Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2K to go from 60 kWh to 75 kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
French an or Latin

It's hard to explain, but this is a mix of "We Dare", "We Challenge", "We Defy".

"Nous Defions" was the motto of the Commanders In-Extremis Force in specialized military units. It is also a limited liability corporation. Nous Defions Group LLC.

I think it's apropos as a Tesla owner, as we defy conventional thought and we challenge the status quo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olds442
What makes this a difficult business case is because Tesla did you a solid by selling you a 75 battery for the price of a 60. Then gave you the option to access it for $2,000. Believe they were the generous one in the beginning. Allowing you to charge 100% on the 60 is of significant value to most.

Then they did another solid for many 75 (and some that upgrade their 60's) owners to Uncork their 75 batteries to gain significant additional performance for FREE.

The $2,000 will mostly be recovered when you resell your 60 (now a 75).

Hard to see how Tesla is taking advantage of anybody.

I had a similar question, where I can get my original single charger car upgraded to the dual chargers for $2,000. My wife did a business case for that pretty quickly, where it would only be useful about once a year, so we can rent a car a few times for a lot less than $2,000, and by then there will be more Superchargers too, so it may be even less useful. That latter part may apply to your battery situation too. If you travel somewhat infrequently, there will be more Superchargers in a few years, making it less of an issue.

Ha ha! It's certainly not better for everyone, since Tesla would be getting NO money for it. When it was priced higher, relatively few people were buying the upgrade. They brought it down to this level, and it seems the value is pretty good, so a very large majority of people went for it, so that incentive is still there. (You're thinking about paying them for it, eh?) Also, if you sell the car or trade it in, someone else may pay to upgrade it, so they could still get paid for it later. So it certainly benefits them to wait and not just give that away for free to everyone.
We had to pay 3k for 85 to 90kwh, and that was gone in a couple months thanks to the 90kwh battery chemistry. I'd say you are getting a steal of a deal at 2k for 15kwh.

Fully charged, we got it up to 240.

I'm feeling pretty good about it all around. Really appreciate the conversation here on this.
Image-1.jpg

I just did this today, after learning that kbb price estimates for Model S 75D is about $8k more than for Model S 60D. Basically, I upgraded my car for $2k, and now have a model that is worth $8k more than before.

Of course, I would not have done it, if there wasn't a benefit. I sometimes have to drive to clients that are too close to fly but a little too far to get to without charging on the way. The upgrade gives me peace of mind for those longer trips.

But most of all, I just could not live with the slow acceleration of the 60D...

Just kidding!!! ;)

But on normal days, it sure does allow me to have more fun per battery charge.

I upgraded 60D to 75D but did so because I really, really wanted the uncorking and the subsequent ~4 second 0-60 acceleration.

However...I have to say that on a couple of 400-600 mile road trips, that the extra range has truly been useful. My 60D 100% SoC gave me about 208 miles. Now 100% is 250.

Here's an example of now (75D) vs before (60D)

75D:

Recently went to see SpaceX launch at Vandenberg. Started at full charge of 250 miles in garage. Did a top-off for 15 mins at Gilroy that I didn't technically need (but got a coffee which I DID need - and saw a cool Tesla employee's Model 3). This top-off also made it mores tree free to drive above the speed limit. Then was able to charge to about 200 miles of range (~80% SoC) at Atascadero which gave me enough charge to make it to Vandenberg (75-80 miles away) and back to Atascadero with some miles of buffer. I then got dinner in "A-town" and charged enough (about 215 miles) to make it back home (Los Altos) without having to stop at Gilroy. Sure, arrived with only about 5% left but home was my final destination so it didn't matter.

Total charge time about 2 hrs:10 minutes.

60D:

Last summer went to see same SpaceX launch. Range charged to about 100% (about 205 miles). Atascadero is about 185 miles from my house, so unless driving at 60 miles/hr, might not make it so wisely followed navigation's instructions to charge at Gilroy heading south. Not too long, maybe 15 minutes or so. Then charged at Atascadero. But the charger was charging slowly that day and I didn't have enough time to do a full 100% charge. It was still about an hour but I wasn't 100% charged (sorry forgot the range - I want to say about 180). Was actually running a bit late, so drove kind of extra fast. Anyhow by the time I got to Vandenberg, I was done to like 50-some mile range. Ut-oh. Couldn't make it back to Atascadero so I had to go further south (away from home) to Buellton. Where I charged for like 45 minutes. Then charged again at Atascadero (another 50-60 mins, forgot exactly). Then had to top-off at Gilroy for another 15 mins.

Total charge time about 3 hrs (does not include the additional hour+ I waited to USE superchargers at Atascadero and Buellton. But subtracting waiting time for more apples-to-apples comparison).

So 75D let me make this trip with about 50 mins less charging time. It's almost an hour. It let me skip a Supercharger and also not be as concerned about my speed as I was with the 60D.

Day-to-day, no real difference in 60D vs 75D, range wise. But on those longer road trips at least in my experience that extra 40 miles is actually useful.

Took the car to the service center to get the firmware update that allows 0-60 in the 4-seconds (plus better align the door panels). Can't wait to feel the crazy acceleration. Not that I plan to use it a lot. In fact, it may be nice for giggles, but I may end-up using CHILL mode, if it becomes too aggressive.

Uhm so I have a sep 2016 car, if I am reading the forums right, my 60D to 75D upgrade done yesterday, and the firmware update being done as I type will make the car go from 5.8 seconds to 5.2 seconds... Only if you have June or later will it upgrade to 4.4 or whatecer tge new motors do. Do I have this right? P.S. My full 60 charge was 340 KM and the 75 at the daily driver limit is 360 km. I am mostly doing it for the acceleration. Someobe let me know if I got this right, TY

I have a March 2017 75D (just pre-new DUs) and I went from 5.1 to just under 4.0 seconds. Measured with Power Tools app which, as I understand it, can only query Tesla’s APIs every .25 seconds so it isn’t super accurate. But good enough I believe.

I’ve got multiple runs that it records as 3.7 seconds but I assume more realistically that would be 3.7 (stated) + 0.25 (API call delay) = 3.95 seconds.

Better range and better performance of this level seems to be to be the bargain of a lifetime.

While many will be looking to see if there is a better deal, this upgrade makes it a better car.

Agreed. Not only the performance increase - which was the main inspiration for me, but on my “medium” road trips (which tend to be my wife and I going 2 to 5 hours each way from our home to various places) that extra 36 miles of range has led to a surprising increase in amount of cumulative time savings and reduced anxiety. Doesn’t sound like much extra range I know — but it has an outsized effect on the capabilities to more easily road trip. At least for us.