Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3.0 Battery Longevity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like you are looking back. :)
We have a Model 3 with AP but I much prefer driving the Roadster.

It took me about a year to sell the Roadster, though 5 months of that I was out of town. Still, in the half year I was at home with both cars in the garage, I never once drove the Roadster once I had the Model 3. Oh, except once I had to move it out of the garage for some reason. Drove it out to the curb, and then back in later. As much as I loved it, driving it was not as nice as driving the 3 with EAP. And when the truck came to take it to its new owner, I drove it out to the curb again.

The seating comfort and EAP won out over the electric sports car thrill. Even though it's about a second slower to 60. It's still the quickest car I see on a normal day.

"Never looked back" is an expression: Never regretted making the switch. I still think of the Zap Xebra. No regrets, ever, about trading up to the Roadster, but the little garden-pest-green rattletrap always put a smile on my face.

It's been almost 5 months since I updated the graph, so it's time to do it again. If folks want to send me their data, I'll try to get it out in about a week.
Hah, what a coincidence! I just got around to pulling new logs and mailed them to you a minute before I read this. I seem to have got back a little range recently, according to the full range charge to go to the Hawthorne Roadster event a couple of weeks ago.

Can some one please help answer a couple of questions about the 3.0 upgrade (R80). I attempted to research on tmc but I’ve not had success-
1. What is the max CAC level on a new 3.0 battery?
2. Does anyone have written warranty info on the battery from Tesla? I’m under the impression from reading on TMC that it’s for 3yrs/36K miles for battery and PEM. I’ve asked Local SC and was directed to ask Tesla headquarter.

Thanks

Can some one please help answer a couple of questions about the 3.0 upgrade (R80). I attempted to research on tmc but I’ve not had success-
1. What is the max CAC level on a new 3.0 battery?
2. Does anyone have written warranty info on the battery from Tesla? I’m under the impression from reading on TMC that it’s for 3yrs/36K miles for battery and PEM. I’ve asked Local SC and was directed to ask Tesla headquarter.

Thanks
The new CAC is about 214.5.

I don't remember the warranty details, but it doesn't matter because you can't get a new 3.0 battery anymore anyway.

Thanks, New CAC level is helpful for me to eval used R80 packs.

I’m still trying to nail down the warranty info since there are “for sale” roadsters with R80 packs that I would think (less then 2-3yrs since retrofitted). would still be under coverage.

Thanks, New CAC level is helpful for me to eval used R80 packs.

I’m still trying to nail down the warranty info since there are “for sale” roadsters with R80 packs that I would think (less then 2-3yrs since retrofitted). would still be under coverage.
The warranty is 3 years and it only covers the upgraded portion of the PEM I am told. The CAC drops noticeably in the first two years as my CAC is 185. If you are looking to buy PM me as I may be willing to sell my 1.5/3.0. Thanks.

I am looking to buy a 2.5 Roadster the coming months and some are on the market with this new 3.0 battery upgrade. Since this thread has been started 2,5 yrs ago I would think that by now a general conclusion can be drawn. Reading through this thread my impression is that the 3.0 battery upgrade - mainly due to the much faster degradation then the original pack - is not worth the extra money...

Am I right?

The warranty is 3 years and it only covers the upgraded portion of the PEM I am told. The CAC drops noticeably in the first two years as my CAC is 185. If you are looking to buy PM me as I may be willing to sell my 1.5/3.0. Thanks.
Thank you for the info and offer to consider selling a car with the 3.0 pack...

I did finally get something in writing from Tesla on the 3.0 warranty. SC has been all over the place with answering this simple question(answers ranged from 1-3yrs.). I’ve still not got a definitive answer on the PEM coverage with the upgrade.

Attachments

• EAD8C995-646F-4483-8B9F-6DF26E42DECB.jpeg
    EAD8C995-646F-4483-8B9F-6DF26E42DECB.jpeg
    634.5 KB · Views: 116
I am looking to buy a 2.5 Roadster the coming months and some are on the market with this new 3.0 battery upgrade. Since this thread has been started 2,5 yrs ago I would think that by now a general conclusion can be drawn. Reading through this thread my impression is that the 3.0 battery upgrade - mainly due to the much faster degradation then the original pack - is not worth the extra money...

Am I right?
Unless they can provide the logs that show the degradation rate has declined/stopped after initial period, I agree. The early 3.0 upgrades should have enough info by now to have some idea. If it is still declining, then completely agree.

I have a remanufactured battery (not 3.0) with CAC 155. The 3.0 battery, if CAC is much higher, so longer range (if that is a desire), could be worth a little more, as long as degradation stops. It will be interesting to see what Tesla does IF they get a fix for the degradation and start making replacement batteries again, but until we know for sure, it looks like 3rd party players are the only option for battery work right now. Imo, it complicates re-sale of roadsters, especially with 3-year warranty on the 3.0 upgrades beginning to expire.

Two different people sent me logs today, so that was a sign that I should really do the update I promised a few weeks ago.

Things mostly continue apace. At just under 50K miles on my pack (#670), I've lost about 19% of CAC. In comparison, I lost about 15% at 80K miles on my (second) original pack. So it's losing capacity at roughly twice the rate of the old battery. Though, to be fair, the rate of decline is a whole lot less than it was when the 3.0 battery was new, so it will still be a while until it gets as bad as a new original battery.

Other cars' batteries don't seem terribly different than mine, when you take into account that they've all been driven less. It still seems like the age of the battery has a much bigger effect than the miles driven. For instance, compare 670 to 33: pretty close CAC (175 & 176) at almost the same age (roughly 1100 days), but 14K and 50K miles.

Keep sending me data, and I'll keep posting periodic updates.

CAC vs. Mileage.jpg
CAC vs. Days.jpg

Is the flat blue line at the top a glitch? It's showing no loss after 630 days.

Kind of. It's not a glitch in my software so much as Tesla's. It's only got 132 miles on the battery (in the 630 days). The CAC recalculation algorithm doesn't seem to run unless the car has been driven some miles. My guess is that if you took it out and put a few hundred miles on it, it would drop down to where other cars at the same age are, around maybe 200-205.

This is the mysterious VIN 2, BTW. I don't know who owns the car, I just get logs for it occasionally. The total mileage on the car for both batteries is 4170 as of August, 2018 when I got the last log.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
This is the mysterious VIN 2, BTW. I don't know who owns the car, I just get logs for it occasionally. The total mileage on the car for both batteries is 4170 as of August, 2018 when I got the last log.
VIN 2 is owned by a friend of mine and lives in Napa Valley. I've suggested to him that he should try some longer drives.

Note that this is production VIN 2, not Founders' VIN 2 that is owned by Martin Eberhard and is decorated in gray with orange racing stripes.