Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Akikiki
wrong thread for that.

Sorry, I was replying to this post from @artsci:

BearBu tells me he access a camera that will make the image correct on the touchscreen. Should be about $200. If there's adequate interest we can have it made.

Also we may be making some more camera switches, but we'll need at least 10 orders to make it worthwhile. also gauging interest for that.

If there is another thread on the camera referenced, I cannot find it.

A quick update and then I need to get back to finishing the job:

With @appleguru help I was able to get the camera switcher and giraffe/panda working on my early AP1 Model X.

Here is a summary of what needs to take place:
  • You need to pull the rear camera feed out of the back of the MCU. Find someone with small hands.
  • You will need an extension cable M-F as I noted above (ebay) connected from the cable removed above to the Rear plug on the switch
  • Plug the F-F custom cable from @artsci into the back of the MCU and into the display/MCU port on the switch
  • Everything else is the same (panda connection, front camera etc)
Where I got hung up in the end was I thought something was supposed to be added to the car menu vs just pressing and holding the menu button to cause the device to switch. I ended up toggling to the front camera with the wire from the panda just so I could make sure it worked.

Now that everything is connected and I have cycled it manually the menu does work when held down and the gear shifter does switch appropriately too.

So next step is to decide where all the cables will be routed and put my car back together again. I will post some pictures of that when done.

Question for you on installing to Model X AP1. I read on earlier post that you basically have to take apart the center console and get under the vents to get to the rear camera feed connector. It seems like you found it on back of the MCU. Do you have more pictures on how to locate this connector? I appreciate it very much!

Do you have more pictures on how to locate this connector? I appreciate it very much!
This image may help you hone in on the area. This shows my extension cable (turquoise) plugged into the back of the MCU and coming out of the support framework.

The bottom connector shown in this picture is the original cable from the back of the MCU plugged into the extension cable. I just wrapped all of these up into a bundle and secured them on the other side of the framework after I confirmed it was all working OK.

IMG_3764.JPG

This image may help you hone in on the area. This shows my extension cable (turquoise) plugged into the back of the MCU and coming out of the support framework.

The bottom connector shown in this picture is the original cable from the back of the MCU plugged into the extension cable. I just wrapped all of these up into a bundle and secured them on the other side of the framework after I confirmed it was all working OK.

View attachment 398284

Thank you for the photo and explanation! Unfortunately I'm still confused to where the MCU is located as I do not know where the support framework is. Is the MCU located behind the main screen? or Under the center console? or behind glove compartment? Appreciate your help very much!

Thank you for the photo and explanation! Unfortunately I'm still confused to where the MCU is located as I do not know where the support framework is. Is the MCU located behind the main screen? or Under the center console? or behind glove compartment? Appreciate your help very much!
Sorry. You will have to take the glovebox and surrounding panels out. See video.

temp.jpg

Does anyone know where I can buy a front license plate camera mount for the X that some have mentioned in the thread? Currently using double sided foam tape and it doesn’t hold very well. Thanks!

Speaking of, anyone have a good mounting solution for the facelift S too? Maybe also license plate bracket mount? Been meaning to move mine from the scotchlok stuff to something more secure...

Well, here's an idea. This is version 1. After I found it worked, I made a cleaner version of the same plastic strip. I had taken the Tesla front mounting plate off, so I used it to pattern the location of the holes for this plastic strip. I checked that the holes were good and temporarily mounted it to make sure the screw holes matched. Two sets of holes allowed me to adjust its position. Then took it back down and used GOOP to glue the camera to the strip. I used some duct tape to hold it for 24 hours and peeled the tape off. Mounted the strip with the camer and its been there now for just over two years without incident. Again, this was a crude version the final has crisper edges.

My Camera Mount.JPG

Refreshed-Front-Cam1.jpg

Refreshed-Front-Cam2.jpg

Well, here's an idea. This is version 1. After I found it worked, I made a cleaner version of the same plastic strip. I had taken the Tesla front mounting plate off, so I used it to pattern the location of the holes for this plastic strip. I checked that the holes were good and temporarily mounted it to make sure the screw holes matched. Two sets of holes allowed me to adjust its position. Then took it back down and used GOOP to glue the camera to the strip. I used some duct tape to hold it for 24 hours and peeled the tape off. Mounted the strip with the camer and its been there now for just over two years without incident. Again, this was a crude version the final has crisper edges.

View attachment 399045
View attachment 399047

View attachment 399048

Thanks.. I wonder if we can modify / use this model to make a 3d printed part? Tesla Front Camera Bracket | Jason Nemeth

Ideally for me, something that we can screw the original Tesla camera into using its OEM bracket that then also securely attaches to the car (Using the license plat bracket screws? Other? I have/need to keep my front plate unfortunately... )