Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2k to configure now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for those of you waiting in line. Would you pay $2k to configure now and take delivery in 4 weeks?

I only ask because I am debating paying someone $2k to configure his reservation now. No need for us to chat about the logistics of the deal, we’ve worked that out already. I’m just deciding if my patience is worth that price. My window is Mar-May.

Plenty of people pay over sticker price for popular cars to get them early. IMO, If you can afford it, then I don't see anything wrong about it.

May be you can sell your reservation later to somebody else for $1k and get some of your $ back.

Examples: Civic Type R, Focus RS, GT4

Question for those of you waiting in line. Would you pay $2k to configure now and take delivery in 4 weeks?

I only ask because I am debating paying someone $2k to configure his reservation now. No need for us to chat about the logistics of the deal, we’ve worked that out already. I’m just deciding if my patience is worth that price. My window is Mar-May.

Sounds like only a decision you can make. If it were me, yes, it's worth it, but I have a delivery time much longer than yours. As you said, you already have the logistics worked out, so not sure how your are handling the $7,500 credit. But I would pay $2k to have my M3 sooner than I currently have a window for.

If I was in the market for one I'd pay $2k to hop the line and get it now - that sounds like a reasonable premium to me. (I canceled my order and bought an inventory S in December) depending on where you are on the wait list it might even make sense to do so if the $7,500 credit would be reduced by the time you'd be up to configure.

@lupend88, invites to non-owner line-waiters in a few days is one of the 4 options. If you are a line waiter, you could wait a few more days to see how Tesla will continue. If the first 3 options are not ready right now, some non-owners could get invites in the meantime. By the way, check out the Model 3 Delivery Estimator. I will update it again after we find out Tesla's next move.

• Informative
Reactions: lupend88
Any advantage in waiting? Do you think the cars will be of higher quality down the road if they improve the production line?

Probably. 20 changes per week, remember? Tesla doesn't believe in standing still.

Also, there's an AWD model coming, a white interior, and a performance model at some point.

Is any of this worth not getting the car now to drive right now? That's up to you to decide...