Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$235 TSLA - BUY BUY BUY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the interesting things that keeps my confidence in my TSLA is the institutions (no matter how much they downgrade) ALWAYS want Tesla to borrow money from them or do an equity raise. That tells me the institutions don't see Tesla going bankrupt and probably believe the company has a better than not chance of doing well.

And of course the price has to get under $143 before I get the slightest bit of worried.

Is this not because the banks earn about 5-10% in commission on each share raise? So $100m on a $2bn new share issue, and sometimes these are shared between a few investment banks, a lead and a 2nd or more. They also get first dibs on buying the new shares which may be offered at a discount to the retail price. Don't know if they have lock-ins.

• Informative
Reactions: bdy0627 and neroden
One analyst described it as "one of the worst quarters he'd seen in tech history" - yet the share price was flat in after hours trading!! Others said "Elon imagines sales will magically arrive in the end of the year" paraphrasing Wall Street analysts.
Some numbers.
They lost $702m last quarter. Meanwhile Ford, same valuation, but 20x as many sales, and pays a 5% dividend made billions in profit.
They were nearly bankrupt (10 days from Q end they had only sold $2.2bn of their $4.4bn revenue, and ended Q1 with $2.2bn - so in theory they were at $0 in the bank at some point 10 days from Q1 end.
Elon spoke about possible dilution to raise capital - Wall Street expects a $2.5bn capital raise.
They've been range-bound trading in a $250-380 trading range for 2 years - always bouncing off low $250s, and have JUST fallen through it! Any chartist would tell you they're falling to the previous range, which is about $180.
Solar deployment fell 15-20%
Storage deployment were flat.
Their main battery supplier (Panasonic) is losing money and for some reason won't increase production!
So no, I think it's a terrible time to buy.
On the plus side the automony bit was an amazing presentation (and a damage limitation exercise given the horrendous Q1 numbers!), and Lyft and Uber have bonkers valuations of $80bn - so maybe! But then don't expect FSD level 5 to arrive in "Elon time" - think 5 years for legislation.

this was where I read about "Elon's belief in sales magically returning"
Tesla’s earnings were a ‘debacle,’ says longtime bull in scorching commentary

But I think Tesla is a disruptor, and have a lot of belief. The FSD presentation was definitely eye-opening. When they showed how the computer could allegedly distinguish between a bike strapped to the back of a car, and a bike and a car. I just doubt legislation will allow FSD / level 5 withing 5 years - except in restricted routes, and a city taxi service (where the money is) is the most complicated vs highway. And if you can't do city and rural roads then the robotaxi concept falls apart completely.

Reactions: bdy0627
I wonder how many investors own a Tesla. There's all the talk, and
then there's driving one. Say in stop and go traffic and letting it do
all the work. Or driving in Navigate on Autopilot through a maze of
freeways without intervention. Frankly, for me, whether level 5 is
5 years out or 10 is immaterial. I have a very useful car right now.
By far, by far, the best and most engaging car I've ever had. At
some point that user experience will hopefully reach "the masses".

How much of your total savings are you folks willing to put in at 180-200?
Sorry misread - what percentage of investment assets at the stock price range of 180-200. I am at 4% on my cost basis and thinking of going up to 7-8%. This is a speculative position but analysts are usually wrong imho and think the data Tesla has is a treasure trove in a few years just like they said about AAPL and AMZN in the past

Mr Musk must be prepping something to turn the outlook around, as
he's not even out on the cable news networks to deal with all the BS.

Like the fact that ~ 20,000 people manually drive themselves to the
graveyard every 6 months, yet when 1 or 2 Teslas crash it's all about
"Tesla kills". The NOA is demonstrably already safer than a human
driver, he built a whole car company, he delivered on the $35k basic
M3, yet what we hear loudest is an avalanche of negative 'reporting'
that's sowing FUD.

