Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 days / 100 miles to address cosmetic issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following-up on my original post, in my case, none of the cosmetic issues are things I could have caused. They are manufacturer issues (blotchy paint job on rear bumper that I brought up during delivery, weird diamond-shaped pattern around the Tesla symbol on my steering wheel, passenger side carpeting along console not installed properly). Would these potentially not be rectified after the 3 days/100 miles?

This has been true for me since taking delivery as well. Tried force closing app, re-logging in, etc. Sometimes it errors when loading the issue list, sometimes it errors when confirming all appointment details. Either way, haven’t been able to get one scheduled.

I ended up making appt via chat to fix my post delivery issues. The rep said since I'm a new owner in transition it will take 2 weeks or so for me to use this app function.

was it a Tesla body shop or third party that did the repainting and did it turn out fine? I’m gonna need some panels repainted too but I’m afraid it won’t be the same... I don’t wanna make things worse. Ooh I want a sweet rental too lol.

The Tesla service center (Sunnyvale) used a third party. All of the paint issues were corrected, although there were a couple of new swirl marks that occurred. I ended up getting a ceramic coating later, and they corrected all of the swirl marks before doing the ceramic coating. So, the paint looks great now! Ask me again in 10 years, though....hopefully it holds up as well as the OEM paint. On the other hand, maybe the new paint will outlast the OEM paint!

• Informative
Reactions: laketica
Perhaps their server is loaded with people trying to use the feature. With all of the new cars, and the numerous folks that couldn’t completely look over their cars, might be loaded.

Congrats on your new cars though, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have since March!

welcome to the club!

There's another reason that is surfacing for the problem scheduling appts in the app: Tesla has not updated that we own the car in their database. Mine is still showing as being owned by Tesla since it was a test drive car with 250 miles. Others have the car owned by someone else that was going to buy it but then they got it.

Not clear how to get it fixed, but the Service Centers were the ones that can identify the problem in their database. They refuse to schedule appts or touch the car until you own it, so calling or going there won't get you anywhere since they can't fix the problem.

...This is crazy...

The owner's self quality check policy has not been a serious problem before because Tesla was willing to fix whatever faults that owners found afterward.

However, in recent days, with the push for profit, this policy can be very much a big problem for owners because it is uncertain that Tesla would be willing to fix the problems pointed out by owners.

The parameters got shrunk to 7 days / 1,000 miles satisfaction guaranteed. Then now it is further shrunk down to 3 calendar days / 100 miles which are for Tesla's advantage especially at weekends with a holiday which would be the entire 3 days such as for January 18, 29, 20 (Friday, Saturday and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's holiday).

Ok well... I’m at 83 miles now and 1 day... but I can’t schedule an appointment to report an issue... so... the heck am I supposed to do. -_- I will pass the 100 miles tomorrow with my commute to work... so I took a screenshot of my mileage in the app with my VIN and I emailed everything to the service center email address for San Diego and CC'ed my SA...

Last edited:
When my company purchased an airplane for our customers we used to do what we called a pre-purchase inspection before completing the transaction. We typically spent two days going over every inch of the airplane looking for any potential trouble areas. Then we came up with a list of items that needed to be addressed prior to the close of sale.

When I purchased our Model 3’s I used the same concept. The car doesn’t need two days of course because it’s much smaller and simpler than an airplane. But I can go through the entire car in about 60 minutes and feel confident that I did not miss anything cosmetically, which is the main area of concern. If there is something wrong with the systems the warranty will cover it.

I see people here who take delivery in the dark, while it’s raining out, and they spend 5-10 minutes looking at their car. These are the people who then post about the quality issues and vent their frustrations about paint drips and surface scratches and why can’t Tesla fix these problems blah blah blah.

Yes, it would be nice if Tesla had a pre delivery inspection process like most other car companies. But they don’t. So you can either do a proper pre-purchase inspection, or you can be a victim.

There is no more tax credit to worry about. So if you go to take delivery of a car and it has issues, just reject it and wait for another one. It’s really that simple.

You know, it's great that Tesla does things differently, but it's also terrible that Tesla does things differently.

When you buy a new car at a regular dealership, you aren't worried about anything that might be wrong because other car companies stand by their new cars (not so much with used cars).

So people new to Tesla don't know that they need to treat buying a new Tesla the way you treat buying a used car from a shady corner lot dealership.

Not sure I can fault people for thinking that Tesla would stand by their product, especially if they are one of the 95% of owners that don't spend all day on car forums.

When my company purchased an airplane for our customers we used to do what we called a pre-purchase inspection before completing the transaction. We typically spent two days going over every inch of the airplane looking for any potential trouble areas. Then we came up with a list of items that needed to be addressed prior to the close of sale.

