Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

30,000 VIN vs 99,000 VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got an X loaner today. My Vin is approximately 30,000, and the new loaner I got today was 99,000. The car overall is identical, except for the silver trim being changed to the new graphite colour. The most notable difference that I noticed between my car and the loaner was that the suspension noticeably had a better ride and absorbed bumps better. Of course it is hard to quantify, but I would say it is a good 15% better. I've never heard the forums mention this improvement.

Some other small differences. This car is uncorked, and the initial acceleration does feel stronger - not a whole lot, but definitely noticeable. However, acceleration from 100-150km/hr is not much different than my corked car. It seems to be concentrated at the low end as far as I can tell.

As well, the front door opening mechanism is now silent compared to my car which makes a clicking type unlatching sound. And the premium sound system compared to my standard sound system doesn't sound that much better. It does sound more immersive, but nowhere near worth the price of the PUP package if you ask me. The standard system sounds really good as is, but of course it is all now included.

I used to regret having the 5 seat configuration, but after trying this 6 seat with console loaner, not so much. The third row is definitely cramped with low head room, and is really meant as an extra seat but not somewhere you would like to be for a road trip. As well, the second row only tilts, whereas the 5 seat bench reclines - I find the latter more comfortable if you want to lean back more. As well, the entire 5 seat bench sits lower than the captain's chairs giving second row a bit more head room (but less thigh support). As well, when you fold the third row down in the 6 seater, there are lots of gaps where I can imagine trunk items would fall into. The 5 seater doesn't have this issue. Finally, the monopost seats have so many motors that I'm afraid will become a reliability issue down the road - I got this loaner because my front driver's door motor/actuator stopped working. The 5 seat bench doesn't use any motors.

Just my two cents if anyone is wondering what has changed with the latest X's being built.

You are missing quite a bit.

- The FWDs now have sensors inside the speakers that detect objects under the door when opened.
- MCU2
- Steering. Standard on 2018 is more stiff than standard on 2016, like 2018 Standard = 2016 Sport
- Wiper blades sit higher than 2016 when not in used.
- AP2.5
- Signal light sound is more quiet in 2018
- Headlight beam maybe little bit different

- The FWDs now have sensors inside the speakers that detect objects under the door when opened.
- MCU2
- Steering. Standard on 2018 is more stiff than standard on 2016, like 2018 Standard = 2016 Sport
- AP2.5

I wasn't trying to list all the differences - just the ones that I felt were noticeable. But yes, the FWDs now have sensors inside the speakers. I noticed that today, and I have experienced my doors closing on my while I'm leaning inside the cabin.

I didn't notice any difference in the steering compared to mine, but maybe this did change. I also didn't notice the wiper sitting higher. Seemed the same as mine. I can look again.

I didn't notice any difference with the signal sound nor headlight beam. MCU is definitely faster though.

I have both a 3,000 and 103,000 X, both 6 seaters that we love (our dog too).

Although I’ll always love that first X, the newest one is hands down better in almost every way....doors-front and FWD, drive quality, seats (although I do like the perf seats), etc. From our view, the 6-seater is the best version there is.

FWIW: I use flac files and the premium sound system is superb. I’m 6’ 2”, 205lbs and seat bolsters are fine.

Regarding to the smoother bump absorption, what wheel size do you have vs the loaner?

Both my car and then loaner are the stock 20" slip stream. But there is a difference in the ride quality - it has improved. Not dramatically so, but noticeably so. I've never heard this discussed on the forums. I find the ride quality a bit harsh in my 30,000 VIN.

Reactions: Kacey Green
I have a 6 seater as well and would just love for them to fold flat. Would probably go for 7 if there’s a next time just so I can utilize all that space when I need to. I didn’t realize how much room there really is until I saw my buddies with all his seats flat... it’s cavernous

Definitely the 5 seater is more practical, but I admit the 6 looks better. Maybe I'm making myself feel better, so no offence to the 6 seater people out there. But the problem is that the 6 seater doesn't fold, seats only tilt, and the motor takes forever to move the seat out of the way to access the rear (my loaner has the console which I definitely would not want if I used the third row much). And the motor in my loaner already makes this terrible squeaking sound when it's brand new (only 3000km on the odometer). Will those motors last? And third row is cramped and a bit claustrophobic. When third row is folded, the floor is not flush with the second row, and hence lots of gaps where items can fall into. But yes, the monopost is definitely very sexy!

Oh... and as for fit and finish, the centre storage door in between the front seats doesn't work! The slide mechanism is broken, but I'm not sure if another customer broke it. And there is a loose screw rolling around the inside of the driver's door. I thought at such a high VIN, the car would be flawless. My own car barely had any issues. I changed the driver's door latch, and yesterday the motor/actuator needed to be replaced. FWD's leaked water and all seals were replaced. To any potential buyers out there, Tesla has been VERY good at fixing any issues I complained about without hesitation. The car isn't perfect, but the service has been outstanding.

I have a 6 seater as well and would just love for them to fold flat. Would probably go for 7 if there’s a next time just so I can utilize all that space when I need to. I didn’t realize how much room there really is until I saw my buddies with all his seats flat... it’s cavernous

precisely the reason im going for 7 seater = maximum utility. you can have either max passengers, or max cargo. the 6 seater does not fold flat in the 2nd row, so my Model S has more cargo space than a Model X, which i find highly pathetic haha.

I'm never going to sit in the 3rd row, its my car i drive it haha. if the 3rd row passengers want to complain about legroom, they can fly spirit airlines or drive themselves.

So much room with all flat 5 seater, bikes, ski gear, and dog has a castle going to coffee house every day.

- MCU2
- AP2.5

Did they retrofit the sensors in the speakers under warranty on the 16’s ?

I have both a 3,000 and 103,000 X, both 6 seaters that we love (our dog too).

My X: S# 35000 range. March 2017.
With both cars... here's a comparison I've wanted someone who would know, to look at.

Take a look at the driver's seat track and compare between the 2 cars.
Tesla replaced my driver's seat for some bad leather wrinkles (was there at delivery) earlier this Spring ... maybe what took so long to receive the new seat, is they had to wait on a redesign. The newer seat has a slightly longer track (up to 1") that moves forward more than my original passenger's seat.

See if you notice any difference.

-TechVP

My X: S# 35000 range. March 2017.
With both cars... here's a comparison I've wanted someone who would know, to look at.

Take a look at the driver's seat track and compare between the 2 cars.
Tesla replaced my driver's seat for some bad leather wrinkles (was there at delivery) earlier this Spring ... maybe what took so long to receive the new seat, is they had to wait on a redesign. The newer seat has a slightly longer track (up to 1") that moves forward more than my original passenger's seat.

See if you notice any difference.

-TechVP

I won’t see the Blue X until later this month when hopefully I’ll be able to navigate back to N.C. (much of I95 and i40 is shut down right now in North Carolina due to Hurricane Florence).

I’ll check and advise....

Reactions: Kacey Green