Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 car seats in the back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My lease is coming to end on the 3 - and now... Another baby on the way. Happy, but now I have no idea what to do!

Another 3 just won't work.

Anyone got 3 car seats in the back of a Y? Or is this end of my Tesla journey? (0, 4 and 7 Yr old for me)

One of these might help?? Child Car Seats - 4 Child Car Seat, 3 Child Car Seat & Accessories

Just noticed someone else posted the same. Oops.

Model S is wider than a 3.
Took a click through, thought ooo, cool solution (to a problem I don't have TBH), then got to the price.

Eyebrows appear to have gone missing :(.

Booster is only needed until 135 (ish), and legally there is a pass for the middle seat. That doesn't mean the child can see out or is safe, just that you aren't breaking the law. From Child car seats: the law

No room for a third child car seat​

Children aged 3 or older can sit in the back using an adult belt.

That said, I wouldn't be happy with it, although a fair bit of protection is implied by the 2 seats to either side?

Having just hired a Y for holiday, it definitely felt more spacious in the back. Need to book yourself a test drive and take the existing seats along and see how much space there is in the middle. There are some middle seat specific boosters these days I think?

booster is partly designed to push the body up to reach adult chest belts? If so, I wonder if you could sit in the middle using the headrest of one of the neighbouring car seats to pull the chest belt down to their level? From my recollection they usually have a little slot/hook to redirect the chest belt at a safe height?

Took a click through, thought ooo, cool solution (to a problem I don't have TBH), then got to the price.

Eyebrows appear to have gone missing :(.

Booster is only needed until 135 (ish), and legally there is a pass for the middle seat. That doesn't mean the child can see out or is safe, just that you aren't breaking the law. From Child car seats: the law

That said, I wouldn't be happy with it, although a fair bit of protection is implied by the 2 seats to either side?

Having just hired a Y for holiday, it definitely felt more spacious in the back. Need to book yourself a test drive and take the existing seats along and see how much space there is in the middle. There are some middle seat specific boosters these days I think?
Thanks, I've tried to book an overnight test drive, but the days haven't suited me yet. Problem is our baby seat is pretty huge, need to a small one, so probably need a trip to Halfords or similar too

Thanks, I've tried to book an overnight test drive, but the days haven't suited me yet. Problem is our baby seat is pretty huge, need to a small one, so probably need a trip to Halfords or similar too
I suspect the overall width isn't enough to make a difference, but the seats are higher so not so sunken back between the wheel arches. Definitely worth a look.

Or there is the enyaq. Similar capabilities to the Y, but no SC network. Not sure I'd like to give that up, but if it's that or leave one of the kids behind...

IMG_7969.jpeg

There’s heaps of YouTube videos about this, three fit in a Y - the first two in my pic are mega wide Britax and the third is a regular booster that slots into the isofix no issues. If I was doing this all the time I might invest in Diono slimline seats or even the ones in this video: