Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$35K Model 3 Safety Features?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having a hard look at the $35K model 3. According to the Consumer Reports link Cars With Advanced Safety Systems . The table shows Model 3 has standard: FCW CAEB/HAEB PD LDW LKA. Is that true on the new base model?

They list BSW and RCTW as not available on any Tesla model (its listed as an option on other car brands) Are they in fact available in the $3K Autopilot. If not , does it take Full Self-driving ($3K+$5K) to get them?

Aside from those features listed in the table, where do the other listed features Rear AEB, LCA, ACC fit if at all. Sorry for all the abbreviations, just trying to keep the post short. They are all defined in the link.

It would be better if you spelled out each one of your acronyms. It wont make the post much longer, and would aid someone who was willing to try to answer your question but was not willing to read through a consumer reports link to figure them out.

Here is an article about model 3 safety:

Tesla Model 3 earns flawless 5-Star safety rating from NHTSA

Reactions: finally_adult
...standard: ...LKA...

"LKA (lane keeping assist): Automatic corrective steering input or braking provided by the vehicle when crossing lane markings."

That's what you call AutoSteer which cost extra to get it. It is not on any base Tesla models. The magazine mistakenly thinks that you do not pay extra for AutoSteer.

Tesla does not brake when your car crosses a lane marking.

...They list BSW and RCTW as not available on any Tesla model...

BSW (blind spot warning): In Tesla, it shows as 1) radiating sonar rays 2) vehicle icons on your instrument clusters. The sonar rays do change their color depending on how close adjacent cars are but vehicle icons do not change colors with distance.

InsideEvs.com

tesla-auto-pilot-blind-spot-test-2-instrument-panel-michael-b-750x262.jpg

I am not sure those displays come in base models or not.

RCTW (rear cross-traffic warning): There's no radars for the rear. Rearward looking cameras are all the way near front wheels. It's questionable how to get rear cross-traffic warning without additional designs for more hardware.

Are there any definitive answers with the latest software versions of the Model 3? You'd think this information would be clearly available on Tesla's site, but it's all very vague with some of it being added with the software updates. Thanks in advance for your replies and here are the various CR acronyms:

FCW (forward-collision warning): Visual and/or audible warning intended alert the driver and prevent a collision.
AEB (automatic emergency braking): Brakes are automatically applied to prevent a collision or reduce collision speed. AEB comes in two forms...
CAEB (city automatic emergency braking): Brakes are automatically applied to prevent a collision or reduce collision severity when traveling at city speed.
HAEB (high-speed automatic emergency braking): Brakes are automatically applied to reduce collision severity when traveling at highway speeds.
PD (pedestrian Detection) - The system can detect pedestrians, then issue warning and trigger automatic emergency braking, if necessary. Some can detect cyclists.
LDW (lane departure warning): Visual, audible, or haptic warning to alert the driver when they are crossing lane markings.
LKA (lane keeping assist): Automatic corrective steering input or braking provided by the vehicle when crossing lane markings.
BSW (blind spot warning): Visual and/or audible notification of vehicle in blind spot. The system may provide an additional warning if you use your turn signal when there is a car next to you in another lane.
RCTW (rear cross-traffic warning): Visual, audible, or haptic notification of object or vehicle out of rear camera range, but could be moving into it.
Rear AEB (rear automatic emergency braking): Brakes are automatically applied to prevent backing into something behind the vehicle. This could be triggered by the rear cross-traffic system, or other sensors on the vehicle.
LCA (lane-centering assist): Continuous active steering to stay in between lanes (active steer, autosteer, etc.)
ACC (adaptive cruise control): Adaptive cruise uses lasers, radar, cameras, or a combination of these systems to keep a constant distance between you and the car ahead, automatically maintaining a safe following distance. If highway traffic slows, some systems will bring the car to a complete stop and automatically come back to speed when traffic gets going again, allowing the driver to do little more than pay attention and steer.

AEB, FCW, BSW and LDW are standard on all models (as is side collision warning/avoidance but that was not only your list). None of these require software updates to "get" them (though some of them improve further with such updates- like they added an audible warning to the existing visual one for blind spot)

ACC and LCA are part of autopilot, which is a paid option that either comes with the car or is added later via OTA update if you buy it later.

AEB, FCW, BSW and LDW are standard on all models (as is side collision warning/avoidance but that was not only your list). None of these require software updates to "get" them (though some of them improve further with such updates- like they added an audible warning to the existing visual one for blind spot)

ACC and LCA are part of autopilot, which is a paid option that either comes with the car or is added later via OTA update if you buy it later.

Also LKA, by definition, since its a subset of LCA.

Rear EAB is partially implemented by standard, as you get obnoxious warnings if you try to back into something, but not autobrake.

No support of RCTW.

The remainder are standard.

I believe Pedestrian Detection is also standard, though I am not sure what the car does with the information.

I only counted it if it did all the needed stuff... the car will (sometimes) DETECT pedestrians- though I've often seen it think a tree behind me was a person and totally not see actual persons.... but it won't really do anything about this info.

Core safety features like emergency brake assist and side impact mitigation are standard on all Model 3s regardless of options chosen.
Yup. One of the amazing things about Tesla that we sometimes forget. Elon is very much safety focused, far more than any other manufacturer with maybe Volvo being the only exception.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I only counted it if it did all the needed stuff... the car will (sometimes) DETECT pedestrians- though I've often seen it think a tree behind me was a person and totally not see actual persons.... but it won't really do anything about this info.
KManAuto (On Youtube, I think is it @islandbayy here) had a video a long time ago of his AP1 car stopping for a human in it's path. Oddly enough no one has done a follow up on AP2/2.5 cars.

KManAuto (On Youtube, I think is it @islandbayy here) had a video a long time ago of his AP1 car stopping for a human in it's path. Oddly enough no one has done a follow up on AP2/2.5 cars.
Yep that is me and Mike. And don't worry, AP 2/2.x tests coming soon. I just picked up a Model X with AP2, so working out the details :) but in my limited driving thus far, AP1 has been better with not getting false alarms. AP2 has almost caused a number of accidents due to constantly brake checking for every little shadow or movement of other vehicles. I am thurrowly NOT impressed with AP2. Even automatic lane change, gets mostly in the other lane, then decides to aggressively swerve back into it's original lane.