TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

$2K aftermarket mod to turn AWD to P (0-60 in 3.1)

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by JPELKA, May 5, 2020.

1. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

The DMCA is the most relevant law here... and it's less what a court ruled and more what the Librarian of Congress says every 3 years.

DMCA says every 3 year they have to issue (or extend for another 3) any exceptions to the law...

The exception they've been offering for almost a decade now relevant to jailbreak is that the jailbreaking of smartphones is legal "where circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of enabling interoperability of [lawfully obtained software] applications with computer programs on the telephone handset."

They've extended that to tablets and other similar devices since the original ruling.

But more relevant would be-

If what they're doing was writing their own control code to make the car faster this would probably be ok as "lawful modification"

If what they're doing is providing a hack they gives your car unpaid-to-tesla access to the existing Boost or P code, possibly not so legal especially if/when Tesla encrypts the canbus content.

That is not quite the case... you can't legally "void" a new car warranty other than for a salvage title on the car.

You can deny coverage for any issue specifically caused by an aftermarket part, but anything related to aftermarket parts must remain covered by the manufacturer.

So for example if you put aftermarket coilovers on the car and some other part of the suspension fails they can reasonably blame the coilovers for- no coverage for that. But they still have to fix your radio if it stops working.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
  2. SlimJim

SlimJim Member

Tesla is simply out of the automotive league. All on its own level. Amazing.

• Love x 1
  3. TwoK4drSi

TwoK4drSi Member

It’s absolutely HILARIOUS about all those people who thought they were smarter than Tesla trying to save a few bucks. Uh hello....your car is a 24/7 connected smart car. It’s not a dumb ice car where you only go in for service and reflash back to stock. And these people thought they were smarter than us fools for paying for the tesla boost. Who’s the fool now? Lmao.

• Love x 1
  4. Michelle_eriw

Michelle_eriw Member

And then there are those of us who will save two grand by not getting the performance boost because 4.4 seconds 0-60 and 145 MPH top speed are more than fast enough.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  5. DrtyJrze

DrtyJrze Member

The funniest thing about this whole thread is that literally from the very first response it was said this was going to happen.

I don’t feel bad for anyone who got that mod and gets handicapped by Tesla. Penny wise, pound foolish.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  6. TwoK4drSi

TwoK4drSi Member

Lmao....Then why are you even in here? Must Be itching real real bad eh. Us that have bought it know the juice is worth the squeeze.

• Like x 2
  7. lotusland

lotusland Member

Highly entertaining!

8. SlimJim

SlimJim Member

Mimicing on the road.

9. Dreamthugg23

Dreamthugg23 New Member

Info on your network? thank you for your time.

• Funny x 1
  10. MagnusMako

MagnusMako Member

#650 MagnusMako, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    I now have this mod. Everything turned out great and the car is performing flawlessly.

A few nice things:

- Ingenext now offers this as a DIY kit so no bringing it to EG (though I love them) - I did this all from my garage at home.
    - It requires a laptop with internet access and you'll need to coordinate with Ingenext so they can remotely program it while their module is hooked up.
    - It took over an hour. Getting the Tesla harness out of the MCU takes some dexterity and flexibility. Otherwise, very straightforward.
    - You can revert back to stock if needed.
    - Ingenext will provide 2 free updates (meaning Tesla software updates) and $75 per update thereafter - granted they can get around / work alongside them.
    - Did a few Dragy runs afterwards. Validated time is below and up on Dragy Leaderboards as well.

Screenshot_20201013-211020.png

Cheers from a satisfied customer.

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 4
  11. Hybrid_GHOST

Hybrid_GHOST Member

Yeeessss... keep us updated! I would love this I just would hate to ruin my warranty over it. *dilemma*

12. TwoK4drSi

TwoK4drSi Member

So first and foremost...congrats on being the first. I’ve always knew you could do this remotely and there’s no “hardware” persay to install. Maybe they mean the dongle that they send you but other than that...the car hardware is exactly the same as we all predicted.

Since you are the first can you report back with a couple of items. I’m sure it would benefit most of us to know

1. how is energy consumption during normal driving? Same or more?
    2. Can you skip Tesla updates for like a year and then update? Or do you physically have to do every update one on top of another in the order of the release? I’d assume you have to update the car before the next update is released.
    3. Do you have a performance friend you can race “in Mexico” to see if the power level is the same or more than the performance. OBDII would be best if you can access it.

I know you just got it but I think doing this remotely might be worth it.

• Like x 1
  13. Candleflame

Candleflame Active Member

how does the increased power feel, is it all that noticeable?

14. TyH2009

TyH2009 Member

Interesting, phew that's fast.

15. dfwatt

dfwatt Active Member

#655 dfwatt, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    That is a seriously quick time. Like the quickest time I've ever seen on draggy or close to it. Have you lightened your car? Are you running 18 inch wheels? Have you done anything else to achieve such an amazing time?

If not, your time raises some interesting questions about whether or not they've actually done something to improve the inverter code or whether they simply just unlocked performance level inverter function

16. P-Lo801

P-Lo801 Member

After reading through most of this thread, i'm confused about a couple of things. First, it appears that Tesla has been able to detect this already. Yet, the company still seems to be improving upon their product. Does this prove these software "unlocks" are becoming more Tesla-detection-proof over time?

Have there been any reports back from those who got the error message from their car indicating the detection of the software mod? What's happened with their cars since then?

Did they just release this "ghost" unlock that upgrades the early AWD with 980 motors to P3 level? I see that they'll also be able to "clone" future updates from Tesla. So, I take it that this is a complete gamble for those who purchase it with regard to giving up the warranty on their cars?

17. phantasms

phantasms Supporting Member

Time to race your boss Mako. ;)

18. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

There are 2 different mods.

The one that basically gives you the acceleration boost for like $1100 is the one Tesla easily detected despite the maker claiming it was undetectable.

The car remains on the tesla network, and gets normal updates, and so it'll be simple enough for Tesla to know you have it at any time they wish to know.

The ghost upgrade that Mako just got is NOT that.

It's the one you used to have to physically go to EG to get- but can now do yourself with a laptop and you doing the wiring install... and it turns the car into a P (minus track mode, subbing in their nanny defeat software instead). It's $2300, and takes your car OFF the Tesla network so you don't get updates (other than through the maker, and for a fee each time after the first 2) and your car isn't sending data back to Tesla at all.

If you ever need service you can remove the mod- though I'm unclear if doing so lets you get back on the Tesla network (and if there'd be logged data on the car that'd make it obvious you had the mod on there- I would expect so unless they're somehow deleting the logs as part of the removal back to stock process)

• Informative x 1
  19. P-Lo801

P-Lo801 Member

Is it safe to assume that if my car's build date was January 2019, that I have the 980 motor?

20. TwoK4drSi

TwoK4drSi Member

The question now is that if you’re “off” the the network...do they know you’re “off” the network.