Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

24 Hours at 100% Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any thoughts about how bad it is for the battery to stay at 100% charge for a day or so?

I asked the service center to look at my declining rated range while it was in, and I noticed with the remote app that they charged it to 100% to verify and then let it sit there for over 24 hours.

I emailed them my concern and they said it wouldn't hurt the battery and promptly turned off my remote access. :)

Perhaps I shouldn't be worried, but I've deliberately only range charged occasionally (typically only 65% daily), and never left it at 100% more than about 15 minutes, so I was kind of freaked out to see it at 100% for more than 24 hours now...

- Dave

I'm not sure if anyone knows for sure but wouldn't stress over it too much. I'm sure it's not ideal and it's something you don't want to do on a daily or weekly basis but once during your ownership shouldn't be a big deal. Tesla doesn't actually allow you to charge the individual cels up to 100% anyway to offer some level of protection.

I've forgotten to take mine off of range charge before and charged it to 100%. It's happened more times than I care to admit, like if I force it to start charging just before I leave, using the phone app, then that night forget to reset the charge limit. So far after a year I haven't lost any range...it didn't sit for 24 hours, but at least 14 or so.

Me, I wouldn't worry about it, not even a little. 100% charge isn't a kiss of death and 24 hours is a short period. It might even be healthy in the sense that your battery pack gets balanced. I wouldn't want to keep a 100% charge for a week or a month, but a couple days is no big deal.

I find it interesting that some owners time their charge schedule to the minute so the car never sits at 100% for more than a nanosecond. Me, I just range charge the night before when I need it and let it sit for however many hours. (yes, hours!) FWIW, I'm at 14k miles and got 257 miles on a 100% charge this week. I usually charge to 75%.

It's a car, not a time bomb.

As long as it's not sitting at 100% out in 100F heat for days on end, I wouldn't worry about it. Degradation is a chemical process, which means it's slowed by cooler temperatures. Looks like it's been between 40F and 60F there in Cincinnati, so you have nothing to worry about.

it sounds like they are trying a balancing technique to improve range...I believe they can pull the data and see how out of balance the battery is.. So, if you think about it, 100% state of charge isn't really 100% b/c it's actually out of balance.

Note that there are threads on this forum that cover scientific research (actually ad nauseum) about LI battery longevity, and how that relates to charge strategies.

Suffice it to say, that they've found by controlling/capping a max charge significantly below true 100% (there's a formula for it), they can easily get battery lifetimes exceeding 10 years. Meaning that Tesla never actually let's you get near the real battery max. So max on the gauge, and max at the battery are two very different things.

24 hours in cool climate, with how Tesla manages the battery system... nothing to fear.

Last edited:
Me, I wouldn't worry about it, not even a little. 100% charge isn't a kiss of death and 24 hours is a short period. It might even be healthy in the sense that your battery pack gets balanced. I wouldn't want to keep a 100% charge for a week or a month, but a couple days is no big deal.

I find it interesting that some owners time their charge schedule to the minute so the car never sits at 100% for more than a nanosecond. Me, I just range charge the night before when I need it and let it sit for however many hours. (yes, hours!) FWIW, I'm at 14k miles and got 257 miles on a 100% charge this week. I usually charge to 75%.

It's a car, not a time bomb.

Thats interesting,

for the amount of time i've owned my car (12 weeks or so), I've ranged charged to 100% every time I can.

I have almost 19000mi on the odo, and I get about 269-270mi at 100%.

I have an A battery if it makes any diff (P01966)

Thats interesting,

for the amount of time i've owned my car (12 weeks or so), I've ranged charged to 100% every time I can.

I have almost 19000mi on the odo, and I get about 269-270mi at 100%.

I have an A battery if it makes any diff (P01966)

Wow. 19,000 miles already? Impressive. Sounds like you do need 100% each day but if there are days you don't that might be best.

Last edited:
Wow. 19,000 miles already? Impressive. Sounds like you so need 100% each day but if there are days you don't that might be best.

haha yeah, all those trips to vegas and not having a job.

Also worked it out, the 9000 mi that i've driven, i've saved more than $2500 in gas :)

As of yesterday I changed it to 80%, i think (its 2 notches down on the battery), got 219mi the other day (80%).

Below 25C/77F, charging to 100% is almost completely harmless. The fanatics can care if they want to, but I certainly wouldn't. I would charge to 100% as frequently and for as long as I find convenient.

If there was a heat wave with 40C/104F, however, I would try to avoid leaving the car at more than 80% for more than an hour or two.

I was somewhat concerned about my total range at range charge so the Tesla ranger told me to charge multiple days in row to 100% and leave the car standing at 100% for as long as possible to allow the battery to truly balance itself. I gained from 496km to 505.5km of range doing that for 3 days, now that we got hit by a heat wave I dialed it down to 80% again and he's checking remotely if they can get it even higher (I do actually use my full range occasionally, I think I've ended up at my destination with Charge Now at least four times if not more and I've only owned the car six months). And as there are no superchargers in this neck of the woods I do need the range so trying to get rid of some imbalance that tends to happen if you don't daily charge to Teslas 100%.

Also prior to 5.9 if you put the car to scheduled charge and it was more than 18h to your set time it would consider the previous time and start charging immediately. So I accidentally range charged a few times and then the car sat with that for 18h-24h. Only gave me more range in the process ;)