Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

32 Amp Commando

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks.

I took delivery of my M3P a couple of weeks ago and will be getting an Andersen charge point fitted. However, because I’m having work to the house done that won’t be until after Easter. To tide me over I’ve had a 32 Amp commando socket fitted and bought a dedicated charging lead (a Duosida). Problem is I’m only getting maximum of 20 Amp charge. The car screen shows “20/20” charge current, which I presume means the car thinks there is only 20 Amps available. I can’t increase this via the screen.

The control unit on the charge cable lets me set a current of 32, 16, 13 or 10 Amps. If I reduce it to 16, 13 or 10 Amps then the car screen shows the same. But when I increase it to 32 Amps the car still shows a charge rate of 20 Amps, 18 miles per hour and no way to increase it.

I don’t suppose many people use commando sockets, but I’d really appreciate it if anyone has any advice. Thanks!

Hi folks.

I took delivery of my M3P a couple of weeks ago and will be getting an Andersen charge point fitted. However, because I’m having work to the house done that won’t be until after Easter. To tide me over I’ve had a 32 Amp commando socket fitted and bought a dedicated charging lead (a Duosida). Problem is I’m only getting maximum of 20 Amp charge. The car screen shows “20/20” charge current, which I presume means the car thinks there is only 20 Amps available. I can’t increase this via the screen.

The control unit on the charge cable lets me set a current of 32, 16, 13 or 10 Amps. If I reduce it to 16, 13 or 10 Amps then the car screen shows the same. But when I increase it to 32 Amps the car still shows a charge rate of 20 Amps, 18 miles per hour and no way to increase it.

I don’t suppose many people use commando sockets, but I’d really appreciate it if anyone has any advice. Thanks!

Does the Tesla UMC charge at 32 amp or do you not have an adapter for that one?

From the description, I'd say the Duosida box is most probably only advertising 32 A to the car. In general (with the exception of the known scheduled charging 16 A bug) the car accurately reports the advertised current from the charge point in the right hand figure. If that's consistently showing 20 A, then it suggests strongly that the Duosida box is advertising that only 20 A is available, i.e. a control pilot duty cycle of 33.33%, rather than the 53.33% duty cycle needed to signal that 32 A is available.

@Hurricane I was going to say the same thing. Welcome to borrow mine too. I'm variously between Devon and Northamptonshire.

Out of interest why buy the third party one when you have the tesla one already (except the fairly inexpensive adapter)?

Thanks, Luke.

Good question! I wanted to keep the complete Tesla supplied UMC kit in the car in case I ever needed it. Also, the Andersen unti is expensive (but aesthetically pleasing), especially as I’m not eligible for the OLEV grant, so I thought I might keep the commando as a permanent solution if it worked out ok.

From the description, I'd say the Duosida box is most probably only advertising 32 A to the car. In general (with the exception of the known scheduled charging 16 A bug) the car accurately reports the advertised current from the charge point in the right hand figure. If that's consistently showing 20 A, then it suggests strongly that the Duosida box is advertising that only 20 A is available, i.e. a control pilot duty cycle of 33.33%, rather than the 53.33% duty cycle needed to signal that 32 A is available.

That makes sense to me. It’s not as if there’s even an option to select an output of 20 A from the Duosida - it’s 32,16,13 or 10.