE at your homes ?
When were the circuits and receptacles installed ?

I agree with you that seeing the problem at each 14-50 is odd but I would still replace the breakers. If that does not fix the issue, borrow a mobile EVSE from a friend.

Question for the experts: would a ground fault trip the breaker ?

After re-reading the OP’s complaint, he’s having problems at two separate locations, using the same mobile charger. Doesn’t a supercharger bypass the car’s internal inverter? That must be where the problem is residing (in the car), if it isn’t the mobile charger...
I can’t see the same problems in two locations unless it’s the car or mobile charger.

This morning I installed a new 240 volt, 100 amp breaker in my Denver house. The old one became completely unusable when I was mowing the lawn with my plug-in mower. It didn’t even trip. After installation the charge-up was quite unstable due to the fact I was sitting in the car with the air conditioner running. After I let the car shut down it stabilized. I set the charging amps at 32 with the mileage at 207. It charged up to 238 with the voltage fluctuating from 229 to 231 and the charging rate from 25 to 29 mph. I am going to set the amperage to 25 from now on if I don’t need the car to charge faster. I'll report if I have more trouble. Thanks to everyone.

This morning I installed a new 240 volt, 100 amp breaker in my Denver house. The old one became completely unusable when I was mowing the lawn with my plug-in mower. It didn’t even trip. After installation the charge-up was quite unstable due to the fact I was sitting in the car with the air conditioner running. After I let the car shut down it stabilized. I set the charging amps at 32 with the mileage at 207. It charged up to 238 with the voltage fluctuating from 229 to 231 and the charging rate from 25 to 29 mph. I am going to set the amperage to 25 from now on if I don’t need the car to charge faster. I'll report if I have more trouble. Thanks to everyone.
Just curious - why did you install a 100 amp breaker if you're using your mobile connector which maxes out at 32 amps?

A follow-up report. I charged the model 3 in Lafayette yesterday just to check the breaker. The car set the amps at 32, and the breaker didn't trip. I drove home, plugged the car in, sat in the driver's seat to adjust the amps to 25 and WHOA the amps were set at 25. The car is smarter than I am. Who are the guys that keep designing this car. I haven't named my car, but I think "Murgatroid" would be appropriate. She sure is smart.

Reactions: Phlier