Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 or Y and Why !?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. Have had a Model 3 SR+ since Nov-19. Have 3 kids and have been thinking about cashing in on amazing resale on a 36k 2 year old car. I’m also worried the real world range on the SR+ will start to look outdated. And am thinking of ordering a Long Range Y for more space and extra range. Viewed a Y today in the Belfast Tesla garage. Can’t make up my mind on whether the change is worth the £15k+ difference. What do people feel between the look of the Y and 3 - I felt like I preferred the look of my 3.

We initially had an order placed for a 3. But with a growing family and coming from an SUV X3 - we decided to cancel and opt for the Y. Now it’s a waiting game. Glad we did. As amazing as the 3 is, it’s just too small for our needs hence the Y order.

Interior looks the same but the MY has a longer wheelbase and is wider which gives more room in the back
The seats are also on risers, so they sit quite a bit higher, giving more downward leg room in both the front and back.
9_34038cfb-ae64-4573-b277-df2105617c8b_grande.jpg

I initially placed an order for a model 3 to replace my BMW 535D, but the wife made some good points and convinced me to get the model Y instead. I have not personally compared the 3 and Y side by side as I purchased the Y sight unseen, but I'm glad I went with the Y. IMO, the Y is better for the reasons of:
- a taller vehicle which makes it easier to get in and out of
- It has a hatchback which makes it more practical and easier to put bigger stuff in the trunk
- It's a bit taller and provides better visibility while driving
- The glass roof is different than the 3
- It can seat 7 (I have children) / 5 comfortably
- The middle row slides forward and back and reclines a bit (I think this is only for the 7-seater)
- The 2nd and 3rd-row seats fold flat and can comfortably lay down (for two) in the back without obstructions over my legs
- taller vehicle which provides better clearance over obstacles such as curbs, speed bumps, snow, awkward driveways, etc.

Overall, I think you get all the benefits of the 3 with the Y, and some. The only thing I can think of that the 3 would be better at is handling. But the Y doesn't lack in that department. So far, I've been really impressed with how the Y handles on twisty roads during spirited driving.
I just came back from the Dolomites and got at least a foot of snow once we arrived, and my Y drove through every obstacle I put it through without any struggles or chains with my induction wheels and all-season tires, although snow tires would've improved some situations. Nonetheless, I was totally impressed by how this vehicle excelled in everything and performed beyond my expectations. Very well-rounded CUV and couldn't be happier with the choice with zero regrets.

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-03 at 00.00.26.jpeg

There is nothing the 3 can do that the Y can't do, with exception of a tiny bit more range and speed. In my 33,000 miles of experience a tiny bit of range is unnoticed and a tiny bit of speed is unnoticed.

Aesthetically, yeah maybe the 3 looks better?

The Y is worth every bit more of the price increase.

Wanted the model Y but also wanted the take advantage of the Scottish governments est loan scheme (£28k interest free loan) up to 6 years and (at time I applied) it was for cars under £50k. The MY. Of course starts at £54k so that’s the main reason for now I’m getting a M3.

Really wanted the hatch, I’ve two dogs, I also prefer a higher driving position.

Hopefully I’ll get into a MY at some point though.

I saw my first Model Y on the road yesterday. Following a white Long Range on the I84 Freeway my wife commented that it looked like a miniature version of the Model X. It made her even more determined for us to swap the Model 3 over & I must admit that the side/rear view looked much more attractive than I had expected.

(I'm still enjoying the Model 3 too much to want to swap just yet so after 'negotiation' a couple of weeks ago we have ordered her a Fiat 500e)