Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

221 Rated Miles - 60D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt that Tesla are turning off any part of the 75KWh battery when it is in 60KWh mode. All they will do is limit the charge voltage to 3.9 volts per cell (max voltage of 4.2V, minimum assumed at 2.8V) to get the 20% capacity reduction. Leaving certain cells dormant would never work with longevity.

Yeah it wouldn't make much sense for them to suddenly deviate from how they've historically done it. And I believe with the original software limited 40kwh cars you were always encouraged to charge to 100%.

Yeah but my DS told me 90% is the safety point, per Tesla engineers, so I don't know what the hell to think and just play it safe :/
Well playing it safe will never hurt you but I will say this. The people on this board are so much smarter and better informed than the Tesla employees you interact with.
The people here are passionate and doing this because they want to, not to because it's a job that pays the bills.
I was so far ahead of my DS while my car was in pre-production. I knew a facelift was coming, he didn't. I knew a 75 kWh battery was on the horizon, he didn't.
Obviously if 90% meets your needs then great, but if anyone really needed to be at 100% daily with a 60 they would be in good shape.

Reactions: Mr So Chill
Well playing it safe will never hurt you but I will say this. The people on this board are so much smarter and better informed than the Tesla employees you interact with.
The people here are passionate and doing this because they want to, not to because it's a job that pays the bills.
I was so far ahead of my DS while my car was in pre-production. I knew a facelift was coming, he didn't. I knew a 75 kWh battery was on the horizon, he didn't.
Obviously if 90% meets your needs then great, but if anyone really needed to be at 100% daily with a 60 they would be in good shape.

You may be right but I would be careful what you assume since someone divulging information could lose their job. There is no incentive for them to divulge confidential information to customers.

I doubt that Tesla are turning off any part of the 75KWh battery when it is in 60KWh mode. All they will do is limit the charge voltage to 3.9 volts per cell (max voltage of 4.2V, minimum assumed at 2.8V) to get the 20% capacity reduction. Leaving certain cells dormant would never work with longevity.
I have been pondering this exact question - Do they shut off some of the cells to achieve a 60 from a 75 pack? do they operate every cell, just let the cells loaf most of the time (only 80% charge). If all cells are bing used, and only being restricted at max charge, then those cells should last much longer...and provide a bit of a "reserve" when running at the bottom end (can I make it to the next charger I only have 10 miles on the tank?).
So - how certain are you that all cells are being used, just limited to the amount of charge allowed to be stored (3.9 volts per cell)

People are so funny. When it drops to 217, they wail and cry that their battery is melting into a little puddle of electrons on the floor. Get a reading of 221 and suddenly they are so lucky and their car will last forever.

It's a calculation based on an inaccurate reading of battery capacity, reduced by another calculation to get the 60kWh battery up over a 200 mile rated range. Nothing accurate or telling about battery health here. Cold weather (and not very cold, even) tends to give lower 100% numbers, and when the weather is perfect (for a battery), it will calculate out a little higher than the stated rated range.

But they are all just calculations.