Most of us who drive e.g. a Model 3 every day in Navigate on Auto-
pilot, and keep seeing better and better performance with each over
the air update, know that it's a gradual refinement. IMHO too much
is made of "full self driving" as a specific endpoint. By the time most
cars operate autonomously there will be more electric computerized
vehicles on the road and the conditions will be different. I don't have
any doubt that this is coming. The investor's main question might be
whether Tesla will continue to be ahead of the pack . FWIW, I think so.

Reactions: BBone
OMG, I'm not sure what's going on with the tsla stock but I'm buying as much as I can. This is Christmas in April :)

If $235 in April was Christmas, and we’re now at $190 almost in May....what would you call “better than Christmas?” I wonder what June will bring us then?

This is just a rhetorical question, but can two almost diametrically opposed SP levels, a 5-year high and a 5-year low just within the past 5 months, both be considered a “Christmas” gift?

If $235 in April was Christmas, and we’re now at $190 almost in May....what would you call “better than Christmas?” I wonder what June will bring us then?

This is just a rhetorical question, but can two almost diametrically opposed SP levels, a 5-year high and a 5-year low just within the past 5 months, both be considered a “Christmas” gift?

It depends if you are trying to sell your stocks or buy more stocks. If you want to buy then this is a great time. Personally I want to buy as much as I can right now and I'm willing to ride out the storm.

If you need to sell your stocks now; well Santa just put bunch of coal in your stocking.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and BBone
It depends if you are trying to sell your stocks or buy more stocks. If you want to buy then this is a great time. Personally I want to buy as much as I can right now and I'm willing to ride out the storm.

If you need to sell your stocks now; well Santa just put bunch of coal in your stocking.

For sure.
Unfortunately, it sounds like some longs have held steadfast through all those ups and downs, so it can't really be Christmas both ways.

This is definitely pre-Christmas for me as I sold out when the whole Musk take private incident occurred and (unfortunately) put half the funds back in averaging into $240-$250's. So, still have half the cash left, but don't think we've reached bottom yet.

• Informative
Reactions: bdy0627 and neroden
How much of your total savings are you folks willing to put in at 180-200?

I have a separate savings I put aside to purchase my Tesla (see signature). And I deposit about 500$ into said savings each paycheck, though if I squeeze I can make it $1k. I have invested all of it into TSLA. My current position is that I can easily wash my hands of that savings without it affecting my day to day life, and I am quasi-forced to wait to purchase a Tesla, so I can't be swayed into cashing in the stocks early at a clear loss.

I'm very bullish on TSLA, and feel by the time I will be back State side and able to purchase one, the stocks will at least be floating about $300. So I'm buying as much as I can while it's low!

If the stocks don't jump back by the time I return state side, then I will keep them, and find another means to make the TSLA purchase. Probably by buying an older, 75D or 85D, which wouldn't require a deposit from me.

• Love
Reactions: BBone
For sure.
Unfortunately, it sounds like some longs have held steadfast through all those ups and downs, so it can't really be Christmas both ways.

This is definitely pre-Christmas for me as I sold out when the whole Musk take private incident occurred and (unfortunately) put half the funds back in averaging into $240-$250's. So, still have half the cash left, but don't think we've reached bottom yet.

Way to go. Buy low, sell high. Sounds like you have it figured out. When it's the scariest that's when you buy, that's when you get the best deals.

All I can say is BWAHAHAHAHA. Tesla is now at $192

I guess it depends on what peoples goals are. I want to buy as much of Tesla stock as possible so I'm buying now. It's better to buy at $292 than when it's $360. If you don't get emotional about it and you can wait out the storm you will come out ahead in the long run.

I just saw a piece on Japanese TV about EVs, including a startup that
is producing tiny 4-seaters in Thailand, where roads are very narrow
and flooding is a constant problem. The car not only floats, it's actually
propelled in the water. Better than keeping a rowboat in the shed with
all the flooding we're seeing.

At the auto trade shows in Asia it's all about EVs. We don't see it clearly
in the US, with all those advertised SUVs and trucks $ucking petrol, but
the EV trend world-wide is huge. Musk has been right on so many things.