When I purchased our Model 3’s I used the same concept. The car doesn’t need two days of course because it’s much smaller and simpler than an airplane. But I can go through the entire car in about 60 minutes and feel confident that I did not miss anything cosmetically, which is the main area of concern. If there is something wrong with the systems the warranty will cover it.

I see people here who take delivery in the dark, while it’s raining out, and they spend 5-10 minutes looking at their car. These are the people who then post about the quality issues and vent their frustrations about paint drips and surface scratches and why can’t Tesla fix these problems blah blah blah.

Yes, it would be nice if Tesla had a pre delivery inspection process like most other car companies. But they don’t. So you can either do a proper pre-purchase inspection, or you can be a victim.

There is no more tax credit to worry about. So if you go to take delivery of a car and it has issues, just reject it and wait for another one. It’s really that simple.

Reactions: Kiwiadventure
You know, it's great that Tesla does things differently, but it's also terrible that Tesla does things differently.

When you buy a new car at a regular dealership, you aren't worried about anything that might be wrong because other car companies stand by their new cars (not so much with used cars).

So people new to Tesla don't know that they need to treat buying a new Tesla the way you treat buying a used car from a shady corner lot dealership.

Not sure I can fault people for thinking that Tesla would stand by their product, especially if they are one of the 95% of owners that don't spend all day on car forums.

So if you buy a Camry from the local Toyota dealership, take it home, and then discover scratches and paint flaws after you start driving it, you would expect the dealership to fix all of those flaws after they have your money?

So if you buy a Camry from the local Toyota dealership, take it home, and then discover scratches and paint flaws after you start driving it, you would expect the dealership to fix all of those flaws after they have your money?

I’ve worked in the traditional car business for a while (admittedly not anymore) and i have seen several instances where people will drive back the next day and yes the issues are corrected. In some cases the car was unwound and a new car sold. Honest, reputable dealerships are more afraid of the bad reviews/surveys than a single car having those issues. This has been my experience at least.

I've had undercarriage damage on 2 new tesla purchases now along with paint and interior issues. One required a new battery pack due to physical damage. They noted it as suspected customer damage so they could say it was goodwill and not warranty work. These guys absolutely do not inspect the cars before delivery. They prep them in the condition that they come off the delivery truck in and see if the owner will take them... Pretty shady. If condition matters, Tesla is not necessarily the car for you right now. But you can make it fart and play games...

Reactions: TLLMRRJ

Yes, if it's a manufacturing defect. This typical approach:

"manufacturer warrants this product to be free from defects in workmanship and materials, under normal use and conditions."

The question is, you don't?? That would be very strange.

Reactions: super20g
Yes, if it's a manufacturing defect. This typical approach:

"manufacturer warrants this product to be free from defects in workmanship and materials, under normal use and conditions."

The question is, you don't?? That would be very strange.

It would be hard to argue a scratch or dent is a manufacturer's defect since those can happen the minute you drive off the lot. I think it's unrealistic to think that most car dealers would fix those things once you take the car home. You would have to prove that you did not cause the damage.

Over two years later and this behavior hasn’t changed a bit. I reported a cosmetic issue with the fabric on the A pillar of my 2022 M3LR during delivery and didn’t push for it to be fixed right away. The SA is now stating I didn’t say anything, I have it in writing and handed them the list to copy, and I’m being told that I must pay to have the issue fixed.

The used car lot behavior is freaking unreal for a company promising that would provide a better experience.

Reactions: likkuid
Over two years later and this behavior hasn’t changed a bit. I reported a cosmetic issue with the fabric on the A pillar of my 2022 M3LR during delivery and didn’t push for it to be fixed right away. The SA is now stating I didn’t say anything, I have it in writing and handed them the list to copy, and I’m being told that I must pay to have the issue fixed.

The used car lot behavior is freaking unreal for a company promising that would provide a better experience.
Did you also file a service request as well?

I won't have my orders to be delivered for sometime, and I am learning all I can during the long and painful waiting period.

We should not have to spend 2 to 3 hours with a 20 page check list and a magnifying glass trying to find all the defects and damage that came from the factory with a 3 day or 100 mile limit. This is ridiculous. You see different things with direct sun, shade etc. you should be enjoying your new car instead. Tesla really needs to revamp and step up their quality control.

Did you also file a service request as well?

I won't have my orders to be delivered for sometime, and I am learning all I can during the long and painful waiting period.
I did file a service request, the mobile service person showed up and agreed that there was no way I could have damaged the headliner in that way. Very obvious someone jammed it together without care. He did what he could to make it look a bit better, but agreed it would have to be replaced, and the car would need to go back to the Tesla Service Center.