Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

220V adapter for Airbnb - would that be helpful?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well.....the Audi e-tron, e-tron Sportback, and Volvo XC40 electric all come with a NEMA 14-50 plug, as standard equipment. I just test drove them yesterday, and they all come with the charge kit.
Re: XC40: Volvo’s first EV is stuck at cargo ports waiting for a software update is delayed for the US right now.

FINAL UPDATE: Quarterly Plug-In EV Sales Scorecard is a list of EVs/PHEVs sold in the US for calendar year 2019. Off the top of my head, I'd estimate that at least 50 to 75% off the models there do NOT come with an L1/L2 EVSE which can be plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet. For some, maybe there's an optional adapter (e.g. Teslas) and for some, there's an unofficial and unsupported method (2017 to 2021 Bolts).

And, for some, it varies by model/equipment level. Example: Not all 2018+ Leafs come with a L1/L2 NEMA 5-15/NEMA 14-50 EVSE. And, 2011 to 2017 US market ONLY come with an L1 120 volt NEMA 5-15 EVSE, just like ALL 2017 to 2021 Bolts.

If you want to go by unit sales in the US, for calendar year 2020, I'd say it's likely 75+% do NOT come with an L1/L2 EVSE which can be plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet since Tesla dominates followed by Prius Prime and Bolt.
However - if the receptacle is a 14-50 (OP hasn't identified it other than it's "220 volt"), They would be better off buying a plug in EVSE J1772. It fits everything.
Yep. Or, they can just hardwire a J1772 L2 EVSE.

Last edited:
Clipper Creek also offers budget options through a brand called Amazing E. They have a 16 amp EVSE with a NEMA 14-30 plug for $329 ... I have a friend with one and it's very high quality. Charge speed won't be great at 16 amps vs 20 or 24, but it should be sufficient for most overnight guests. Tesla owners with their own 14-30 adapter could unplug the Amazing E and get the full 24 amp charge rate with their own mobile connector.

Home EV Charging Station, Level 2, 240 Volt, 16 Amp or 32 Amp
I recently installed the 32 amp hardwired version of the Amazing E for our Pacifica PHEV. I'm quite pleased with the quality for the price.

I recently installed the 32 amp hardwired version of the Amazing E for our Pacifica PHEV. I'm quite pleased with the quality for the price.
And, I'm guessing that Pacifica PHEV didn't come with a L1/L2 EVSE that could plug into NEMA 5-15 and 14-50, right?

Funny enough, there was another thread on this before and someone else at Adding a charger into an AirBnB also seconded what I said.

If I had the 14-50 setup, would that only be advantageous to Tesla owners but not other electric vehicle owners?

How would I figure how much that will add to my utility bill? Wondering if that's an expense to absorb or if I raise my prices.

I just had a guest recommend I offer it since there are so few options in my town.

It is generally absorbed by the host. A Tesla battery is 50-75 kWh and you can expect that they will arrive with the battery completely depleted and leave with it charged.

However, you can probably rely on them not needing much more than that if they stay for multiple nights, so the $3-$7 cost is split between all the nights.

It is up to you whether you can increase your prices and still get the same number of customers, or whether you will get more customers at a lower price.

BNBStudio - I would put a picture of your garage outlet in your listing so people know what's there along with pictures of your Tesla Gan1 and Gan2 adaptors. As far as adding to your electric bill, you won't know unless you meter that outlet which is expensive. I'd just rent the Tesla adaptors for $5 or so per day or charge $5 more per day for those with electric cars ad access to the garage.
Alternatively you may be able to access your house meter's usage from a utility web portal and look at the loads. When you see a step increase in kW of 240 V X 30 A X 0.8 = 5.8 kW or 5.8 kWh per hour then you know someone started charging. When it drops off in a few hours you know they have stopped. Then take how many hours times 5.8 and that's about how many kWh they used.

