Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 questions: res # / delivery / reservation trade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!
Ok - I finally took the plunge..l now that I did, I can;t belive I waited so long. I am reservation 14,417. So. here are my questions:
1) is there any deciphering of a reservation number (do they actually mean anyhting - or are they random or sequential??)
2) what do you predict my actual delivery date to be?
3) From what I read -- this on is a longshot (with some ethical implications I might add)...IF someone with a low reservation number wanted to defer (outside their 1 allowed by Tesla), could they trade with me -- swap my plac in line for theirs?? (not sure who on Earth would do this, but hey - might as well ask if it is possible, and throw it out there).
Thanks everyone !!

p.s. It has been 3 days since I have reserved, and I am dying! I hope the waiting for the S is like quitting smoking... the first week is the hardest!!

Hi all!
Ok - I finally took the plunge..l now that I did, I can;t belive I waited so long. I am reservation 14,417. So. here are my questions:
1) is there any deciphering of a reservation number (do they actually mean anyhting - or are they random or sequential??)
2) what do you predict my actual delivery date to be?
3) From what I read -- this on is a longshot (with some ethical implications I might add)...IF someone with a low reservation number wanted to defer (outside their 1 allowed by Tesla), could they trade with me -- swap my plac in line for theirs?? (not sure who on Earth would do this, but hey - might as well ask if it is possible, and throw it out there).
Thanks everyone !!

p.s. It has been 3 days since I have reserved, and I am dying! I hope the waiting for the S is like quitting smoking... the first week is the hardest!!

1) There are two numbers you have, one is the "reservation number" and one is the "sequence number". 14,417 is certainly your sequence number. It is sequential. It means that your reservation was the 14,417th for a general production car in the United States.

2) If Tesla starts making cars at the rate of 400/wk on January 1, and assuming 10% cancellations, and assuming that 500 general production cars are built in 2012, your car will be built during the 32nd week of the year (week of August 5th 2013). Give them another 10 days to deliver to Minnesota.

3) Trading of spots seems to be completely disallowed, except for family members

P.S. It gets easier after the first week...for a while. The last two months are much, much worse than the first week. The last two weeks are unbearable.

3) Trading of spots seems to be completely disallowed, except for family members

Not true; however, you have to have a very good "legitimate" story that they can verify. I gather that family members count as legitimate, but that isn't the only case that counts. My understanding is that Tesla is avoiding supporting the selling of slots. I can see why they would....

Hi all!
Ok - I finally took the plunge..l now that I did, I can;t belive I waited so long. I am reservation 14,417.

Hi Rekoh - I am right in front of you at 14,401. The best thing you can do now is read all of the reviews, watch all of the videos and enjoy all of the posts here about the MS, especially about those folks getting their cars now. It should also be comforting to know that at least by the time we get our cars any bugs and fixes should be figured out, unexpected problems should be corrected, apps completed, warranty costs figured out, etc. and we are still getting in before the big jump in reservations to come - and (for you and me) before winter sets in next year! Of course, if I had the opportunity, I wouldn't mind picking up my car tomorrow..

2) If Tesla starts making cars at the rate of 400/wk on January 1, and assuming 10% cancellations, and assuming that 500 general production cars are built in 2012, your car will be built during the 32nd week of the year (week of August 5th 2013). Give them another 10 days to deliver to Minnesota.

Well, ideally we europeans would like about 2,000 EU cars to also be made before his ;)

Hi Rekoh - I am right in front of you at 14,401. The best thing you can do now is read all of the reviews, watch all of the videos and enjoy all of the posts here about the MS, especially about those folks getting their cars now. It should also be comforting to know that at least by the time we get our cars any bugs and fixes should be figured out, unexpected problems should be corrected, apps completed, warranty costs figured out, etc. and we are still getting in before the big jump in reservations to come - snip ...

What big bump? Did I miss a news sound byte? :)

I can't. Why?

You want to discourage speculators. The last thing you want is a bunch folks dumping money in to create artificial delays for your real customers. Worse, what happens when they can't swap / sell them? Given that the $5k deposit is refundable until you sign the paperwork, you can potentially have a run on requests for refunds. In fact, even after they swap with someone, they can still ask for their money back. Also, I bet it's quite a bit of work and overhead.

Thanks for all of the comments -- not sure I am thrilled with August as a potential date... was hoping for May :(

With that said - if anyone wants to trade spots, let me know!!! -- I am sure i can explain the legitimacy to Tesla... about how this waiting is causing emotional distress and that is straining my work and personal life relationships. How my obsession is in direct conflict with my patience. etc.

14,417 is certainly your sequence number. It is sequential. It means that your reservation was the 14,417th for a general production car in the United States.
Technically he guessed it from your profile which indicates a location in the U.S. and the fact that we have no where near that number for any other region having reported in.

But, in theory, if you had set your Location field in your profile to somewhere in, say, Europe it would be fun to see the "tally" folks get very excited about a HUGE jump in the reservation tally for that region. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all of the comments -- not sure I am thrilled with August as a potential date... was hoping for May :(

With that said - if anyone wants to trade spots, let me know!!! -- I am sure i can explain the legitimacy to Tesla... about how this waiting is causing emotional distress and that is straining my work and personal life relationships. How my obsession is in direct conflict with my patience. etc.

Also: welcome aboard, rekoh -- to the reservation list and to the forum.