Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

30A 120V - Use it or forget it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 30A 125V outlet in our garage for when we plugged in our Airstream travel trailer years ago. Can I use this for our new Tesla Y (on order) or with our limited daily driving of 15 miles or should I just use 110V standard outlet? And what should I order when I order the vehicle, a wall connector or mobile connector?
IMG_2222.jpeg

I'm not sure how you'd actually use it since Tesla doesn't make a 5-30 adapter for the Mobile Connector. Either use a 15A/120V outlet (20A would be even better if you have a circuit that can handle it) or do what @MattM24 suggested which would be a big upgrade and take an electrician under an hour.

If you do the 6-30 you will be repurposing the neutral for one of the hot 120V legs. This will leave you without a neutral which isn't required for Tesla charging, but you might want to put a note on the outlet.

Another option:

Get an Electrician to replace the single breaker with a double breaker and replace the receptacle with a 6-30 receptacle. Get a mobile connector with a 6-30 adapter.

Yeah, if I were you I would *definitely* swap this out for a hardwired EVSE (like Tesla's Wall Connector).

The wire is already there, you'll get 24A charging and the safety of removing a point of failure (the outlet itself).

I'm not an electrician, but could do this DIY in an hour or two. Perhaps you can find an electrician to do it for a couple hundred bucks plus the cost of the wall unit.

FYI... the mobile connector will work, but has a higher potential for failure than a hardwired unit.

Yeah, if I were you I would *definitely* swap this out for a hardwired EVSE (like Tesla's Wall Connector).

The wire is already there, you'll get 24A charging and the safety of removing a point of failure (the outlet itself).

I'm not an electrician, but could do this DIY in an hour or two. Perhaps you can find an electrician to do it for a couple hundred bucks plus the cost of the wall unit.

FYI... the mobile connector will work, but has a higher potential for failure than a hardwired unit.
This would be a good way to go. Unless you already have a Mobile Connector, in which case you could just get a TT30 adapter mentioned above.

Reactions: mr24hrman
Note. For those like me and the op, “point of failure” is moot. If the tt30 outlet is quality, it is designed for use (plug/unplug) and for me and the op, once a week charge is not going to cause failure any more than the car connection being plugged/unplugged. In my case, I rarely unplug from the outlet, but even if I did daily, it is not (say) a clothes dryer or stove outlet, where it is not expected to be removed often.

Have an electrician check the wiring to see if it can be converted to 240v 30 amp circuit and then install a wall connector. A 6-30 outlet is also an option but you will need a third party UMC adapter since Tesla doesn’t offer one. That will charge about 7x faster than the normal household plug

Or get a third party TT-30 adapter for the UMC. That will be about 2x the charge rate from a normal household plug.

Last edited:
I agree, converting the outlet to 240V and using the wall connector is the right answer. But if you want to use the mobile connect your can get the T–30 adapter here:

The NEMA 10-30 option is also a good choice, Tesla make an adapter for it:

Update and correction: I agree with @davewill, you cannot install A 10-30 outlet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
Have an electrician check the wiring to see if it can be converted to a NEMA 10-30 240v 30 amp outlet. Should be relatively easy and low cost if the wire is thick enough. Tesla sells a UMC adapter for 10-30 outlets. That will charge about 7x faster than the normal household plug

Or get a third party TT-30 adapter for the UMC. That will be about 2x the charge rate from a normal household plug.
That would be a 6-30, which uses hot-hot-ground and not a 10-30 which uses hot-hot-neutral. New 10-30 outlets can't be installed by code, and wouldn't be compatible with the wiring anyway. The TT-30 has hot-neutral-ground. To do the conversion you take the neutral wire and repurpose it as a second hot wire leaving hot-hot-ground.

That would be a 6-30, which uses hot-hot-ground and not a 10-30 which uses hot-hot-neutral. New 10-30 outlets can't be installed by code, and wouldn't be compatible with the wiring anyway. The TT-30 has hot-neutral-ground. To do the conversion you take the neutral wire and repurpose it as a second hot wire leaving hot-hot-ground.
Ahh noted. Edited my original post so I don’t give the wrong info. But Tesla doesn’t offer a 6-30 UMC adapter, so in that case probably just better to convert to a hardwired wall connector.

Note. For those like me and the op, “point of failure” is moot. If the tt30 outlet is quality, it is designed for use (plug/unplug) and for me and the op, once a week charge is not going to cause failure any more than the car connection being plugged/unplugged. In my case, I rarely unplug from the outlet, but even if I did daily, it is not (say) a clothes dryer or stove outlet, where it is not expected to be removed often.
High current socket failures are unfortunately fairly common leading to melting (or worse) of the socket, plug or connecting wires.
The key here is "quality". I don't know if this is a high quality Hubbell socket (and even if it is, it may not be wired properly) so I think it's wise to replace it with a direct connection to a wall charger.

Reactions: father_of_6
High current socket failures are unfortunately fairly common leading to melting (or worse) of the socket, plug or connecting wires.
The key here is "quality". I don't know if this is a high quality Hubbell socket (and even if it is, it may not be wired properly) so I think it's wise to replace it with a direct connection to a wall charger.
Proper tt30 are all designed for frequent use since they were for rv use. They do wear out (such as in old rv parks) but it takes several years or more of daily use. Newer rv parks have both tt30 and 14-50, again for nearly daily plug/unplug.

In the op, maybe twice a week charging will not be a problem at all.

In my case, I know my outlet is quality and the wiring is more than enough, yet I still limit to 16a (120v) since that gets me a full charge in less than two sets of off peak hours. I have tested at the full 24a (120v) and no overheating at all, even if I include my rv extension cord.

An rv which uses tt30 will OFTEN draw the full 24a since an ac and microwave will get close enough so forgetting and turning on a hair dryer or the house batt charger will trip. (So many of us rv’ers are really good at energy monitoring).

While I discourage others, I built the circuit, and know my car and rv draws so well, I can run them off a splitter if I ever needed to. The side bene is I can, if ever needed, charge the Tesla from the rv generator, since the gen has a tt30 outlet. Redundancy abounds in our case.

Why did I not go 14-50? Not enough amps left after hot tub, swim spa, ac, etc. I can if needed, with extension to the oven, but we don’t commute so we never need a fast charge at home, and we have 3 SC’s within 10 minutes if we need them.

Reactions: BitJam and Rocky_H
EVSEadapters sells both TT-30 and 6-30 adapters for the Tesla UMC.

The double breaker would have to be GFCI to comply these days. So, that’s a little more money.

A wall connector is probably a good call, since you can do what the people above mentioned.
Where I’m from, rules are different on that, so I didn’t think of it (but that’s not relevant here and hopefully changes soon).