Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

250wh per pile to get performance rated range of 315 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For that the EPA's highway test cycle should give you a good gauge. The window sticker shows city test and highway test separately. The 'rated range' number is a combination of both. Not ideal, but again, making the EPA a simple 70 constant speed test would not fix that issue. Regen braking adds between 6 and 20% of range. It's one of the key advantaged of an EV,. That would be completely dismissed in a constant speed test.
Regen subtracts range when compared to a fixed constant speed. Regen is MUCH more efficient than friction braking but Regen is ever so slightly less efficient than coasting in certain situations.

Your lifetime wh is closer to mine, I’m guessing it use to be 270-280 but since you changed tires your lifetime wh have come down to 260
My lifetime average was 264 wh/mi before I got the Hankook tires. It immediately started dropping after that.
IMG_1809.jpeg

It was kinda windy I’m not sure what the exact wind speed was though

It’s 20 inch summer tires, so if I get some 20 inch all season I should see some improvement?

If I could get 250wh while going 60 mph with the AC on I would be happy with that

What psi do people in here usually fill the 20 inch tires to
Switching to All Season tires will have some but very little effect. It is the width of the tire that is the major problem.

Wind speed and direction play a big role as the wind resistance horsepower demand is exponential with speed. Rolling resistance is linear.

Switching to All Season tires will have some but very little effect. It is the width of the tire that is the major problem.

Wind speed and direction play a big role as the wind resistance horsepower demand is exponential with speed. Rolling resistance is linear.
I disagree completely on your first paragraph. These Hankook iON EVO AS tires make a MASSIVE difference. Their 6% gain claims are honestly pessimistic if you are switching from summer to all season tires.

I have done controlled testing with all of the tires I have tried and these Hankook tires were 18% more efficient than the stock 20” summer tires and at least 6% more efficient than the 18” summer tires I had before.

I can easily exceed the EPA numbers with a 60 mph average speed now. I probably wouldn’t go below the EPA numbers until a 65+ mph average speed.

I have literally done a 283 mile trip with 16 miles left without charging in a 2022 Model 3 Performance. That wasn’t even with the Hankook tires either. I think I could easily exceed 300 miles now and that is with 10%+ degradation.

Speed is all that matters. If you are doing 80+ mph you are going to have terrible efficiency. If you are doing 60 mph or less then you will match or exceed the EPA numbers with the right wheels and tires.

The issue is that the EPA test isn’t representative of real world driving styles in most of the country.

IMG_1830.jpeg

I disagree completely on your first paragraph. These Hankook iON EVO AS tires make a MASSIVE difference. Their 6% gain claims are honestly pessimistic if you are switching from summer to all season tires.

I have done controlled testing with all of the tires I have tried and these Hankook tires were 18% more efficient than the stock 20” summer tires and at least 6% more efficient than the 18” summer tires I had before.

I can easily exceed the EPA numbers with a 60 mph average speed now. I probably wouldn’t go below the EPA numbers until a 65+ mph average speed.

I have literally done a 283 mile trip with 16 miles left without charging in a 2022 Model 3 Performance. That wasn’t even with the Hankook tires either. I think I could easily exceed 300 miles now and that is with 10%+ degradation.

Speed is all that matters. If you are doing 80+ mph you are going to have terrible efficiency. If you are doing 60 mph or less then you will match or exceed the EPA numbers with the right wheels and tires.

The issue is that the EPA test isn’t representative of real world driving styles in most of the country.

View attachment 1013568
What cold psi do you put your all seasons at

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Even the window sticker only has the so-call "MPGe" rating. Even if you convert that to wh/mi
Yeah these include charging losses so it won’t work.

As you say it will be optimistic anyway but just scale the range by ratio highway MPGe / average MPGe. Not quite right since it is a 55:45 weighted average for overall MPGe but close enough (could adjust the calculation for that of course but it will still be optimistic so who cares).

Anyway as has been suggested EPA should ADD a constant-speed highway range test. Keep all the rest of the tests and the average efficiency just replace range number with the highway range result. That way best of both worlds. Around-town efficiency is still important and incentivized.

Or something like that.

I calculated that I think I need to achieve 250 wh a mile to get a range of 315 miles

I tried to do this on recent 60 mile trip, no matter what I did I couldn’t get the wh per mile under 270, that’s the lowest I could get even when going 50-55 mph and no AC

What can I do to get it to 250wh so I can get the rated range?
It would help to state the year, model, configuration and drive profile (chill ...) of your car.

The lifetime Wh/m of my 2022 MSLR with 16,000 miles driven in 98% chill mode, Pirelli P Zero at 42PSI, 35% hwy at 70mph or lower is 229 Wh/m.

So the tires get up to like 50 psi when they are hot? What’s the max they can handle?
These Hankooks don’t seem to vary much at all. With the summer tires I have tried as much as 50 psi. I wouldn’t recommend doing that though. Tires are rated up to that but it doesn’t work well at all. The recommended tire pressure is the correct tire pressure for the streets. That is what I use.

Tesla doesn’t list these separately on their website. Where would I even find these? I’m curious now what Teslas highway range is…
3 seconds of google

That prediction isn’t epa range. It’s what the car actually expects you to get. That’s usually actually pretty accurate, but you’ll never get a prediction that matches epa estimates.
Look at the screen shot again. On the top right it is set to 'Rated'. It shows your energy consumption on your current drive compared to rated range. It is different from the current trip estimate.

Reactions: Mr. Nuke