Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2K to go from 60 kWh to 75 kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has someone done a business case for this? If so, my apologies b/c I haven't been able to find it. . .

My 60 charges to 207 at 100%. I know I'm leaving about 45 +/- miles on the table for those last 15 kWh that already sit under the floorboards (correct me if I'm wrong?). If I had 250 +/- miles for road trips, it would be great. I could skip a supercharger to the next one. . . I'd supercharge less often overall. . . Everything would be better - for everyone. But at $50 for every additional 1 mile of range, does this make any economic sense at all? 90% of the time, I drive the car for a daily 30-mile round trip commute. I charge at work so I always head out in the afternoon with a full charge.

Has anyone else thought about this? How do folks feel that spent the $2K to get to 75 kWh?

I still don't understand why Tesla wouldn't just automatically unlock these 60s! It helps everyone and everything in every possible way!

Has someone done a business case for this? If so, my apologies b/c I haven't been able to find it. . . [...] But at $50 for every additional 1 mile of range, does this make any economic sense at all?
I had a similar question, where I can get my original single charger car upgraded to the dual chargers for $2,000. My wife did a business case for that pretty quickly, where it would only be useful about once a year, so we can rent a car a few times for a lot less than $2,000, and by then there will be more Superchargers too, so it may be even less useful. That latter part may apply to your battery situation too. If you travel somewhat infrequently, there will be more Superchargers in a few years, making it less of an issue.

I still don't understand why Tesla wouldn't just automatically unlock these 60s! It helps everyone and everything in every possible way!
Ha ha! It's certainly not better for everyone, since Tesla would be getting NO money for it. When it was priced higher, relatively few people were buying the upgrade. They brought it down to this level, and it seems the value is pretty good, so a very large majority of people went for it, so that incentive is still there. (You're thinking about paying them for it, eh?) Also, if you sell the car or trade it in, someone else may pay to upgrade it, so they could still get paid for it later. So it certainly benefits them to wait and not just give that away for free to everyone.

Has someone done a business case for this? If so, my apologies b/c I haven't been able to find it. . .

My 60 charges to 207 at 100%. I know I'm leaving about 45 +/- miles on the table for those last 15 kWh that already sit under the floorboards (correct me if I'm wrong?). If I had 250 +/- miles for road trips, it would be great. I could skip a supercharger to the next one. . . I'd supercharge less often overall. . . Everything would be better - for everyone. But at $50 for every additional 1 mile of range, does this make any economic sense at all? 90% of the time, I drive the car for a daily 30-mile round trip commute. I charge at work so I always head out in the afternoon with a full charge.

Has anyone else thought about this? How do folks feel that spent the $2K to get to 75 kWh?

You can charge your 60 to 100% every day and get 207 miles. If you unlock the extra capacity you would be limited to 90% for everyday driving which if you scale up would be about 221 miles. So your actual realized benefit would be less than 15 miles for most of your driving. Doesn't seem worth it, even for $2K. Enjoy the convenience of being able to charge to 100% every day and save your $2K.

Reactions: thegooch49
I did the upgrade. I went from 203 on a full charge to 236??Doesn't make sense if you do the math. It should go up 25%.I was told battery would start slowing down but this seems excessive for a car that I have had for 9 months. I bought it assuming I would get at least 40-50 extra miles. I guess one way to look at it is the resale value should go up at least 2k? So if that is the case it is worth it. I still want to see the math on this. at 60 and 200 miles a charge (make it easy thats 50 miles per 15kwh. so buying another 15 should at least give me another 50 miles. This doesn't make sense. Going to take mine to a service center to get my 75 sticker put on and will ask what the deal is with the charging numbers not making sense? Anyone else upgrade and not get what the thought?

Great points all around.

I like the single/dual charger upgrade business case. That one seems pretty clear-cut to me and is a little different than this question. . . However, still a really good example.

Yes, it does little for Tesla in that they get no money for it. Great point! But I was assuming my upgrade (and others) would create a noticeable decreased strain on Superchargers. I then figured it would be better for Tesla overall (happier customers) so there was definitely value in that, right?

Since the daily value of the upgrade’s increased range may be so small, it’s certainly a case to NOT spend the $2K. Great thoughts there.

I’m a little behind on what “uncorking” would even mean/do. . .

And it’s great to hear from someone that actually did the upgrade. 236 for a full charge is a little disappointing. . . I hope that the service rectifies this and you ratchet up higher in the 245+ range. . . Give us an update after that! But your comment on resale is a huge one. . . Maybe it’s a complete wash, then? Once you sell the car, is it a direct translation to future value? This is the best business case FOR doing the upgrade, IMO. If it can be “free” to get it done and you enjoy the car’s range for the next 5-7 years (my planned duration to own it) than maybe it’s a home run to just get it done?

Out of curiosity, does the imagery on your LED dash update to say “Model S 75?” I’m sure it does, but was always wondering how that worked. . . And Tesla will update the badging for free? Assuming so. . .

I did the upgrade. I went from 203 on a full charge to 236??Doesn't make sense if you do the math. It should go up 25%.I was told battery would start slowing down but this seems excessive for a car that I have had for 9 months. I bought it assuming I would get at least 40-50 extra miles. I guess one way to look at it is the resale value should go up at least 2k? So if that is the case it is worth it. I still want to see the math on this. at 60 and 200 miles a charge (make it easy thats 50 miles per 15kwh. so buying another 15 should at least give me another 50 miles. This doesn't make sense. Going to take mine to a service center to get my 75 sticker put on and will ask what the deal is with the charging numbers not making sense? Anyone else upgrade and not get what the thought?