I've had two different people ask me in the past week what kind of EV charging they should supply at their AirBnB. And this was in Arkansas of all places. Was there some recent push from AirBnB Corp telling property owners that adding this service would improve their revenue?

Anyway, I told each of them that to be the most universal and cost effective would be to supply a 50 amp circuit with a NEMA 14-50 outlet. That would be the lowest cost to the property owner, and any traveling EV owner could (and should) bring their own equipment. Just be absolutely sure to include a picture and description of the installation.

I also said Tesla and others sell dedicated equipment, the same that is at hotels, but that would cost them another $500 minimum just in hardware and it wouldn't be usable for other things if they needed that outlet for something else in the future.

Is this still good advice? If you were traveling to an AirBnB would a NEMA 14-50 work for you? Would you be swayed between a property with an outlet versus a property with a Tesla Wall Connector?

I've had two different people ask me in the past week what kind of EV charging they should supply at their AirBnB. And this was in Arkansas of all places. Was there some recent push from AirBnB Corp telling property owners that adding this service would improve their revenue?

Anyway, I told each of them that to be the most universal and cost effective would be to supply a 50 amp circuit with a NEMA 14-50 outlet. That would be the lowest cost to the property owner, and any traveling EV owner could (and should) bring their own equipment. Just be absolutely sure to include a picture and description of the installation.

I also said Tesla and others sell dedicated equipment, the same that is at hotels, but that would cost them another $500 minimum just in hardware and it wouldn't be usable for other things if they needed that outlet for something else in the future.

Is this still good advice? If you were traveling to an AirBnB would a NEMA 14-50 work for you? Would you be swayed between a property with an outlet versus a property with a Tesla Wall Connector?

I actually think the true universal option is any flavor of J1772 EVSE.

Not quite as cost effective as a 14-50, but really the only universal option available - every Tesla comes with a J1772 adapter. And every other EV or PHEV on the road in North America uses J1772 by default. This is what I’d do, and recommend, even at a few hundred dollars more cost.

The whole plug/adapter/dongle mess is in no way standard across EVs and while motivated people will seek out what they need and carry the right kit, as a host I’d want to keep it as simple and straightforward as possible.

I've had two different people ask me in the past week what kind of EV charging they should supply at their AirBnB. And this was in Arkansas of all places.
at our Airbnb (in Arkansas!), we opted for a Tesla wall connector on the basis that Tesla has 80% market share, and we were installing for ourselves too. We also make available a 14-50 outlet. We tried signing up as a destination charger and also for the commercial charging program but never received a reply From Tesla.

like others, I advise listing on Plugshare, but I have no evidence that it matters. We have not yet had a guest with an EV. Here are our listings:
Our Airbnb listing

at our Airbnb (in Arkansas!), we opted for a Tesla wall connector on the basis that Tesla has 80% market share, and we were installing for ourselves too. We also make available a 14-50 outlet. We tried signing up as a destination charger and also for the commercial charging program but never received a reply From Tesla.

like others, I advise listing on Plugshare, but I have no evidence that it matters. We have not yet had a guest with an EV. Here are our listings:
Our Airbnb listing

In 30+ years traveling through Texarkana I've never needed accommodations, but if I ever do I will now be staying with you! I definitely seek out BnB listings on PlugShare. That is my first choice and finding BnBs with EV options are exceedingly limited.

This is all very helpful - we are closing this week on a vacation home, which will be marketed as a short term rental in all the usual places. One of the first things I'm doing is having a 14-50R installed, and once we have the place a little more shipshape I'll add a J1772 EVSE.

When traveling we definitely seek out AirBnBs / hotels with readily apparent charging options, even if it's just spotting through the listing that the laundry room has a window through which I can snake an extension to the dryer outlet. On trips I carry adapters for 5-15, 5-20, TT-30, 14-30, 14-50, 6-15 and 10-30, plus a couple of heavy duty extension cords. Probably overkill; I've never needed the TT-30 or 6-15. The others have come in handy though.