Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

30A 120V - Use it or forget it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One other possible use case for the Mobile Charger.

In 35,000 miles a multiple road trips in our M3LR, we’ve never come close to running out of electrons. But in the back of my mind, if I ever needed an emergency bailout option, I could find an RV park and ask to use one of their RV pedestals with our 14-50 adapter, offering to pay, of course. Might be a few hours, but would easily get us to the next Supercharger.

Just a thought.

Then one can get a mobile connector to keep in the car. I've done a number of long distance trips and have never once used my mobile connector.

I can't imagine there are many people who will charge more on the road than they do at home... and the HPWC is a much better choice for home charging.
i didn’t really understand and when i bought my car a both a wall connector (had it installed) and the mobile…

i don’t really know if i’ll ever use the mobile…

you need a receptacle to plug it into……i’m at an airbnb…i find a place to plug in (but i may not find one) …i run an extension cord somewhere and charge…people post stories about vacation homes…airbnb…etc…but i just don’t see making the effort…

i will just likely go to a supercharger…

Seems like as good of a place as any to ask

We're visiting a relative in Albuquerque for a few days next month. He has a TT30-R outlet for his RV that he has said I could use. But were only there for 2-3 days and it doesn't seem like a wise spend $80 to get the EVSE connector for what would probably be one, maybe two charges. There is a Supercharger 8.5 miles away.

Thoughts?

Oh, and on the subject of the Mobile Connector: I use it for ALL of my charges save for the occasional Supercharger stop. It came standard with my car with a 5-15 and I bought a 14-50 adaptor, the latter is what I use mostly.

The main reason is that there is a 14-50 outlet at my work. I charge three times per week (occasionally more), unplugging and re-plugging. Once in a while, I do charge at home where I have to swap out the pigtail.

We're visiting a relative in Albuquerque for a few days next month. He has a TT30-R outlet for his RV that he has said I could use. But were only there for 2-3 days and it doesn't seem like a wise spend $80 to get the EVSE connector for what would probably be one, maybe two charges. There is a Supercharger 8.5 miles away.

Thoughts?
You could add the TT30 power plug adapter to your kit. You never know when you might be able to use it in the future. Although 8 miles drive to a SC is not very far you will have to pay to charge at SC rates. Could you also charge using the 5-15 plug adapter at the relative's home? It might be all that you need.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
You could make a TT-30 to 10-30 or 14-30 adapter if one of those other two Tesla Mobile Connector adapters would be more useful to you...but the parts aren't cheap. You'd probably pay as much buying the TMC adapter and the parts for the custom adapter as buying the TT-30 adapter you linked.

You could make a TT-30 to 14-50 adapter, and manually dial the car down to 24a. Personally, I think it's being penny wise and pound foolish, but for a couple of days, with you carefully checking the charging amperage each time you plug in, it's acceptable.

Note that these custom adapters are not wired the same as ones for RV use, and if someone tries to use them for that purpose, they won't work and can cause problems.

I'm purposely not giving instructions because I figure that if you don't already know how to make them, then you probably shouldn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevy Baby

Thoughts?

You can buy something like this from Amazon or most any RV store. I have this Conntek version, only $7, and works great. It will let you plug into a TT-30 with either 5-15 or 5-20 plug:

If you buy the Tesla 5-20 UMC adapter ($35 last I looked), you can charge at 16 amps instead of the 12 with the 5-15 adapter.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

Thoughts?
It’s what, $20 to add 50kwh at a supercharger these days?

Will you, on this trip and/or others in the future, avoid at least 200kwh of supercharging? If so, a decent investment.

It’s what, $20 to add 50kwh at a supercharger these days?

Will you, on this trip and/or others in the future, avoid at least 200kwh of supercharging? If so, a decent investment.
It would be more about the time than the cost. I figure it would take 45-60 minutes to charge (include the drive there and the drive back). But at the same time, is the $80 worth it for what will probably be only one or two trips?

There is a 120 out there as well, so I’ll probably just charge with that. I don’t believe we’ll be driving around much, so that should work.

Reactions: ucmndd