The short version is you didn’t buy a 15kwh upgrade. The additional capacity actually unlocked is more like 10kwh.

As for the actual value of it, I’d say in most cases it’s simply not worth it. The hypothetical value of being able to pump in a little more juice at a supercharger is nice in theory, but in practice that last 10% is so slow you’ll never want to do it unless you absolutely have to. Really I think the only reason to upgrade is if you have a common trip or leg on a longer journey where a 75 can make it but a 60 can’t.

That said, I did pay the $2k for exactly that reason. Unlocking the extra capacity enables me to charge to 100% at home and make it to a supercharger 200 miles away on a common route I drive with a comfortable range buffer, eliminating the need for a second stop.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Assuming your 60 is RWD, which I believe it is based on your 100% range, nothing. “Uncorking” is an acceleration upgrade available to certain 75D cars, but does not apply to RWD.

And it’s great to hear from someone that actually did the upgrade. 236 for a full charge is a little disappointing. . . I hope that the service rectifies this and you ratchet up higher in the 245+ range. . . Give us an update after that!
I would not expect much more than that, if any. As another data point, my “60” with 35k miles had a 100% of 197, which became 229 after the upgrade. It seems your 100% is still pretty close to rated range so you’ll see more than that, but prepare to be disappointed if you’re expecting to see something close to 250 miles and have it last for any reasonable amount of time. The 75kwh pack seems to be experiencing higher degradation than others.

Out of curiosity, does the imagery on your LED dash update to say “Model S 75?” I’m sure it does, but was always wondering how that worked. . . And Tesla will update the badging for free? Assuming so. . .
Yes to both.

How much does your time cost? Mine is worth way more than $50 per mile of range. I bet yours is too.

Thanks so this thread and the comment above in particular, I completely caved and just executed the upgrade. Thanks so much for the thoughts and comments. I think it's the right thing to do!

Attachments

• upgrade.jpg
    upgrade.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 84

I did so about 9 months ago ($2800 in Canadian funds) In your case it didn't seems like a good deal but as far as to ''unlock'' for free the last 15kWh it wouldn't be very fair for those who pay big bucks for the 75 when they bought their car or for those like me that pay for it...

I had a similar question, where I can get my original single charger car upgraded to the dual chargers for $2,000. My wife did a business case for that pretty quickly, where it would only be useful about once a year, so we can rent a car a few times for a lot less than $2,000, and by then there will be more Superchargers too, so it may be even less useful. That latter part may apply to your battery situation too. If you travel somewhat infrequently, there will be more Superchargers in a few years, making it less of an issue.

Ha ha! It's certainly not better for everyone, since Tesla would be getting NO money for it. When it was priced higher, relatively few people were buying the upgrade. They brought it down to this level, and it seems the value is pretty good, so a very large majority of people went for it, so that incentive is still there. (You're thinking about paying them for it, eh?) Also, if you sell the car or trade it in, someone else may pay to upgrade it, so they could still get paid for it later. So it certainly benefits them to wait and not just give that away for free to everyone.
Just to be fair to those who did pay extra for it is another good reason for Tesla for not doing it for free...and it's a plus value for Tesla if it's a lease to upgrade before putting it for sale...

Last edited:
You can charge your 60 to 100% every day and get 207 miles. If you unlock the extra capacity you would be limited to 90% for everyday driving which if you scale up would be about 221 miles. So your actual realized benefit would be less than 15 miles for most of your driving. Doesn't seem worth it, even for $2K. Enjoy the convenience of being able to charge to 100% every day and save your $2K.
Tesla clearly says that is not good to charge ''all the times'' at 100%

• Disagree
Reactions: kodek
I have mine since the end of January and must admit it's about the same as you. And worse at this moment I lose at least 50% of the charge between what mileage I'm suppose to have and the mileage I'm actually doing. I'll see the rest of winter if it's stay the same...

Great points all around.

I like the single/dual charger upgrade business case. That one seems pretty clear-cut to me and is a little different than this question. . . However, still a really good example.

Yes, it does little for Tesla in that they get no money for it. Great point! But I was assuming my upgrade (and others) would create a noticeable decreased strain on Superchargers. I then figured it would be better for Tesla overall (happier customers) so there was definitely value in that, right?

Since the daily value of the upgrade’s increased range may be so small, it’s certainly a case to NOT spend the $2K. Great thoughts there.

And it’s great to hear from someone that actually did the upgrade. 236 for a full charge is a little disappointing. . . I hope that the service rectifies this and you ratchet up higher in the 245+ range. . . Give us an update after that! But your comment on resale is a huge one. . . Maybe it’s a complete wash, then? Once you sell the car, is it a direct translation to future value? This is the best business case FOR doing the upgrade, IMO. If it can be “free” to get it done and you enjoy the car’s range for the next 5-7 years (my planned duration to own it) than maybe it’s a home run to just get it done?

For your curiosity, yes the LED dash update says 75 and yes the badge was change from 60d to 75d for free by the '''dealer'''...

Thanks so this thread and the comment above in particular, I completely caved and just executed the upgrade. Thanks so much for the thoughts and comments. I think it's the right thing to do!
Before the upgrade Tesla should 'unlock it for free'' for a month just to see if it worth it. But I guessed they figured that almost nobody would upgrade so they don't give a ''free trail''...